Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

apkellogg
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

iPhone Pool Test scanner app?

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:02 pm

I have what I would consider a very basic level of computer programming knowledge, but willing and happy to learn more. I have an idea for an app that I would like to make for my phone, but want to see if 1)I'm biting off more than I can chew and 2)if this is something I can do, what are some good resources. The basic idea is to have an app on my phone that could analyze an image from the camera of a pool testing kit to look at the calibrated color chart and compare the color of the test sample to give a reasonably close idea of what the test value is. For reference, the test kit looks something like this. Thank you for any assistance!

edit: I guess I should mention that I work on a Windows machine and am familiar with Visual Studio.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: iPhone Pool Test scanner app?

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:29 pm

I would be a user of that. Being color-blind, I can't read those worth crap.
PS, the Clorox Pool app kinda does that already. It takes a picture for, reads the color, and logs the results so you can look over time. Just saying there might be some competition. I stopped using it...I think because I found the results to be inconclusive. It's been a little while, so my memory is hazy.

way2strong
Gerbil

Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:33 pm

I can't be much help, but you might want to look into OpenCV.

apkellogg
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:12 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I would be a user of that. Being color-blind, I can't read those worth crap.
PS, the Clorox Pool app kinda does that already. It takes a picture for, reads the color, and logs the results so you can look over time. Just saying there might be some competition. I stopped using it...I think because I found the results to be inconclusive. It's been a little while, so my memory is hazy.

If I ever get it to work, I'm happy to share it. Not looking to make anything off of it. More just a project to teach myself something new.