Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Re: Raspberry Pi 2 released

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:20 am

GokuSS2 wrote:
To me this is a disappointing upgrade. I was hoping for something close to this.
http://ameridroid.com/products/odroid-c1
Same Price.

True, but the size of the Raspberry Pi's community dwarfs that of the Odroid. That doesn't make the Odroid less attractive to me, but I still have a server in my house running Slackware... I like getting my fingers dirty.
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:35 am

just brew it! wrote:
I would be very interested to hear how LibreOffice performs on it. While technically compatible with the Model B (in the sense that you could install it, and it would load without complaining), IMO it was so slow it was really more of an initial proof-of-concept than a useful application.

So, good news and bad news. The good news is, LibreOffice is much, much faster and more responsive on the Pi 2 than the old B. It takes what I thought was a surprising amount of time to load (fifteen seconds, maybe), but once that's done it runs well, no lag on input or mouse clicks. I wrote a few lines, saved the file in a number of different formats and as PDF, and opened them again. No issues at all.

Bad news came when I thought to check how it would handle a much larger file. I saved "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" in HTML from gutenberg.org to the Pi, then loaded it with LibreOffice Writer.

It chugged for a few seconds, then displayed the HTML source and seemed to be all right. I could scroll down and still do all the normal things like edit, cut+paste etc. However, when I tried to jump to a point half-way through the file, it turned to molasses. It even bogged down the response of the entire system - I tried to switch away to the second desktop, back to Epiphany, and nothing happened. The CPU meter never went much beyond 50%, but the system wasn't doing anything. About ten seconds later, Writer started to render the file again (at the correct point I'd jumped to) at the same time as a box popped up saying something to the effect of, "LibreOffice Writer is not responding. Would you like to end the process?" I declined (as Writer had, in fact, finished the Herculean task of jumping through a large file) and checked to make sure the rest of the system was functioning normally, which thankfully it was.

So, LibreOffice on the Pi2 - absolutely fine for small documents, chokes on handling a novel-length file. That still makes it very useful to me (I can't remember the last time I had to open a novel-length document aside from this testing), but I can see that it might be problematic for others.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:16 am

Sounds like maybe it was hitting the swap file/partition. Speed of the memory card could be a factor too, if it was indeed swapping. Nice to hear that it is perfectly usable on "normal" length documents; I guess I am not surprised that trying to load an entire novel made it choke!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:24 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
I would be very interested to hear how LibreOffice performs on it. While technically compatible with the Model B (in the sense that you could install it, and it would load without complaining), IMO it was so slow it was really more of an initial proof-of-concept than a useful application.

So, good news and bad news. The good news is, LibreOffice is much, much faster and more responsive on the Pi 2 than the old B. It takes what I thought was a surprising amount of time to load (fifteen seconds, maybe), but once that's done it runs well, no lag on input or mouse clicks. I wrote a few lines, saved the file in a number of different formats and as PDF, and opened them again. No issues at all.

Bad news came when I thought to check how it would handle a much larger file. I saved "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" in HTML from gutenberg.org to the Pi, then loaded it with LibreOffice Writer.

It chugged for a few seconds, then displayed the HTML source and seemed to be all right. I could scroll down and still do all the normal things like edit, cut+paste etc. However, when I tried to jump to a point half-way through the file, it turned to molasses. It even bogged down the response of the entire system - I tried to switch away to the second desktop, back to Epiphany, and nothing happened. The CPU meter never went much beyond 50%, but the system wasn't doing anything. About ten seconds later, Writer started to render the file again (at the correct point I'd jumped to) at the same time as a box popped up saying something to the effect of, "LibreOffice Writer is not responding. Would you like to end the process?" I declined (as Writer had, in fact, finished the Herculean task of jumping through a large file) and checked to make sure the rest of the system was functioning normally, which thankfully it was.

So, LibreOffice on the Pi2 - absolutely fine for small documents, chokes on handling a novel-length file. That still makes it very useful to me (I can't remember the last time I had to open a novel-length document aside from this testing), but I can see that it might be problematic for others.

LibreOffice is likely not multicore optimized. 50% would be 2 cores maxed out.

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:35 am

Arvald wrote:

It depends on where he's getting the information. On Linux, each core is worth 100%, so a fully maxxed quad core would show 400% utilization.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:38 am

SuperSpy wrote:
Arvald wrote:

It depends on where he's getting the information. On Linux, each core is worth 100%, so a fully maxxed quad core would show 400% utilization.

Just going by the CPU monitor widget that sits in the taskbar by default. Was late last night, didn't think to pull up a proper system monitor. Can try again later.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:53 am

The CPU widget is 25% per core. "top" is 100% per core.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:51 am

Obviously i'm not taking pictures of my components on a regular basis but.... is no one else thinking it wise to wait out what the RPi guys are going to do about the Xenon flash sesitivity... I mean if it restarts from that what is to say other larger things might cause the same effect?

