Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Raspberry Pi 2 released

Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:48 am

Haven't had time to play with mine yet, but the rough edges you're reporting don't really surprise me. The OS is a volunteer effort, and doesn't have the level of polish you'd expect from a consumer product. It is aimed at the educational market, tinkerers, and people who want to use it as the basis for an embedded product, so much is left as "an exercise for the reader".
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:02 am

just brew it! wrote:
Haven't had time to play with mine yet, but the rough edges you're reporting don't really surprise me. The OS is a volunteer effort, and doesn't have the level of polish you'd expect from a consumer product. It is aimed at the educational market, tinkerers, and people who want to use it as the basis for an embedded product, so much is left as "an exercise for the reader".

Yep, I think most of us knew what we were getting into with the RPi right :lol:. Either way it runs decent and I'm curious to see 1080p video on it as there were reports from people talking about their Model B+ running 1080p flawlessly so I'm a bit surprised to see the RPi 2 struggling with 360p when the window is maxed out (at least for Youtube). I installed Iceweasel and ran apt-get to install flash plugin which seemed to help a bit. Still its a far cry from 1080p running flawlessly, perhaps this only applies to certain local content ran from specific codecs???

Hmmm, would be nice to have a RPi specific forum/thread for TR to pass around ideas and help one another through this process.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:39 pm

Welch wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Yep, I think most of us knew what we were getting into with the RPi right :lol:. Either way it runs decent and I'm curious to see 1080p video on it as there were reports from people talking about their Model B+ running 1080p flawlessly so I'm a bit surprised to see the RPi 2 struggling with 360p when the window is maxed out (at least for Youtube). I installed Iceweasel and ran apt-get to install flash plugin which seemed to help a bit. Still its a far cry from 1080p running flawlessly, perhaps this only applies to certain local content ran from specific codecs???

Hmmm, would be nice to have a RPi specific forum/thread for TR to pass around ideas and help one another through this process.

There's no working Flash on the Pi at all - I'm not sure what that plugin might be doing for you, but it can't actually play Flash video on the Internet. Adobe won't support Flash on Linux at all any more, and Google's Pepper Flash implementation is only for Chrome (no Pi version).

1080p Youtube video via HTML5 works fine on the Pi (pretty much any variant), but only if the browser has the necessary support for the Pi's hardware. Right now, as far as I know, that's only the included default browser, Epiphany. Maybe someone has also added support to Iceweasel through a plugin, but I'm not aware of it.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:47 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Welch wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

There's no working Flash on the Pi at all - I'm not sure what that plugin might be doing for you, but it can't actually play Flash video on the Internet. Adobe won't support Flash on Linux at all any more, and Google's Pepper Flash implementation is only for Chrome (no Pi version).

1080p Youtube video via HTML5 works fine on the Pi (pretty much any variant), but only if the browser has the necessary support for the Pi's hardware. Right now, as far as I know, that's only the included default browser, Epiphany. Maybe someone has also added support to Iceweasel through a plugin, but I'm not aware of it.

Good to know, I noticed Epiphany runs it smoother than IceWeasel to the point where I'm not using the FF variant until things get smoothed out in it. I'm extremely excited about jumping back into Linux as I haven't messed with it (for real) since Ubuntu was 7.0.4 (Fiesty Fawn)! With SteamOS being around now and other nix distro's popping up a bit more main stream it seems like having linux knowledge is going to be more useful than ever.

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:07 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:

I'm assuming he actually installed gnash.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:30 am

just brew it! wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:

I'm assuming he actually installed gnash.

+1, yes... that. I forgot I couldnt get a working flash. Gnash is what I believe was installed. Ill have to look throgh my bookmarks and notes again, all very new to me.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:35 am

Welch wrote:
Well I've had my Pi 2 for a couple of days now and actually making this post from it via Raspbian. I've had a bit of fun figuring out how to get things like HDMI audio to work and now I'm having trouble getting it to switch over to analog audio. It seems like a lot of simple functions are left to terrible long work arounds. I'm thinking one of the first little projects that I may seek out (if someone hasn't already) is making a simple GUI item that sits in the panel and allows a user to switch between multiple audio sources. Something that automates the process instead of using terminal (think audio device manager from windows).

Does Raspbian have pulseaudio?

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:43 am

Glorious wrote:
Does Raspbian have pulseaudio?

It's not installed by default, but it's in the repositories.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:16 am

Well, I've used pulseaudio do things like what Welch wants to with his Pi, albeit not with a Pi.

I've only ever used it from the command-line, but there are GUI things out there that should do what he wants: pavucontrol

I wrote a script to do switching like that with my laptop, but I don't have access to it at work. If he's curious I can look it up later.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:18 pm

Good to know Glorious :).

Yeah no Pulseaudio installed by default. In fact I installed it temporarily from the repository along with MPlayer which didn't run to well, getting a lot of popping and cracking playing an MP3. The same files worked flawlessly on Decibel though.