Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Application development or Help Desk, both?

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:51 pm

Glorious wrote:
JBI wrote:
He's better than many devs with 4 (or more!) year degrees, but the lack of academic credentials came really close to sinking his chances.

The best programmer I've ever known *might* have an associate degree. In any event, his resume doesn't list it.

He just started doing it in high school and was so ridiculously good at it that he walked right into a job.

Yeah, this was similar, except management/HR really fought the R&D group on the hire. IIRC he was working part-time as a game dev when he was still in high school. Very hands-on, knows the low-level stuff, and while he doesn't have the formal training a lot of it is just second nature because he's lived it since he was a teenager.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:51 pm

Redocbew wrote:
I don't think I've ever met another developer who isn't self taught by some amount, and once you're on the job being able to teach yourself new languages and platforms usually becomes a requirement in its self.

And that goes back to points made by numerous people in numerous threads over the last few months. You have to want to do it, you have to want to work through the hard parts, you have to have a goal in mind, you have to make progress towards that goal, and most importantly you just have to actually do it and see it through to completion. Real developers ship products. Until then it's just another whm circle jerk thread.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:52 pm

Redocbew wrote:
I don't think I've ever met another developer who isn't self taught by some amount, and once you're on the job being able to teach yourself new languages and platforms usually becomes a requirement in its self.

It is definitely a requirement if you want to keep advancing your career without moving into management.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:02 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I realize that if you're still in school (or a recent grad) you may not have a job history, but we at least want to see something. Languages you know, projects you've completed as part of your coursework, anything you've done on the side, that kind of thing.

Some of the best advice I ever got while in school was to save all my senior level projects. Use that as your base of work, and even if it's not written in the same language as you'll be using at the job at least it's better than walking in cold off the street. Some people are perfectly competent as developers, but don't really have the gift of gab so to speak and probably won't fare so well if that's all they have to go on.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:12 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

And that goes back to points made by numerous people in numerous threads over the last few months. You have to want to do it, you have to want to work through the hard parts, you have to have a goal in mind, you have to make progress towards that goal, and most importantly you just have to actually do it and see it through to completion. Real developers ship products. Until then it's just another whm circle jerk thread.

If I wasn't serious about this, I wouldn't have applied for Financial Aid yesterday morning now would I?

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:17 pm

Redocbew wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
I realize that if you're still in school (or a recent grad) you may not have a job history, but we at least want to see something. Languages you know, projects you've completed as part of your coursework, anything you've done on the side, that kind of thing.

Some of the best advice I ever got while in school was to save all my senior level projects. Use that as your base of work, and even if it's not written in the same language as you'll be using at the job at least it's better than walking in cold off the street. Some people are perfectly competent as developers, but don't really have the gift of gab so to speak and probably won't fare so well if that's all they have to go on.

I figured if nothing else, I'll learn one or two languages and get really good at them, and then I'll learn other languages later.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:12 pm

whm1974 wrote:
If I wasn't serious about this, I wouldn't have applied for Financial Aid yesterday morning now would I?

I guess we'll find out. You're not on the hook for anything until you're enrolled.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

toastie
Gerbil

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:13 pm

I started my career in Tech Support, and spent the first half trying to get out. My overall suggestion is not to start there if you can go straight into development. So, study development in school. It is easier to go from Dev to Support than the other way around. You'll learn a lot in school that you may not pick up later, and there are some things that you just won't learn 'on the job'. In particular, if you really want to learn computer engineering or something along academic lines, that's not something you'll necessarily pick up in a job.

As for the pay, Development is a lot better than Tech Support, and I'm pretty sure that in 10 years, most support jobs will be replaced by AI systems of some sort anyway.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:16 pm

toastie wrote:
I'm pretty sure that in 10 years, most support jobs will be replaced by AI systems of some sort anyway.

Even finding a meat-ware help desk jockey that can pass the Turing test is rare these days.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
toastie wrote:
I'm pretty sure that in 10 years, most support jobs will be replaced by AI systems of some sort anyway.

Even finding a meat-ware help desk jockey that can pass the Turing test is rare these days.