I recently confirmed a desktop restarting in an office only when having an air purifer turned on in room (seperate outlets through a UPS). So these things can happen to even larger boards.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:28 am

Welch wrote:
Obviously i'm not taking pictures of my components on a regular basis but.... is no one else thinking it wise to wait out what the RPi guys are going to do about the Xenon flash sesitivity... I mean if it restarts from that what is to say other larger things might cause the same effect?

I recently confirmed a desktop restarting in an office only when having an air purifer turned on in room (seperate outlets through a UPS). So these things can happen to even larger boards.

There's an important difference though. The RPi issue has been confirmed to be caused by photosensitivity, not EMI sensitivity like the desktop you've described. Protecting against photosensitivty is as simple as putting the RPi in a non-transparent case, or (if the board needs to be exposed in an environment where xenon strobes or laser pointers may be used in the vicinity) just cover the affected chip with something opaque.

Edit: Speaking of weird interactions between appliances and PCs, when I was in college my dial-up modem would glitch every time the compressor of the mini-fridge kicked in.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:10 am

Welch wrote:

The official blog post talks about this, and there's a forum thread with some very detailed experiments. It isn't the brightness of the light, it's the specific frequency. They can trigger the effect with a red laser pointer, and apparently a xenon flash is very bright around the same red wavelengths, but other light sources don't do it, even direct sunlight.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:30 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Welch wrote:

The official blog post talks about this, and there's a forum thread with some very detailed experiments. It isn't the brightness of the light, it's the specific frequency. They can trigger the effect with a red laser pointer, and apparently a xenon flash is very bright around the same red wavelengths, but other light sources don't do it, even direct sunlight.

Makes sense. IIRC silicon phototransistors are most sensitive to longer wavelength light, extending into the infrared. Stands to reason that unintentional phototransistors would behave similarly.

allreadydead
Gerbil

Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:49 pm

I ordered mine on friday, hopefully, monday or tuesday ill have it delivered. my first attempt will be making it a HTPC so i can put it on next to the TV and watch things in bigger screen.
[email protected] GHz, Noctua C14 to keep it cool, ASUS Z68-V PRO/GEN3, 2x4 GB DDR3-1600 G-SKILL RipjawsX, EVGA GTX970 SSC+, Seasonic X750W (no coil whine, yay), 1x256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 2xSamsung 1 TB RAID 0, 1x2 TB WD Green, NEC 7173-S, Enermax Chakra

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:47 pm

Where are you guys ordering them from? Seems like all of their partners are out of stock still. There are some on Amazon from 3rd parties marking them up alquite a bit that is the only place I see them.

Yeah, my first project is to make an HTPC out of it. The second i'd love to try is making a centralized home sensor PC to control things like thermostats, fans, lights, ect.. I'm sure that with the sensors running from the Pi's power that I'd be fairly limited on the number of sensors and type before it eats up too mich power for even the 2.5a adapters. Id like to blanket key areas of an entire home woth specific sensors to control temp, humidity, ect. Up here home energy efficiency is almost an everyday conversation during winter. I can only imagine the low power draw of a Pi with some sensors could probably save more heating fuel in a week than the Pi will use electricity all year.

This version almost seems like overkill for that type of project but I cant imagine it being fun on a single core Pi and the power difference bas to be negible at best.

Has anyone changed out the MicroUSB power plug for something a little more robust? Im not sure how reliable the little MicroUSB can be long term for something that designed to be one 24/7 an relied on.

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:52 pm

Welch wrote:
Where are you guys ordering them from? Seems like all of their partners are out of stock still. There are some on Amazon from 3rd parties marking them up alquite a bit that is the only place I see them.

I got mine from Newark.com. Placed the order at 5 AM on the 2nd, though, so I think I beat the United States rush on them.

Has anyone changed out the MicroUSB power plug for something a little more robust? Im not sure how reliable the little MicroUSB can be long term for something that designed to be one 24/7 an relied on.

From the Wikipedia entry: "The newer micro-USB receptacles are designed for up to 10,000 cycles of insertion and removal between the receptacle and plug, compared to 1,500 for the standard USB and 5,000 for the mini-USB receptacle."

So despite looking otherwise, the micro-versions are supposed to be the more durable options. Wouldn't have expected so, based on appearances.

SuperSpy

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:23 am

I just wish they hadn't moved the power plug to the side of the board to accommodate the extra USB ports. It makes putting them in tight places (like a security camera housing) kinda tough without patching together a custom right-angle plug.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:16 am

SuperSpy wrote:
I just wish they hadn't moved the power plug to the side of the board to accommodate the extra USB ports. It makes putting them in tight places (like a security camera housing) kinda tough without patching together a custom right-angle plug.

