Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Re: Is freelancing supposed to be this hard or do I just suc

Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:01 pm

I don't work in software, but my work in hardware has taught me a few common ideas that are almost useful.

1)Read + lead the industry. If there is growing demand for X programming language + Y software, master X + Y and try to stay with the demand. To stay above the water, you must* be willing to adapt to the times.

1a) Some skills are eternally in demand, pay well, and tend to have long term contracts. There is usually a catch with these. If you can find and master one of these, you'll be in pretty good shape.

2) What you specialize in significantly affects what you will be paid. Since you mentioned Wordpress plugins, I'm going to use that as an example. Wordpress plugins are great and all, but (a majority of) Wordpress' user base isn't exactly the most technically competent group. Due to this, they will likely underestimate the work that needs to be done, likely underpay, and likely have unrealistic demands. Basically, if and when you specialize, just keep who would be asking for your work in mind.

3) It's not what you know; it's who you know. (And to get people to be willing to recommend you, you need to know how to do something well. It's a paradox.)
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:18 am

meerkt wrote:
Wouldn't you assume this isn't true in companies such as, say, Intel? At least in the higher than entry-level positions.

My sister works in a big semi-conductor related company, and from what I hear from her there are plenty of colleagues bumbling around. I bet they're still pretty smart people though, just maybe not quite smart enough for the position in which they've found themselves

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:35 am

Firestarter wrote:
meerkt wrote:
Wouldn't you assume this isn't true in companies such as, say, Intel? At least in the higher than entry-level positions.

My sister works in a big semi-conductor related company, and from what I hear from her there are plenty of colleagues bumbling around. I bet they're still pretty smart people though, just maybe not quite smart enough for the position in which they've found themselves

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.