They don't pay enough to attract intelligent people in the US (not at entry level, anyway), because there's too much competition from overseas. So it doesn't matter where they're hired, there's a barrier to working with all of them.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:21 pm

whm1974 wrote:

Yup. And don't let up. You will have good days where things seem to be going great, and bad days where you'll be wondering whether you'll ever figure stuff out. Just keep pushing.

whm1974 wrote:
I figured if nothing else, I'll learn one or two languages and get really good at them, and then I'll learn other languages later.

Yeah... a big part of it is just learning how to "think like the computer" (variables, control flow, etc.), how to approach problems in a disciplined manner (breaking them down into manageable chunks which can be coded as classes and/or functions), and how to debug your code when things go wrong. These skills are broadly portable across languages.

toastie
Gerbil

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:43 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
toastie wrote:

They don't pay enough to attract intelligent people in the US (not at entry level, anyway), because there's too much competition from overseas. So it doesn't matter where they're hired, there's a barrier to working with all of them.

My academic background was in the sciences (in the US), so I didn't have formal CS or EE training. After graduation, I went to work for an ISP doing tech support back in the mid 90s, when commercial Internet was new. Then from there to corporate IT, then supporting external customers for a number of companies. From customer support, I moved to Professional Services, and from there to application development. At each level I picked up new skills, (system administration for Windows, Linux, Mac), SQL, Java, and now Python, Swift, and other things. And while I am a developer, there are clear gaps in my skills compared to my colleagues who went through formal CS education. I will say that the skills I developed doing Support are useful, particularly as I have an analytical mind, but I'm glad I got out of Support as it can be a career dead-end if you want to learn technical skills. However, if you're more into a management track, support could be the way to go.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:55 pm

toastie wrote:
I started my career in Tech Support, and spent the first half trying to get out. My overall suggestion is not to start there if you can go straight into development. So, study development in school. It is easier to go from Dev to Support than the other way around. You'll learn a lot in school that you may not pick up later, and there are some things that you just won't learn 'on the job'. In particular, if you really want to learn computer engineering or something along academic lines, that's not something you'll necessarily pick up in a job.

As for the pay, Development is a lot better than Tech Support, and I'm pretty sure that in 10 years, most support jobs will be replaced by AI systems of some sort anyway.

Thanks for the advice. I'll avoid tech support and stick with programming. The World will always need programmers for something or another.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:00 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Waco wrote:
SQL is a fun (and not simple at all) dive into efficient queries. I'm a bit out of touch - do dev degrees include assembly, C, or anything low-level these days? I'm always short on developers that actually understand how hardware works. :(

Another anecdote for your consideration...

During my CS work (starting in 2004 and finishing in 2009), and even to this day (I just looked at the courses required to grad with CS at my school - a public, state Uni), we were required to take multiple low-level focused courses.

Embedded Systems that included C and Assembly.
Digital Logic Design while not exactly what we're talking about, and VHDL.
Computer Architecture which included multiple low-level topics and languages.
Programming Languages which is kind of an audit of a lot of stuff just trying to give you a good basis of things you hadn't learned through your previous two or three years in the program.
Compiler Construction was usually C or PASCAL.
Introduction to Operating Systems which mostly covered Linux and all its underlying craziness.

There are quite a few more electives that you could take to beef up on more low-level stuff, but these are the ones that were required to graduate in CS at my school. IMO a pretty decent foundation of low-level stuff to have when you're only 22-25 or however old when you graduate.

Edit: FWIW, I do want to emphasize that my CS program was in the Engineering school at my Uni. There are A LOT of CS programs in the Math/Liberal Arts schools at a lot of universities. There is a big, big difference in the underlying courses required to really get into the nitty gritty depending on which school you're in, and I think that's a big part of why the cirriculum is halfway decent at my school.

If you don't mind me asking, what school was this? It's rare to find CS programs within the Engineering schools. Clemson used to do this although I feel the focus is much more on the "trendy" languages these days without a whole lot of "what is the computer actually doing" type of thought. I find that anyone with a Computer Engineering degree tends to have the skill set I'm looking for, but any CS majors from schools that have curriculum like this are interesting.

