Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

computron9000
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Using Google maps locations to filter DB results?

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:17 pm

Ok, I have an interesting problem and can't come up with a good answer on how to even approach it.

I'll give a generic example.

Let's say someone had a database that rated fast food restaurants at a Corporate level. In our case, Burger King, McDonalds and Pizza hut.
So Overal rating, Menu, Avg. Price of Menu items.

Now, say someone builds a web site that is called Best Fast Food For You.com

They populate a database with Mcdonalds 4/5 BK 3.4/5, pizza hut 2.5/5 etc.

Someone at home goes to Fast Food For You.com and fills in their address and filters by a list of things like "Item Type:" "Price" "Allergies" etc to drill down to not only which Fast Food place is best for them, but then shows them the nearest one.

So Say I pick "Filter by: $10-$20 no beef" maybe I get "Best choice: PIzza hut, nearest location here: (Google map showing closest pizza hut to their address).

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any help.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Using Google maps locations to filter DB results?

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:52 pm

You can search google maps programnatically with the Google Map API. (Disclaimer: I haven't built any apps that do this so I don't know what kind of limitations you might run into).

computron9000
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Re: Using Google maps locations to filter DB results?

Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:19 am

I get that UG, thanks for the input.

my question is, is there a way to use Google maps to show location-relevant info, but filter the results down so it shows the nearest fast food reasturant(s) based on the rating system?

let's pretend there are 200 brands like McDonalds and 20,000 stores scattered around, and Google Maps has them all.

Can you filter out a local database with that info and then sort of cross-check it @ Google?