Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

yuhong
Gerbil
Topic Author

Anyone have a picture of Sandy Bridge's underside?

Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:02 am

Anyone have a picture of Sandy Bridge's underside similar to the picture in http://techreport.com/articles.x/18216/3? It would help a lot, considering the confusion over LGA1155 and LGA1156.

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Anyone have a picture of Sandy Bridge's underside?

Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:48 am

Yeah, but I promised her I'd never show anybody.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:10 am

IMO it does not matter, you will need a new motherboard due to chipset/VRM requirements change. Really don't know why people still clinging to this false hope of a platform change not needing new motherboards. This is the Intel camp after all. And even if it is AMD, if there is performance enhancement to be had, they would change sockets just as fast.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

mph_Ragnarok
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:26 am

Flying Fox wrote:
IMO it does not matter, you will need a new motherboard due to chipset/VRM requirements change. Really don't know why people still clinging to this false hope of a platform change not needing new motherboards. This is the Intel camp after all. And even if it is AMD, if there is performance enhancement to be had, they would change sockets just as fast.

EXACTLY.

The only real way to guide yourself is to always get the option that has the MOST pins.
I got 1366 but now I sorta regret it because magny cours has 1944 or something. But then again, that was like a year later...

Like when you buy a new phone or camera, you kinda prefer the one with the most heft to it? Like weight is really related to quality?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:54 am

mph_Ragnarok wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

EXACTLY.

The only real way to guide yourself is to always get the option that has the MOST pins.
I got 1366 but now I sorta regret it because magny cours has 1944 or something. But then again, that was like a year later...

Like when you buy a new phone or camera, you kinda prefer the one with the most heft to it? Like weight is really related to quality?

PUI? :o
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:18 am

bdwilcox wrote:
Yeah, but I promised her I'd never show anybody.

<3