Thanks for the anecdote!
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:18 pm

The CS curriculum DancinJack describes sounds fairly similar to the one taught by the Engineering school at U of I back in the '80s (when I was there). The general impression I'm getting these days is that an increasing percentage of CS programs aren't like that any more. But even back then, there were less hardware-centric ones (heck, even U of I had one, through their Mathematics department instead of the Engineering school).

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:20 pm

OK some of the impressions I'm getting from this thread is that a lot of schools don't teach C and Assembly or at least they not are required courses to take. I'm under the impression that an understanding of both makes for better developers. I'm also of the thought that knowing both C and C++ will allow one to write for any platform.

I feel that knowing both C and C++ will help my career since my longer term goal is game development.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:34 pm

Don't get stuck in the mindset that you're limited to what is being taught in the curriculum at your school. Taking formal classes is just one piece of the puzzle.

There's an amazing amount of cheap hardware available these days if you want to tinker at that level (jeez, a Raspberry Pi Zero is just $5!), free software (the development tools and libraries available in a typical Linux distro's repository would've cost thousands of dollars back in the day), and reams of free information available on the internet. If you're motivated to learn this stuff the resources are there, and cheap/free.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:36 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Don't get stuck in the mindset that you're limited to what is being taught in the curriculum at your school. Taking formal classes is just one piece of the puzzle.

There's an amazing amount of cheap hardware available these days if you want to tinker at that level (jeez, a Raspberry Pi Zero is just $5!), free software (the development tools and libraries available in a typical Linux distro's repository would've cost thousands of dollars back in the day), and reams of free information available on the internet. If you're motivated to learn this stuff the resources are there.

Thanks for the encouragement JBI. I guess I will have to start somewhere, don't I?

FlamingSpaceJunk
Gerbil

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:45 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Software Development(010C)

I really want to get into programming...

Software Development hands down. The technical knowledge will advance you further then the tech support classes. Technical support is important, but the best techs are the ones who know how things work and are put together.

FlamingSpaceJunk
Gerbil

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Waco wrote:
I'm a bit out of touch - do dev degrees include assembly, C, or anything low-level these days?

It depends on the institution, and what their focus is. Also, the student. The university I went to focused on systems programming, but most professors let the students pick which language they used for the assignments. Java was a popular choice among the students. Not anything I would touch, but quite a few people did.

just brew it! wrote:

You'll also get more if you ask questions about the assignments. Professors are there to be resources to aid your learning, and contrary to popular belief, they can't distill all of their knowledge and transfer it in a 16 week semester.

free software (the development tools and libraries available in a typical Linux distro's repository would've cost thousands of dollars back in the day), and reams of free information available on the internet.

I was thinking about this the other day. Youngsters will never know the pain of not having the money to pay for basic programming tools, or have to figure out how to work the system. :)

FlamingSpaceJunk
Gerbil

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:25 pm

whm1974 wrote:
OK some of the impressions I'm getting from this thread is that a lot of schools don't teach C and Assembly or at least they not are required courses to take. I'm under the impression that an understanding of both makes for better developers. I'm also of the thought that knowing both C and C++ will allow one to write for any platform.

I feel that knowing both C and C++ will help my career since my longer term goal is game development.

You have to understand the point isn't to teach you tools (C, C++, Python, etc.), but to teach you the concepts. Really, the language isn't important. It's nice to have experience with the syntax of language X, but that's just a by product.

While assembly is interesting to know, it's not really needed. Compilers are already very optimized, and if you can improve on their code, you should join the compiler team. :)

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:39 pm

FlamingSpaceJunk wrote:
You have to understand the point isn't to teach you tools (C, C++, Python, etc.), but to teach you the concepts. Really, the language isn't important.

I would agree, except that many concepts aren't taught at all if you're using high-level languages. Sure, assembly isn't super useful, but the mindset that comes from learning it is. Memory management is foreign to most programmers - especially when it comes to actually optimizing code to be efficient.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

FlamingSpaceJunk
Gerbil

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:41 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I just installed Mono and Mono Basic in Manjaro.

.NET Core is available on Linux, so that can be used instead of Mono.

How well can I write cross platform applications with C# and Visual Basic for both Windows and Linux?

