Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

The Pyra open handheld computer. Sound neat.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:57 am

OK I've looking at the Pyra off and on since I first heard about it:
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/
However since it starts at 500 Euros, I'm not sure I would a have real enough use to justify buying one when it finally comes out. I would also most likely prefer the Manjaro ARM port installed instead of Debian as well.

Anyone else curious about this handheld?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: The Pyra open handheld computer. Sound neat.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:35 am

That reminds me, where did I leave my 7" EeePC?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:49 am

1) I doubt the gaming controls will be usable given the position and how large it is.
2) I doubt PowerVR video drivers will ever be released to the general public, so it's possible one of these could be stuck on whatever OS they ship on it.
3) I can't find anything that confirms definitively what US carriers will be supported. From what I can find, AT&T should work the best, and Sprint is a no-go, Verizon only has full functionality on LTE, and T-Mobile is similar to Verizon.
4) That battery is massive. My EeePC only had a 2700 mAH battery
5) The lack of video out is disappointing.
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:12 am

Yeah I'm not a fan of PowerVR either. But are there any "open" iGPUs designs around? Seriously, if I was rich enough I would actually hire a team to design a Free and Open Source iGPU/dGPU for the FOSS folks to use. Maybe to be used with RISC V CPU designs? Come to think of it, have the team design a RISC V based SoC. But alas I'm not a rich dude. :(

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:31 am

I would be more tempted by the GPD Win: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd- ... -console#/

Intel Atom SoC, similar size and form factor (5.5" clamshell with keyboard and game controls). It ships running Windows, but I suspect you could put Linux on it if you wanted to. So you get access to all the x86/AMD64 Linux distros and packages out there.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:48 am

NTMBK wrote:
I would be more tempted by the GPD Win: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd- ... -console#/

Intel Atom SoC, similar size and form factor (5.5" clamshell with keyboard and game controls). It ships running Windows, but I suspect you could put Linux on it if you wanted to. So you get access to all the x86/AMD64 Linux distros and packages out there.

This is even better.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:58 am

Shame the GDP Win doesn't have a couple of SDXC slots, but at least it does have a MicroSD one.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:44 am

whm1974 wrote:
Yeah I'm not a fan of PowerVR either. But are there any "open" iGPUs designs around? Seriously, if I was rich enough I would actually hire a team to design a Free and Open Source iGPU/dGPU for the FOSS folks to use. Maybe to be used with RISC V CPU designs? Come to think of it, have the team design a RISC V based SoC. But alas I'm not a rich dude. :(

While the GPUs themselves are still closed, Intel (at least for their in-house GPU designs... the PowerVR ones excluded, obviously) and AMD (more recently) have been pretty good about supporting Open Source driver development.

Edit: Regarding the Pyra... it looks like a sub-optimal compromise on all fronts. Not as portable as a smartphone, keyboard and screen too cramped to be a decent replacement for a laptop, game controls awkwardly placed, and expensive given its capabilities. It's effectively an awkward, expensive mash-up of a Raspberry Pi, tiny keyboard and game controller, and small LCD display.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:04 am

just brew it! wrote:
Edit: Regarding the Pyra... it looks like a sub-optimal compromise on all fronts. Not as portable as a smartphone, keyboard and screen too cramped to be a decent replacement for a laptop, game controls awkwardly placed, and expensive given its capabilities. It's effectively an awkward, expensive mash-up of a Raspberry Pi, tiny keyboard and game controller, and small LCD display.

Yeah the GPD Win looks like a better deal. Maybe I'll pre-order one for $330. If I do, maybe I'll write a Mini review for the forums and provide instructions on how to install Linux on it once I figure it out.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:24 am

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Yeah the GPD Win looks like a better deal. Maybe I'll pre-order one for $330. If I do, maybe I'll write a Mini review for the forums and provide instructions on how to install Linux on it once I figure it out.

At least that one has a non-PowerVR GPU (I think). So you shouldn't be tied to a binary GPU driver.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:30 am

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

At least that one has a non-PowerVR GPU (I think). So you shouldn't be tied to a binary GPU driver.

It has a Intel Cherry Trail 78700 CPU, so yeah it has a FOSS driver for the iGPU. I wonder how is the performance of this CPU is? I check my Steam library and I have a few games that should run with playable framerates, at least at 720p anyway.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:21 am

Sorry it's a Cherry Trail 8700 CPU. My bad. Anyway the more I read about this, the more I want one.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:47 am

Did some more looking around, but according to this the GPD Win can boot Linux:
http://gpdclub.longluntan.com/t23-linux-on-the-gpd-win

Don't know if I want to take the risk or not.

d@mn'd
Gerbil

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:09 am

Reminds me of my old intermec 6651 (http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/reviews/intermec6651.htm). But that damn Windows CE OS was no fun at all.

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:12 am

That's an amazing little box, I wonder if they will come out with an 8GB RAM version. I'd pick it up in a heartbeat if so.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:20 am

SuperSpy wrote:
That's an amazing little box, I wonder if they will come out with an 8GB RAM version. I'd pick it up in a heartbeat if so.

