Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Hsldn
Gerbil
Topic Author

Rasperry Pi2 or HP tablet.

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:35 pm

This two is not intended to compete with each other ,but HP tablet is (8' , 1gb) $79 on amazon and comes with office 365 subscription . So these two almost cost the same to me.

I will use it as a printer server, maybe to download big files, media server . Does HP tablet makes sense for this? or would rasperry pi2 a better option?

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Rasperry Pi2 or HP tablet.

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:15 pm

Trying to hack a tablet into a print/media server isn't gonna work well. They're not great for playing download zombie either as the file system is heavily obfuscated in all major mobile OSes. Do keep in mind that a Pi2 will cost about $75 when you throw in the cables, housing, etc. and even with the performance gain over the last Pi it's going to be too resource-limited for general purpose use.

If you need a functional desktop environment, consider a NUC or ECS Liva PC (think x86 Chromebox) instead.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:46 pm

If you just want it to be a print/media server why not just get a new router? Those capabilities are pretty standard affair on even lower end routers now days.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:58 pm

It's hard to use the HP as anything very useful for hardware because it lacks a full USB port. Do you live near a MicroCenter? Can you get the TW700 instead? http://www.microcenter.com/product/4397 ... et_-_Black

The TW700 has a full USB 2.0 port so you can have it as a print server thing. Only major caveat is you'd have to use VNC or similar to remote in, since it's not Windows 8.1 Pro (for remote desktop). Or venture into installing Linux on it.

I just got the Pi 2, and as people say it's not really a fully usable thing until you dump another $30-40 into it. It is very snappy compared to the first Pi though!

phaxmohdem
Gerbil In Training

Mon May 11, 2015 8:24 pm

How about this instead? http://www.microcenter.com/product/4374 ... et_-_Black

I have the 7 inch version, and it is fantastic for the price. The full USB port and Mini-HDMI is awesome too because you can hook up a keyboard, mouse and monitor and basically have a RPi demolishing hobby computer (Quad core Bay Trail) that can double as a tablet when you want to be mobile.

Downsides, it doesn't have the GPIO pins or other hacker friendly doodads like the RPi if that's your thing.

:P just realized this thread was from February... derp.