Maybe something like this would help?

SuperSpy

Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:31 pm

just brew it! wrote:
SuperSpy wrote:

Maybe something like this would help?

I ended up having to MacGuyver a micro USB male end from digikey into an even shorter version of the above.

The Egg

Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:19 pm

I managed to snag a Pi 2 at Microcenter today. Looked like they had about 15 left, so check your local store online.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:55 pm

Ordered one off Amazon about a week and a half ago. It arrived in the mail Thursday.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:39 am

They are out of stock but new stock is arriving weekly.
I was 2 weeks waiting from Element 14, but if you dug you could see their delivery schedule.

SuperSpy

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:36 pm

I got mine in from MCM Electronics Wednesday. They said it was back ordered, but my guess is they have more orders on hand than they get in a single shipment, so they were delivering, but never enough to actually end up with spare stock. I was going to put it in a dummy camera shell, and for months Home Depot has had a 2-pack of fairly large dummy cameras sitting on a kiosk. I go in last week to pick one up and of course they are gone. :cry:

Now I have to scour Amazon for one. :roll:

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:38 pm

SuperSpy wrote:

The Eleduino case is nice. but the all the dev ports are covered.
I use mine for OSMC or OpenELEC so I don't care.

SuperSpy

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:21 am

Arvald wrote:
SuperSpy wrote:

The Eleduino case is nice. but the all the dev ports are covered.
I use mine for OSMC or OpenELEC so I don't care.

I ended up getting one of these. A bit more expensive than I was hoping for (the Home Depot pack I had my eyes on was 2 for ~$15), but plenty roomy so I don't have to get exotic with the power cable like my last build. (WHY DID THEY PUT IT ON THE SIDE?!)

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:41 pm

Put in my order 2 days ago on Amazon. $64.95 included case (clear), 2000mAh power supply, 8gb Kingston with Noobs (out of date when it arrived im sure).

When I consider they wanted 9.99 for shipping from Element14, that brought them price to $45.... sort of defeats the benefit when I get free shipping on it and all items from Amazon.. Will arrive Feb 2nd or 3rd.

Cant wait to hook this sucker up... and almost more so for Windows 10 for it. Im curious about the space reqs for Windows 10 on it... betting on 32gb card being a must, 16 minimum.

The Egg

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:08 pm

Welch wrote:
Put in my order 2 days ago on Amazon. $64.95 included case (clear), 2000mAh power supply, 8gb Kingston with Noobs (out of date when it arrived im sure).

I spent roughly the same amount on a separate case, PSU, and mSD card. You probably got a better value, but I didn't want a clear case for underneath the TV.

Plus, ya know, with the paparazzi hitting me with their camera flashes all the time; didn't want to risk it.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:16 pm

Welch wrote:
Cant wait to hook this sucker up... and almost more so for Windows 10 for it. Im curious about the space reqs for Windows 10 on it... betting on 32gb card being a must, 16 minimum.

Windows 10 for the Pi is not the regular Windows with a GUI interface - it's the IoT version, designed for embedded devices. There's no regular point-and-click interface at all, but rather a target that is used to deploy an app, either graphical or headless. If you're going to want a normal computer desktop, Windows isn't going to be a viable option for the Pi.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:31 pm

Woot, RPi2 shipped from Amazon! Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Anyone by chance know if Windows 10 RCs for RPi2 are available or will be made perhaps?

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:43 pm

Welch wrote:

Anyone by chance know if Windows 10 RCs for RPi2 are available or will be made perhaps?

Unless it's happened within the past 24 hours, no, they're not. I think the release for the Pi is supposed to happen in May.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:26 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Welch wrote:

Unless it's happened within the past 24 hours, no, they're not. I think the release for the Pi is supposed to happen in May.

So before the supposed June release for x86?

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:35 am

Well I've had my Pi 2 for a couple of days now and actually making this post from it via Raspbian. I've had a bit of fun figuring out how to get things like HDMI audio to work and now I'm having trouble getting it to switch over to analog audio. It seems like a lot of simple functions are left to terrible long work arounds. I'm thinking one of the first little projects that I may seek out (if someone hasn't already) is making a simple GUI item that sits in the panel and allows a user to switch between multiple audio sources. Something that automates the process instead of using terminal (think audio device manager from windows).

Any know if perhaps I'm making this a lot more difficult than it needs to be? I'd like to think that the Pi 2 running Raspbian would simply output to HDMI when there and then change over to Analog (override the HDMI audio out) for when headphones or speakers are plugged into the analog port. Don't know why this seems like a simple concept to me but my searches didn't find anything to suggest this is normal behaviour.

Ohhh I can test ALSA to Analog and it will play, but nothing else like Decibel audio player or videos from youtube will play to the Analog. I fought with it for a little bit to get it to finally accept HDMI audio which I had running fairly well.