That's something I've been asking myself lately about C# now that .NET Core is available on Linux. It's an interesting enough question that I seriously pondering spending sometime learning C# to explore this. It also helps that my area is C# heavy while I'm Linux heavy, and converting C# apps to Linux is an intriguing business opportunity.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:57 pm

Waco wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, what school was this? It's rare to find CS programs within the Engineering schools. Clemson used to do this although I feel the focus is much more on the "trendy" languages these days without a whole lot of "what is the computer actually doing" type of thought. I find that anyone with a Computer Engineering degree tends to have the skill set I'm looking for, but any CS majors from schools that have curriculum like this are interesting.

Thanks for the anecdote!

http://eecs.ku.edu/ (The University of Kansas - ikr?)
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

FlamingSpaceJunk
Gerbil

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:06 pm

Waco wrote:
FlamingSpaceJunk wrote:
You have to understand the point isn't to teach you tools (C, C++, Python, etc.), but to teach you the concepts. Really, the language isn't important.

I would agree, except that many concepts aren't taught at all if you're using high-level languages. Sure, assembly isn't super useful, but the mindset that comes from learning it is. Memory management is foreign to most programmers - especially when it comes to actually optimizing code to be efficient.

While this is true, a for loop is a for loop, and the structure of an if else statement doesn't change that much.

The point was to not get wrapped up in the details, and just do it. Keep an eye on the goals by looking up the concepts in C, or whatever, but just do something. I've seen people get fixated on some minute little detail that can be filled in later and basically use it as an excuse to why they couldn't do something.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Knowing the low level stuff is enlightening, but that's super far down the road at this point. To use a painting analogy. whm1974 is at finger painting level right now. After years of intense study, whm1974 could possibly copy a Rembrandt, but that's going to take a while to get to there.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:23 pm

FlamingSpaceJunk wrote:
I'm not disagreeing with you. Knowing the low level stuff is enlightening, but that's super far down the road at this point. To use a painting analogy. whm1974 is at finger painting level right now. After years of intense study, whm1974 could possibly copy a Rembrandt, but that's going to take a while to get to there.

And really, nobody can know absolutely everything. That's why I got short earlier. It's frustrating to read stuff that's like a kid in a candy store. Ooh, VB.NET on Linux! C programming! Install a bunch of software! Just pick something and do it, and quit talking about wanting to do everything.

I think it'd be better to know one language really well and develop logic skills and analytical skills. Use a language for months on end but use those months to build other skills. That's why these community college programs focus on one language when doing OOP concepts. C++ or Java, or maybe both are available, but you'll do tons and tons in one language so that you get good at other stuff.

My 3rd semester Java class isn't so much Java programming as it is a class about thinking and logic and implementing stuff using tools you've already been doing for two semesters. I'm five weeks into this course now and I haven't learned a single new piece of the Java class library. I've used the things I learned in the first two courses to build interesting algorithmic things. Instead of being babied through the entire library, we're encouraged to Google what we don't know and instead solve interesting problems. Or "Interesting" problems that may not be all that interesting.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:18 am

FlamingSpaceJunk wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
I just installed Mono and Mono Basic in Manjaro.

.NET Core is available on Linux, so that can be used instead of Mono.

How well can I write cross platform applications with C# and Visual Basic for both Windows and Linux?

That's something I've been asking myself lately about C# now that .NET Core is available on Linux. It's an interesting enough question that I seriously pondering spending sometime learning C# to explore this. It also helps that my area is C# heavy while I'm Linux heavy, and converting C# apps to Linux is an intriguing business opportunity.

Thanks for mentioning that. I just installed .NET Core. My have things changed since when I first started. A lot of the stuff that used to cost hundreds if not thousands, we can now get for free.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:31 am

There's been a free version of Visual Studio for quite a few years.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:47 am

just brew it! wrote:

Until now, I didn't know this.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:05 am

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Until now, I didn't know this.

That'll happen when you reflexively skip anything Microsoft-related in the tech news. :wink:

Haven't looked at the recent versions, but when they originally rolled it out it was lacking certain features, since they still want commercial developers to shell out for the Pro/Enterprise versions; I assume they're still doing this. But it is more than adequate as a learning tool, or for small "one-off" projects.

MS has generally done a pretty good job over the years with their development tools.