Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

DanilJames
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

What is Intel thinking?

Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:14 am

Hello everyone,,
I'm a computer tech for a university and recently bought an intel dh77kc motherboard. It worked right off the bat except only on internal graphics. Every time i tried installing a external gpu it wouldn't show anything. I tried to clear the cmos every way i found with no luck. Now im trying to do a bios recovery of either an older version or a newer one. HOWEVER Intel has removed all bios for their motherboards off of their website. So let me get this straight... they release cpu's with security flaws all over the place but they removed the updated bios that fixed THEIR own issue. This is one of many terrible experiences i've had with them and I am completely done with any Intel products. If anybody has suggestions on how to get this piece of **** motherboard working id greatly appreciate it..

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: What is Intel thinking?

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:07 am

Welcome!

Which graphics card, and did you try another type?

Did you try contacting Intel?

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:33 am

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIOS/ ... 0111.shtml

Does this help? though no guarantees if it screws up your mobo for good.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:01 am

Can you test the GPU in another system to make sure that's not the problem?

Edit:

Also seems a bit of an odd choice to buy a 6YO motherboard for a use case which requires better-than-integrated graphics. Unless there's some other reason you need an older board (legacy PCI support?), this was probably not the best decision.

Given the age of this board, I'm assuming it is used, and that the warranty expired years ago. There's fair odds the PCIe x16 slot is simply dead (fried by something the previous owner did). If the GPU checks out in another system, I'd be willing to bet you simply have a board with a non-functional PCIe slot.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:49 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Can you test the GPU in another system to make sure that's not the problem?

Edit:

Also seems a bit of an odd choice to buy a 6YO motherboard for a use case which requires better-than-integrated graphics. Unless there's some other reason you need an older board (legacy PCI support?), this was probably not the best decision.

Given the age of this board, I'm assuming it is used, and that the warranty expired years ago. There's fair odds the PCIe x16 slot is simply dead (fried by something the previous owner did). If the GPU checks out in another system, I'd be willing to bet you simply have a board with a non-functional PCIe slot.

Not disagreeing about the age of the board... but it does kinda suck that they removed BIOS downloads for boards even that recent. Six years really isn't that old for a desktop, especially for school and business usage; and it ain't like BIOS upgrades take a whole lot of space to host. Their whole catalog of BIOS updates is probably less than a GB...

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:52 pm

Pondering what Intel might be thinking...
:wink:

Security Researcher: “Hey, Intel, your BIOS has these gaping big security holes.”
Intel Bug Investigator: “This whole platform is full of bugs. It’s going to take us weeks and weeks to fix it and validate the fixes.”
Intel Manager: “Nah, we’re not going to spend resources fixing old stuff that doesn’t have a solid revenue stream attached to it. Put your nose back to the grindstone working on that next Skylake refresh that we’re going to roll out as a ‘new’ generation.”
Intel Legal Department: “We can’t keep providing BIOSes that we have publicly acknowledged are defective. Take down any known vulnerable ones until new safe ones are available.”
Intel Web Monkey: “Roger that, taking down the old BIOSes until hell freezes over.”
1: i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32GiB, RX Vega64, ½TB 960Pro +2TB MX500, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, LG 32UD99 + UltraSharp U2410, RK9000V2-BR
2: R5-3600X, Wraith Spire, B450M Steel Legend, 32GiB, RX5500XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, P160, SS-660XP2, TV, G610

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:37 pm