Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

I think...

Programing sucks...Please shoot me!
7 (20%)
Programming doesn't suck
21 (60%)
I enjoy programming more than sex!
7 (20%)

Total votes: 35

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:44 pm

1. Electrical design engineer (senior)
2. I like working in a small business where I get to work directly with a product, and all of it's facets. I program C and assembly, design hardware, board layouts, write manuals and more. Pretty much work by myself most of the time, so I do all the bug hunting too.
3. The pay. I take a big hit for #2. I would also rather be outdoors, but it does pay well enough to afford land with a view. Working on the pay thing... hopefully I wont have to leave for "greener" pastures.

Still, I am glad I left landscape design, electronics has always been a hobby, and I got to work for the company I bought hobby kits from when I was a kid. Pretty cool doing your hobby for a job! It has lost it's charm over the years, but it is probably burn-out talking.

-LS

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:14 pm

okay check it out, im a multimedia major and computer science minor. I love progrmaming in c++ (thats all i've taken to sfar) but i dont know if im any good at it. Im not so sure it wasnt my fault more htan my profs teaching method, she wrote everything out, never touched a computer lab ONCE all semester.

As far as my major i LOVE it. Its primarily a heavy focus on we development, and i love to work with flash. My queston to you guys on here with some experience of where i am / headed, where do i go when i graduate? Who should i target for jobs? My biggest fear is not having one despite my 30k+/ a year college education. Im just enterting my second year at this college, but im afraid i wont have learned enough or done enough to be able to be good enough. I have a real knack and love for computers, it shows in my work too!

Flash mx is my baby :D

Some advice for a worried geek? thanks!

-Pete

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:18 pm

im sorry for posting again so soon, some more specifics about me and my future.... i REALLY love building computers, its something i see as both a challenge (to meet a customers needs) and a joy to see it work after i build it.

How much and what filed do i go into for something like this? Id like ot learn more about networking too! Help a geek!!!

If you could list all kinds of computer related fields and salaries, you can name my second child.