Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Something old, something new

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:35 pm

In the past, people have commented that my workstation at home still has a multi-io PCIe add in card providing a parallel port and a pair of serial ports. I tinker in various types of embedded systems and having access to serial ports is a must. They can generally be provide by USB to serial converters, but usb to parallel converters generally don't work that well for things that use a parallel port connection. Case in point being my trust old EMP-10 EPROM programmer. However, it doesn't work too well with the PCIe add in card.

Soooo....

Thats a Lenovo Thinkcentre M32 SFF system. It's got a 1.1GHz Celeron, 4GB of Memory, 8GB SSD, four serial ports, and one parallel port. The EMP-10 is sitting on top of it. I noted that my EMP-10 doesn't get along too well with the PCIe parallel port in my workstation. The software that drives it is DOS software from days past. VirtualBox does do parallel port pass through, and I was able to get the software to kind of work in a VM, but it was slow and flakey. If I boot my workstation to FreeDOS, I wasn't able to get the programmer software to recognize the add in card, despite the fact that I was able to find, and load a DOS driver for it.

Soooo....

I had to use a USB flash drive for the FreeDOS install media. It would boot from a CD image in a USB DVD drive, but it couldn't find the installation media once it got that for along. Installed without problem from a flash drive.

The EMP-10 software had no problems finding and driving the programmer. A USB flash drive, plugged into the Thinkcentre at boot time, shows up as a hard drive in FreeDOS so I had put whatever images I need to program on a flash drive, and boot the system up. It's not the quickest cycle time if I need to add or change and image file, but it works.

It was significantly cheaper to buy the Thinkcentre than to by a new, equally capable, and equally quality programmer.

-SS

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Something old, something new

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:42 am

I hate bad backwards compatibility. :)

What sort of EPROMs do you need to program?

One thing that's surprisingly difficult to find is floppy controllers. Know of any cheap USB/PCIe/PCI ways to hook up classic 34-pin 5.25" floppy drives?

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:04 am

meerkt wrote:
I hate bad backwards compatibility. :)

What sort of EPROMs do you need to program?

One thing that's surprisingly difficult to find is floppy controllers. Know of any cheap USB/PCIe/PCI ways to hook up classic 34-pin 5.25" floppy drives?

The ones that are most problematic are 2532A's. They are a fairly uncommon chip and the list of programmers that properly supports them is short and expensive.

As far as 5.25" floppy's, this is the best I know of: http://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php?prod=SCP. It doesn't quite fit the definition of cheap though.

--SS

The Egg

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:53 am

meerkt wrote:

I didn't find anything better than what SS found, but while searching I did find something interesting:

Floppy Drive Emulator
Apparently you can format a flash drive into hundreds of segments, load them up with floppy images, and then use the buttons to cycle through them, rather than chug through dozens of physical floppies. Could certainly make working on an old PC much less painful.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:58 pm