Yeah I would want 8GB of RAM myself, along with a 128GB eMMC as well.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:36 am

whm1974 wrote:

Well, GPD have put out several devices in the past, including the GPD XD- a very similar Android device with a Rockchip ARM SoC, and no keyboard. I think they're pretty trustworthy.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:23 pm

NTMBK wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Well, GPD have put out several devices in the past, including the GPD XD- a very similar Android device with a Rockchip ARM SoC, and no keyboard. I think they're pretty trustworthy.

I meant that what if I can't install Linux to it due to funny business about the hardware and/or firmware. I really hate to be stuck with Win10.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:11 pm

Just checked my money, and drat it would not be wise for to buy this right now. Oh well maybe next year. Perhaps I'll wait for the "upgraded" model. At least I get to read the reviews before I buy.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:43 pm

I feel like whm has started more threads than i have posts. You cray mang. :lol:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:50 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I feel like whm has started more threads than i have posts. You cray mang. :lol:

I really doubt that I have started over 3000 threads.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:28 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

No, probably not. It just feels like it.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:50 am

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

No, probably not. It just feels like it.

Oh really???

I guess if I want the GPD Win bad enough, I'll cut way back on soda and quit eating out. I guess I have to prepare myself for some major headaches. :(

EndlessWaves
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:11 am

DrDominodog51 wrote:
4) That battery is massive. My EeePC only had a 2700 mAH battery

The original EeePC shipped with a 4.4Ah or 5.2Ah battery depending on location and IIRC operated at 8.4v so it had a 37-44Wh capacity.

The Pyra's marketing department has conveniently left out voltage so we can only guess at the battery capacity but a lot of phones and tablets connect all their cells in parallel resulting in a voltage of 4.2v. If that's the case here then the capacity is 25Wh.

Of course, power consumption will be a lot lower so you should get most of a day out of this instead of the 3 hours the eeePCs lasted.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:51 am

Is it the portable, gadget-like functionality that you like, or is it that you want a functional portable Linux system that can handle emulators/retro gaming? If it's the former, maybe a project build based around a Raspberry Pi, like a PiGRRL*? That gets you excellent hardware and software support in addition to good emulator performance, and it's still a proper Debian Linux system inside the case and can be used as such in a pinch.

If it's the latter, you're much better off just buying a used laptop and installing any Linux distribution you want, along with emulators and games.

Either way, you're getting more functionality for a fraction of the price**.

* Note that the "Add to Cart" parts list on the right side of that screen includes a 3D printer, which is a little absurd given you could just have something printed at better quality from Shapeways or a similar service, or by a local tool/CAD shop that will charge you a reasonable rate. Your public library might even have printers for use, it's becoming more common. AdaFruit is a good vendor if you do want to buy parts/materials from them, though, and their how-tos are excellent.

** Case in point - in May I picked up a Thinkpad T430 at an electronics flea market. From all appearances (literally no wear on the keys/trackpad, hardware visibly pristine) it had never even been used, just sat on a shelf for three years. Ivy Bridge Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 GB Nvidia graphics, 500 GB hard drive, $275. Still under warranty, even (checked on Lenovo's site before purchasing). Yes, it's three-year old hardware, but the performance is excellent, even better after I added an mSATA SSD. Not quite as portable as a handheld, but leagues better as a usable machine.

whm1974 wrote:
I guess if I want the GPD Win bad enough, I'll cut way back on soda and quit eating out. I guess I have to prepare myself for some major headaches. :(

Off-topic, but since you bring it up: if you get headaches when you don't consume caffeine, yeah, it's time to cut it out of your diet. I need to do the same every ten years or so - no caffeine for a solid month, to let my body adjust back to normal. It sucks for a few weeks, headaches and grumpiness, but then I start to feel better. And the pluses are that I can start consuming caffeine again after I've gone through the process, and it takes far less to get the same perk as before I went dry.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:03 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Is it the portable, gadget-like functionality that you like, or is it that you want a functional portable Linux system that can handle emulators/retro gaming? If it's the former, maybe a project build based around a Raspberry Pi, like a PiGRRL*? That gets you excellent hardware and software support in addition to good emulator performance, and it's still a proper Debian Linux system inside the case and can be used as such in a pinch.

If it's the latter, you're much better off just buying a used laptop and installing any Linux distribution you want, along with emulators and games.

Either way, you're getting more functionality for a fraction of the price**.

It's both. And yes I've been looking at getting a used notebook for the second purpose.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:37 am

Meh, looks like a PDA and manages to cost even more. Those died out for a reason.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:47 pm

NovusBogus wrote:
Meh, looks like a PDA and manages to cost even more. Those died out for a reason.

I think it's a bit more capable then a PDA, but I know what you are saying. If I do buy this I will be checking some of my lower end games to say if they will play on this, and/or be buying more games from GOG.com.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:04 pm

The GPD Win Facebook's page shows the unit playing some games such as Left4Dead and Diablo3at decent speeds. I guess at 720p you don't need much:
https://www.facebook.com/4GPDWin/