Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

raha12ae
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

What developer skills can build an eLearning platform?

Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:42 am

Hi

My name is Rasmus and I am in the process of creating an eLearning platform for students who can teach each other. More specifically I want to build this platform: https://vimeo.com/1143136495
The platform is based on the following API: https://tokbox.com

My question is what type of Developer can build this? The process to build it should not take more than 5 months.
- Can a student developer build this or should it be an professional?
- Also, is it enough with one developer or do I need more to build it in less than 5 months?
- What specific skills should I look for when hiring a developer who can build it?

I am looking very much forward to hear from you! If you would be interested in building it with me please let me know!
Best,
Rasmus Hansen

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: What developer skills can build an eLearning platform?

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:00 am

Your Vimeo link is broken, and tokbox is just a media embedding API so we have no idea what sort of platform you're actually trying to target. Without any information about what you're trying to create beyond a one-sentence description, it is impossible to say whether this is reasonable for a single student developer, or if you need a team of experienced professionals.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

raha12ae
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:09 am

just brew it! wrote:
Your Vimeo link is broken, and tokbox is just a media embedding API so we have no idea what sort of platform you're actually trying to target. Without any information about what you're trying to create beyond a one-sentence description, it is impossible to say whether this is reasonable for a single student developer, or if you need a team of experienced professionals.

Sorry about that and thanks for letting me know. If you type in this in your browser it should find the vimeo video: vimeo.com/114313649

morphine
TR Staff

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:38 am

After looking at the video, it seems you're looking for a fourth partner for your startup idea, who will proceed to implement the system.

The thing is, no offense, that fourth person will the one doing almost everything. Because as far as I can tell, there don't seem to be any really new ideas in the project - perhaps only the way they're put together. So what's really needed is a very well-executed implementation of it.

As for the original questions, and assuming you mean to have a full working product and not just a proof-of-concept:

- One person is not enough. You need a team of several people working many months, at least if you want to do this properly.

- No, students can't really develop this - only perhaps if they are part of a team with more experienced people. The problem with a student, no matter how skilled he/she is, is that he won't have any real-world experience with handling any sort of situation where things go wrong. And when you're building web applications in particular, well, everything can and will go wrong. There are other sections of the project where you can use students

- I very much doubt you can do this in 5 months. Perhaps with a large enough team.

- The skillset you're asking for is actually several people with not all of them being developers

---- Web developer / software engineer (several, at least one of which should be handling integration alone)
---- A systems analyst and project manager if you foresee many details beyond what's in the video
---- System administrator (more than one depending on how many people you expect to serve and/or having to manage many different servers and pieces of software)
---- User experience and graphic designer (probably more than one)
---- QA lead
---- Testers
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(