Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

*C4*
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

PSU's

Mon May 13, 2002 5:41 pm

Hey hey! I currently have a 300W PSU, and after reading an article somewhere (god knows where) I heard that the Geforce 4 needs to run on 400W.. first of all, is this correct? The geforce seems to be running a little slow but I have attributed this to bad ram/cpu combo. I'm wondering if its worth me upgrading, and what are the advantages of 400W over 300W, if any. Any help would be appreciated as I dont know anything at all about PSUs!!

IndigoK7
Gerbil

Mon May 13, 2002 6:14 pm

I'm already running a 400 Watt PSU, but I have a few friends in my gaming org that are running 250's and 300's with the GF4 Ti series just fine.

The benefits of a 400 over a 300?

Well for one thing, the extra overhead for things like extra hard drives, more memory and more expansion slots that you can fill without going over-limit on the PSU. If the power supply is of decent or high quality, you can monitor the fans from a Motherboard Monitor software unit, amongst other things. If you use a good quality PSU, or one approved by AMD/Intel (depending on the platform) you should be ok with 300 watts. There might be motherboard incompatibilities to watch out for at that wattage, but it's not something I'd be too worried about unless you're having definite problems. :)
~ Indigo
Main System: DFI AD70-SC w/ VIA KT266A | 1.4 GHz "Thunderbird" Athlon 512 MB Mushkin PC2100 DDRSDRAM (Hyndai chips) | PNY GeForce4 Ti 4400 AGP 128MB | 40 GB ATA133 7200 RPM Maxtor | SB Audigy | Klipsch v.2-400

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Not so fast....

Tue May 14, 2002 2:37 pm

Not that I'm calling Indigo a liar or anything, but I think he's being a bit on the hard and fast side...

What's the rest of your system spec? Is the PSU approved? What do you do with your system?

If you had a K6-2 like me for example, you can run VERY comfortably on a generic pansy ass 250W setup. If you're running an AXP 2200+ at 2GHz watercooled, with an oc'ed GF4 Ti with RAMsinks and all, and you play Quake 3 Arena non-stop, or run a web server on it, you need stable, guarenteed power...

I agree that you should be fine as far as you've told us about your system and your needs, but maybe a li'l more info would be good.

Once again, this is not a contrary opinion, just a word of caution,
IntelMole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem