Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mintbox Mini

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:17 am

I've been eyeballing that box for a while now, and with the 64GB built in mSATA, that could possibly make a sweet little mame box, or something for Dosbox, ScummVM,KegaFusion, ZSNES, Higan, and PCSX. The only problem I'm seeing is the dearth of 8GB DDDR3 SO-DIMMs, since there's only a single RAM slot. Most vendors (as of today) were seeliing 4GBx2 kits, which won't help, since there's only one slot. I wonder if the X-arcade tank stick would work with it.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Mintbox Mini

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:24 am

Newegg has 8GB SO-DIMMs:

http://www.newegg.com/Laptop-Memory/SubCategory/ID-381

THe price of the Mintbox Mini isn't bad. just remember that mini PCs have trade offs.

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:06 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Newegg has 8GB SO-DIMMs:

http://www.newegg.com/Laptop-Memory/SubCategory/ID-381

THe price of the Mintbox Mini isn't bad. just remember that mini PCs have trade offs.

Originally, I was thinking about using it as a standalone GNS3 device (need 8GB SO-DiMM so i can run larger Qemu apppliances, like ASA, vEOS, EXOS, et all, but them noticed the fitlet-x (which isn't or sale Amazon) since it supports 4 GigE ports, and a faster quad core CPU (would need to by a decent sized mSATA, though) would make a better GNS3 or OpenvSwitch device, so I started wondering about using the Mintbox Mini as a retro gaming system With a wireless mouse and keyboard could be fun for dosbox and Scummvm games, a couple of gamepads for NES/SNES/Genesis/Sega CD/32x/or TG-16 for console emulation, or even a X-arcade tank stick for MAME gaming.

Still sound like a decent idea?

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:50 am

300 bucks for an APU...bleh, I'd pass unless you really like the style and/or want to support the vendor. For what you describe, you could probably get away with a Bay Trail or at least a Stream Mini, the latter of which comes fully loaded with an open SO-DIMM slot for $180. I'm sure the Mintbox is capable of doing what you want, though.