Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Qt Tutorials

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:33 am

Does anyone have any leads on some good Qt tutorials for Qt4 or Qt5? Anything specifically related to QML would be great?

There is the official documentation at doc.qt.io, but I'm wondering what else is out there. I haven't done any GUI programming in a while, like fifteen years, and I'd like to dust off that knowledge.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Qt Tutorials

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:40 am

Ditto. Sounds like I'm in a similar situation; I've been pretty deep in the embedded world for a number of years now. With powerful, low-power CPUs being so widespread these days the line between the embedded and GUI worlds is going away for all but the simplest, cheapest microcontrollers. Time to get up to speed on current GUI tech.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:59 am

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Does anyone have any leads on some good Qt tutorials for Qt4 or Qt5? Anything specifically related to QML would be great?

There is the official documentation at doc.qt.io, but I'm wondering what else is out there. I haven't done any GUI programming in a while, like fifteen years, and I'd like to dust off that knowledge.

I've messed around with QML a little [and I do mean little] bit.

One demo/tutorial from an outside source I've found is here: http://v-play.net/doc/vplay-qml-and-qtcreator-usage/
And here's an online book about QML: http://qmlbook.github.io/index.html

I've also taken the source for some of the demos at doc.qt.io and modified them for fun & no-profit.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:04 am

I am actually doing this now...I had mostly been doing command-line only C/CUDA/C++ programming the last couple of years, and I need to make some graphical programs for some side projects. Honestly, I think Qt's tutorials and documentation are plenty thorough if you're not new to C++. Trolltech/Nokia/Digia/WHOEVER THE HELL IS RUNNING THIS SHIP THESE DAYS has consistently put out good documentation compared to a lot of other projects.

Relevant Stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5734 ... -beginners
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:29 pm

CampinCarl wrote:
Honestly, I think Qt's tutorials and documentation are plenty thorough if you're not new to C++. Trolltech/Nokia/Digia/WHOEVER THE HELL IS RUNNING THIS SHIP THESE DAYS has consistently put out good documentation compared to a lot of other projects.

Qt is its own company now. Digia spun them off to better focus on Qt, or something like that.

They do have a lot of information. It's much better then the projects who's doc links point to a Github repo. It could be laid out better though.

I'm thinking they added somethings since I last looked at it, or I was rushing at the time.

GatoRat
Gerbil In Training

Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:34 pm

I feel your pain. For UI work, I prefer Qt over everything else, but learning it isn't very easy. (And I haven't even touched QML)