Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Windows falls as a development platform, OS X rises

Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:44 pm

Concupiscence wrote:
Eh, it's all the same train, there are just different cars...

It was tongue in cheek mocking of ultima_trev.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:58 pm

Krogoth wrote:
Macolytes shouldn't get all too excited. The pink elephant in room is that *nix slowly but surely taking over the enterprise space. Microsoft's massive misstep with Windows 8 is biting them in arse. Windows 10 and UWP initiatives came a little too late to change the tide.

Microsoft is falling into similar traps that befell Sears and GM. They all get too complacent at their height and senior management made blunder after blunder which allow competition to sweep in and take over.

With Old Microsoft, I'd say that MS is in increasing levels of trouble. But New Microsoft has been releasing everything for Linux or open source: .NET, VS Code, Typescript, SQL Server, Azure, etc. They're gearing up for anyone to use whatever OS they want and still have a MS option.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:59 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:
Eh, it's all the same train, there are just different cars...

It was tongue in cheek mocking of ultima_trev.

Rightly so, I was just dismissing dev environment holy wars completely. Unless you're only targeting one platform, you'll usually find yourself engaging with more than one anyway. Two developer friends of mine typically work from home and use OS X as their everyday environments. Long compiles get farmed out to Linux-running compute nodes they keep at home - some kind of small profile Core i7 in a box with a small SSD, IIRC - which also serve as software testbeds, and one of them's set up a (hilarious-looking) compute cluster of Raspberry Pi 2's to speed up ARM compile times.
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

w76
Gerbil

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:58 pm

I'm a little surprised, but I'm in an older industry with legacy software and absolutely everything is Windows based, no matter how dumb that might be (even industrial equipment running Win98).

This all sounds good, though, really. Competition is good. Microsoft, most of us would agree, need it.

Other than that, always happy to see Babylon 5 get a mention.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:40 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The lack of standard DisplayPort and Ethernet jacks is kind of retarded,

Mini DisplayPort is a standard (as of DisplayPort 1.2). Hopefully Apple (and the entire industry) will quickly transition to Thunderbolt 3 with Type-C.

I'm the only one who uses the ethernet port on their MBP at work (802.11ac rocks) and even then it is a rare thing (network config/testing).

End User

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:52 pm

kamikaziechameleon wrote:
I was in an office that made the switch over from macs to windows 6 years ago when adobe stopped offering GPU rendering acceleration on that platform. Instead of having to buy us all new 5,000 dollar Mac Pro's they could get a 1,500 dollar Dell

I just double checked and I see that the current version of Illustrator recognizes the AMD GPU that came with one of our $2,300 5K iMacs.

You could get a cheaper 5K Dell but it would be missing a few things.

localhostrulez

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:37 pm

End User wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Mini DisplayPort is a standard (as of DisplayPort 1.2). Hopefully Apple (and the entire industry) will quickly transition to Thunderbolt 3 with Type-C.

I'm the only one who uses the ethernet port on their MBP at work (802.11ac rocks) and even then it is a rare thing (network config/testing).

I wish we could abandon full size Displayport entirely - it's bigger than the mini port, adds nothing, and physically feels a bit clunky IMO. Consumer devices went to mini (if anything), and business machines went to full size (though those laptops are moving to mini as well).

Ethernet though... you don't think it's important until you randomly need it (router issues, corporate environments, whatever). I don't need a ridiculously thin machine, just leave it alone. Never had that issue with no DVD drive though, fwiw.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:24 pm

DancinJack wrote:
The lack of ethernet and standard DP is a little stupid though.

I actually prefer their solution for ethernet on my Mackbook Pro. Rather use the TB dongle. Easily replaced if the ethernet connector gets screwed (something that I have done and seen on a few laptops that with retention systems that make it damn near impossible to get some cables out.)

As far as the DP goes, it really should be the other way around. A full sized connector offers nothing over the mini other than bulk. The mini is also easier to plug in and out.

Concupiscence wrote:
and one of them's set up a (hilarious-looking) compute cluster of Raspberry Pi 2's to speed up ARM compile times.

Dear God why? He knows he doesn't have to compile on a ARM chip for ARM binaries right?

End User wrote:
I just double checked and I see that the current version of Illustrator recognizes the AMD GPU that came with one of our $2,300 5K iMacs.

That’s because they always have. He was just spewing BS. The only possible time I could see that happening is if they were using an ancient Carbon based version through Rosetta.

End User wrote:

Nope use mine all the time for network diagnostics and when it is plugged in at home for faster TimeMachine backups (no AC router yet, still using the RT-N66U). Have two of the adapters, one stays attached to the ethernet cable at home and another travels with the Mac on my ventures in the case.

End User

Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:41 pm

Deanjo wrote:
Carbon based version through Rosetta.

That took me on a trip down memory lane.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:00 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
End User wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I wish we could abandon full size Displayport entirely - it's bigger than the mini port, adds nothing, and physically feels a bit clunky IMO. Consumer devices went to mini (if anything), and business machines went to full size (though those laptops are moving to mini as well).

Ethernet though... you don't think it's important until you randomly need it (router issues, corporate environments, whatever). I don't need a ridiculously thin machine, just leave it alone. Never had that issue with no DVD drive though, fwiw.

Displayport 1.4 will use USB-C.

OSX is great for mobile app development, wouldn't use it for much else if I had the choice.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:19 pm

End User wrote:
Deanjo wrote:
Carbon based version through Rosetta.

That took me on a trip down memory lane.

More like a horrible nightmare, I'm sure.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:36 am

The whole debate over what OS makes the best development platform is kind of silly these days anyway, given that virtualization solutions are readily available (and free) on all major platforms.

Edit: Running a second virtualized guest OS on my primary desktop has been part of my day job workflow for at least half a decade now... with the host OS having been Windows, Linux, and OS X (at three different jobs)!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.