Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

DanilJames
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Problem with A8R-MVP & 2 GB

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:32 am

Hello everyone I upgraded memory to 2 GB of Corsair Platinum. On reboot, the BIOS popped that my overclocking failed. I'd been OC'ing the 1.8 ghz Opteron to 2.5 ghz without any detectable problems. I figured the overclocking message was more due to a change in the memory than a real problem with the OC. Entered BIOS, didn't do much, exited. Then I got a no boot disk message. Back into the BIOS, reassigned a SATA drive to boot priority 1, rebooted. Now everything's working fine. Dual channel, hard drives, but no OC. I start creeping the OC back up, 10 mhz at a time because much more than that and it'll lock. At some point, it fails and the BIOS throws up the OC failed message again.reverse image search email checker port checker

After many reboots, I realize that every time the OC fails and the BIOS prompts to enter setup or load defaults, it goes into setup before loading the SATA ROM. Then when I save changes, since there are no SATA drives detected, it sets the first IDE as boot priority. When I reboot, it tells me I have no boot device. Then I go back to setup, change the boot priority, and start the whole process over. Except now with the 2GB, I seem to be seeing the BIOS error message a lot. Which triggers this whole routine.

Can adding 1GB bring down the OC? I was running 1 GB of Corsair XMS, but I think they were running under 200 mhz. I couldn't get them to run at proper speeds. The BIOS would always run them at 166 even if set at 200. Even though I had less memory then, I had it spread over 3 DIMMS. Now 2x1gb..
Last edited by DanilJames on Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Problem with A8R-MVP & 2 GB

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:21 am

Just out of curiosity, why are we attempting to OC a 15 year old CPU & motherboard?

Anyhow, to answer your question, yes, adding/changing RAM can definitely affect your OC. And early Athlon64/Opteron CPUs did tend to be a little finicky about RAM, so this behavior does not surprise me at all.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.