Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

cal_guy
Gerbil
Topic Author

Help with a dispute over a dedicated server

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:44 pm

I've rented a dedicated server from a outfit called datasoft that promised a server with 2x L5639. For the first month everything was fine, but shortly before the start of the second month I noticed that they had capped the processors at 1733 mhz so after some back and forth (and trying to convince me that the CPU were running normally by highlighting the 2.13 Ghz on the Windows system properties panel and hoping I miss the 1.73 Ghz right below it) they admitted that the processor was capped at 1733 mhz because they were running into electrical issues. So I'm trying to do CC chargeback, but they need someone with professional experience to provide a letter that confirms that the L5639 runs at a 2133 mhz base frequency. Unfortunately I don't know anyone personally that fits the bill so I'm asking if anyone can help me here.

AntiSp4wn
Gerbil

Re: Help with a dispute over a dedicated server

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:36 pm

http://ark.intel.com/products/47927

Citing (printing, saving, sending) official Intel documentation won't do?

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:33 pm

Isn't the CPU simply in power-saving mode?

Get a Prime95 instance going and check CPU-Z. See what clock comes up.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

cal_guy
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:43 pm

AntiSp4wn wrote:
http://ark.intel.com/products/47927

Citing (printing, saving, sending) official Intel documentation won't do?

A letter is what the CC agent told to get, and I was honestly surprised at the request. The L5639 is actually a 6-core version of the L5630 and it's actually not on ARK, but I have found an Intel document online that shows the specifications of the L5639.

morphine wrote:
Isn't the CPU simply in power-saving mode?

Get a Prime95 instance going and check CPU-Z. See what clock comes up.

One of their support staff eventually confirmed to me that they lower the speed because it was tripping electrical circuits. I've checked a few utilities like CPU-Z, wmic from the cmd line, and HWINFO which told me Turbo was off as well.