Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

3 python books - Add to your Kindle account for free

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:15 am

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: 3 python books - Add to your Kindle account for free

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:51 am

In spite of the 4/5 star overall rating, some of the customer reviews are REALLY bad:
There's a reason why this book is free on the Kindle. Wow, I'm not sure how this book received any high marks. The misspellings and the terrible structure of sentences. Maybe this guy should give up Python and just focus on learning how to write English. I would give negative stars to this if possible.

One of the previous reviewers mentioned the large number of errors in both the narrative and the code. I didn't even get to the Python code; since I found he was right about the narrative, I'll take his word for it regarding the code. Typos, etc. abound. Things as silly as "Monty Python's Fly Circus". "Fly"? Really? I'll give it two stars instead of one just because I haven't read much of it, and I suppose it COULD get better...

...and this one (indirectly) explains why it is free:
The writing is sometimes bad to the point that I can't tell what he meant to say. He talks about the difference between Python 2.x and 3.x very briefly and just moves on, but he never says which version his examples are in! I've found they are in Python 2.x, which would have been helpful to know, given that I'm trying to learn 3.x I end up having to google everything to see how it's actually done.

Python 2.x has been deprecated for new development for quite some time (years!), officially hits EOL in less than a month, and will no longer be supported/maintained. I suppose if you have been tasked with maintaining a bunch of legacy Python code that isn't being ported to 3.x and are trying to get up to speed on the language, the free e-books may have some value if you don't want to pay for a textbook.

https://pythonclock.org/
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.