Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

Flippajoe
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

HELP! - Tbred wont boot

Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:46 am

Hi, I just recently purchased a Tbred 2200 to complete my new comp, but i'm having trouble booting up for the first time. Mobo lights indicate standby power, and I get flashes from my optical drives and the fans to turn on when i press the power switch, but nothing else happens. No post, no nothing... Is this normal? I was under the impression that when a mobo and cpu were incompatible, you would at least get some kind of message, but its almost as if the damn thing werent even there. I'm running an Abit KR7A-133, and I'm in the process of hunting down a Palomino to try and boot up with that and flash the bios. Is this the likely cause? Any ideas appreciated... thanks

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:13 am

Incompatible CPUs just won't boot. CPUs that just aren't recognized by the BIOS are a different matter.

For flashing the BIOS, any socket A CPU should work, you don't need a Palomino.

Flippajoe
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:19 am

So what's my situation then? I've got a socket A mobo that should handle a palomino just fine, but it wont boot my tbred... what should i hear? should it post? should i get any video signal going to my monitor at all? all i get is the fans to turn on and my dvd and cdrw to blink a few times... my digidoc wont light, i don't hear the hdd spinning up, the floppy doesnt spin up... whats goin on?

TheCollective
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:33 am

That CPU is incompatible with your motherboard. Check Abit's site for BIOS updates that may resolve this.
Resistance is futile.

Flippajoe
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:56 pm

wouldn't it at least give some kind of video output and recognize it as a regular athlon? or would it just refuse to boot until i load the new bios that supports thoroughbred core athlons?

TheCollective
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:04 pm

Flippajoe wrote:
wouldn't it at least give some kind of video output and recognize it as a regular athlon? or would it just refuse to boot until i load the new bios that supports thoroughbred core athlons?

No.

Hardocp's T-Bred article has mysteriously disappeared. However, it does show that Abit motherboards have problems with T-bred CPU's. Look for a BIOS update. If there is none you may have to replace the motherboard. Abit reportedly had problems with some revisions of their motherboards supporting T-breds at all.
Resistance is futile.

Dav27
Gerbil

Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:26 am

Hi there,Try this link for a new Bios.
Regards
Dave.

http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/e ... 3%29&#Bios

pattouk2001
Gerbil Jedi

Ok

Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:52 am

Hi. Ok I'm a computer engineer and I come accross this many a time. You haven't specced your Mobo so I can't say if it will support the T-Bred or not, but hopefully you've reseached this before hand. Any way, your board may just be faulty, the best way to check is to take out ALL the memory and then power up the computer, if you DO NOT get a constant bleep sound from the little speaker situated inside the case which indicates there is no memory installed (make sure the speaker is connected to the boards though) then the board is well and truely shot. In regards to your CDROM and HDD flashing when the system is powered up....they flash when the is ONLY a POWER lead plugged in, so that has not relation to the board, but what you could also try doing is disconnecting the IDE leads off the board and seeing if it boots then, because if it does you have a faulty IDE device somewhere, then it's just a matter of plugging each IDE device in one by one and finding the faulty device. Hope I've helped!

pattouk2001
Gerbil Jedi

Sorry

Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:54 am

Hi, yeh you have specced your board, and it is compatible with a T-Bred as long as you have the latest BIOS upgrade, but still try the above as well.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

yup

Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:29 am

had the same problem with an abit board.. just needed to clear the CMOS.
. .. unplug the motherboard... take out the battery.. wait a minute or so.. and replace. check your manual though.. as sometimes it involves switching a jumper instead of the traditional unplugging of the battery.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

fink
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:38 pm

I had a similar problem. Found that if my 2x256 Mb PC2100 DDR RAM was in slots 1 and 2, the system would do just as you suggested. Moving the RAM around, it quickly became evident that any RAM in slot 1 would kill the system at boot but it ran fine with the RAM slots 2 and 3. Go figure.