Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Windows falls as a development platform, OS X rises

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:18 am

No doubt about it, Mac's and OS X are great development platforms.

http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/18/os-x-vers ... /?pushup=1

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Windows falls as a development platform, OS X rises

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:32 am

Mac's what? You used a possessive. ;)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:43 am

I'm probably going out on a limb here, but it's possible that 9to5mac.com has a slight bias. For instance, notice how they're only listing Windows 7 specifically, rather than all current versions of Windows.

I'd like to see all of Windows versus one specific version of OS X.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:47 am

The Egg wrote:
I'm probably going out on a limb here, but it's possible that 9to5mac.com has a slight bias. For instance, notice how they're only listing Windows 7 specifically, rather than all current versions of Windows.

I'd like to see all of Windows versus one specific version of OS X.

Read the survey. It is using pretty much word or word the survey results.

http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2016

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:51 am

There is WAY more interesting stuff in that survey than a platform fanboy war.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:54 am

OS x... what an interesting platform. The OS is fine but Apples management of hardware for the platform has really hampered its actual relevancy. Their insistence on locking dedicated GPU’s to literally the top tier products has rendered them irrelevant. They are in such a small portion of the ALL PREMIUM apple OS X lineup that it’s a joke. No software can reliably take advantage of that niche hardware. Its why All major apps for graphics and engineering are either windows exclusive or just run better on windows.

I like OS X, and I want to like Apple’s offerings, but their insistence on relying on Intel graphics (while charging a crazy premium) has rendered their hardware relevancy to the back of the line. And as a result the software support for their platform continues to dwindle in spite of record popularity with millennials and grandparents.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:57 am

kamikaziechameleon wrote:
OS x... what an interesting platform. The OS is fine but Apples management of hardware for the platform has really hampered its actual relevancy. Their insistence on locking dedicated GPU’s to literally the top tier products has rendered them irrelevant. They are in such a small portion of the ALL PREMIUM apple OS X lineup that it’s a joke. No software can reliably take advantage of that niche hardware. Its why All major apps for graphics and engineering are either windows exclusive or just run better on windows.

I like OS X, and I want to like Apple’s offerings, but their insistence on relying on Intel graphics (while charging a crazy premium) has rendered their hardware relevancy to the back of the line. And as a result the software support for their platform continues to dwindle in spite of record popularity with millennials and grandparents.

Dwindle? Lol, look again, it just keeps getting larger and larger.

SuperSpy

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:19 am

I can't help but laugh at the usage of Big Macs to normalize purchasing power between countries.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

seeker010
Gerbil First Class

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:31 am

I never trust any developer who picks Star Wars over Star Trek. This survey only confirms my suspicions that talented developers are a dying breed.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:32 am

Standard issue computing device at my current employer is a MacBook Pro. That goes for everyone, including R&D.

I actually spend most of my time in a Debian VM. This works reasonably well, though the GPU struggles visibly (it lags when dragging windows around) when connected to an external 4K monitor.

The lack of standard DisplayPort and Ethernet jacks is kind of retarded, but hey I'm not paying for the special cables/dongles out of my own pocket, so whatever.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:33 am

seeker010 wrote:
I never trust any developer who picks Star Wars over Star Trek. This survey only confirms my suspicions that talented developers are a dying breed.

+1

Edit: Just to add my experience. MBP is our standard dev machine too. I like developing on OS X much much much more than Windows. And I made them give me a Thunderbolt display so the port thing isn't quite as big of a deal for me. The lack of ethernet and standard DP is a little stupid though.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

ultima_trev
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:49 am

I don't believe it, not for a second. UNIX / Linux I could believe, my company uses almost all Red Hat or AIX for production and dev projects. But really, outside of pretentious artsy, hipster "prosumer" markets, OSX (just like iOS) has no place in the professional tech world.
Ryzen 7 1800X - Corsair H60i - GA AB350 Gaming - 32GB DDR4 2933 at 16,16,16,36 - GTX 1080 at 1924 / 5264 (undervolted) - 250GB WD Blue SSD - 2TB Toshiba 7200rpm HDD

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:52 am

Deanjo wrote:

Dwindle? Lol, look again, it just keeps getting larger and larger.

Maybe for Coding but on the Graphics end of the spectrum Mac has totally forfeited its un challenged supremacy. Engineering apps are not better served on their platform. I was in an office that made the switch over from macs to windows 6 years ago when adobe stopped offering GPU rendering acceleration on that platform. Instead of having to buy us all new 5,000 dollar Mac Pro's they could get a 1,500 dollar Dell, and the software was better, more plentiful and cheaper. The reasons professional graphics and engineering development really forked away from Mac has only grown. Not to say that all companies or businesses are abandoning it, obviously coding/development is deeply entrenched in OSx. But there is allot of other anomalies happening in that industry so the Mac preference is the least odd trend.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:57 am

ultima_trev wrote:
I don't believe it, not for a second. UNIX / Linux I could believe, my company uses almost all Red Hat or AIX for production and dev projects. But really, outside of pretentious artsy, hipster "prosumer" markets, OSX (just like iOS) has no place in the professional tech world.

So just because you use something, that's what you could believe, and when you don't use something, that's when you can't believe? Then I refuse to believe it's anything other than 95% Windows, since that's what most of my employer's software runs on.

See how that line of reasoning sucks?

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:22 am

OS X is the only platform which you can develop iOS apps on. Ergo, if you are a mobile developer, you need an OS X system.

Monopolistic lock-in at its finest.

Beelzebubba9
Gerbil

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:33 am

SuperSpy wrote:
I can't help but laugh at the usage of Big Macs to normalize purchasing power between countries.

The Big Mac index is from The Economist and they've used it, I believe, since the 1980s.

maxxcool
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:36 am

So much bs clickbait... Win7+win10+win8 is what 50-ish % ... The sample pool is also missing server 2008, server 2012... 24% vs 50% is not a win make

http://stackoverflow.com/research/devel ... 5-collapse

Note this slide... Without win10... Sure there's a 8% ish osx increase.. But there's still 2x as many windows dev still ATM.

Berevity via phone app.
Last edited by maxxcool on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cybert said: Capitlization and periods are hard for you, aren't they? I've given over $100 to techforums. I should have you banned for my money.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:36 am

This survey also ranks Delphi above Typescript and Bash.

As a Typescript developer, I can tell you this survey deserves less credibility than Trump Linux Mint's security. There is no way Typescript is used more than Bash.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:40 am

NTMBK wrote:
OS X is the only platform which you can develop iOS apps on. Ergo, if you are a mobile developer, you need an OS X system.

Yeah, that is true. I wouldn't have a Mac here without it. OTOH, it can also run every (relevant) OS under the sun. If I wanted to boot into Windows or a Linux distro, it can do that too. Thanks to VMs you don't even have to do that.

Beelzebubba9
Gerbil

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:47 am

ultima_trev wrote:
But really, outside of pretentious artsy, hipster "prosumer" markets, OSX (just like iOS) has no place in the professional tech world.

It's a good thing your anecdotal opinion is jut as factually based as the data in the survey, eh?

I work in enterprise IT in NYC and MacBook Airs/Pros are by far the most common PC in every vertical I participate in. Even for people with a heavy MS/Azure focus like I have, OS X's superior hypervisor support and integration makes is an easy choice for running multi-platform workloads.

End User

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:50 am

ultima_trev wrote:

What a load of crap. I live in a linux based server world at work and OS X fits right in. OS X is a UNIX 03 registered product. At the very least it is as good as any desktop Linux distro.

As far as iOS is concerned it is widely accepted as a leader in the enterprise market. Just ask IBM.

End User

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:53 am

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:04 am

61% of Perl devs hate Perl according to the survey. That survey must have a poor sample. :D
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:17 am

ultima_trev wrote:

You have no idea what you're talking about. OS X has a stronger claim to being a "real" UNIX than Linux does, given that it is based on the original BSD code base (instead of being a from-scratch re-implementation of the APIs).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:38 am

Macolytes shouldn't get all too excited. The pink elephant in room is that *nix slowly but surely taking over the enterprise space. Microsoft's massive misstep with Windows 8 is biting them in arse. Windows 10 and UWP initiatives came a little too late to change the tide.

Microsoft is falling into similar traps that befell Sears and GM. They all get too complacent at their height and senior management made blunder after blunder which allow competition to sweep in and take over.

It is a happy coincidence that OS X in its current form (based on BSD) shares many similarities to *nix family. So developing applications to work under *nix and OS X is child's play when compared to developing an application to work under NT, *nix and OS X.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:21 pm

Krogoth wrote:
Macolytes shouldn't get all too excited. The pink elephant in room is that *nix slowly but surely taking over the enterprise space. Microsoft's massive misstep with Windows 8 is biting them in arse. Windows 10 and UWP initiatives came a little too late to change the tide.

Microsoft is falling into similar traps that befell Sears and GM. They all get too complacent at their height and senior management made blunder after blunder which allow competition to sweep in and take over.

It is a happy coincidence that OS X in its current form (based on BSD) shares many similarities to *nix family. So developing applications to work under *nix and OS X is child's play when compared to developing an application to work under NT, *nix and OS X.

This is all true. I just wish Apple had bothered to update OpenGL since the release of 10.9 and would incorporate Vulkan... Being stuck at OpenGL 4.1 is starting to pinch, and Metal's only an answer if you intend to stay within Apple's lines.
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:40 pm

I was in an office that made the switch over from macs to windows 6 years ago when adobe stopped offering GPU rendering acceleration on that platform.

When did that supposedly happen? (Adobe stuff still offers GPU rendering acceleration on OS X and gpgpu acceleration, through openCL or Cuda if you have an nvidia card. They are also soon to release Metal accelerated version of their apps.)

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:45 pm

just brew it! wrote:
ultima_trev wrote:

You have no idea what you're talking about. OS X has a stronger claim to being a "real" UNIX than Linux does, given that it is based on the original BSD code base (instead of being a from-scratch re-implementation of the APIs).

Yup, fact is that OS X is UNIX 2003 registered and compliant product. Linux is a "UNIX-like" OS.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:10 pm

But guyyyyyyyysssssssssss, if you don't use RHEL or IBM you're not a true *nix user and you're a pretentious hipster.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:40 pm

DancinJack wrote:
But guyyyyyyyysssssssssss, if you don't use RHEL or IBM you're not a true *nix user and you're a pretentious hipster.

Eh, it's all the same train, there are just different cars...
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/