Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

CthuluCall
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Want to build and Overclock Shuttle SN45G

Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:58 pm

I am in the process of planning to build an SN45G. It has been awhile since I have built my current machine which is a Athlon 1.2, GF4 4400 system, so I'm not really up to date on the latest info. I am planning on moving my GF4 4400 and current Maxtor 80g HD over and will upgrade my Video card later when the next gen of Nvidias come out. I am also interested in Overclocking to get the best bang for the buck. I don't want to spend a huge amount on the CPU/Memory if possible.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to the best bargain for CPU/Memory for the SN45G, and it's overclocking capabilities?

Thanks in Advance,
CC

ZooTech
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:07 pm

Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant
like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Want to build and Overclock Shuttle SN45G

Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:42 pm

CthuluCall wrote:
I am planning on moving my GF4 4400 and current Maxtor 80g HD over and will upgrade my Video card later when the next gen of Nvidias come out.

You may want to be careful with that plan. If I interpret it correctly, you mean that you plan to buy the latest and greatest nVidia offering once it is made available. Either that or you are anticipating a price drop in current cards once the next line arrives.

The first is not necessarily a good idea, as it has not been determined if the NV40 series will be both PCI-Express and AGP [although this is likely] or just PCI -Express. You will be SOL if it's the latter.

The second is a good idea, as lower price for a good part is a good thing.

The shuttles have overclocking options, but aren't too friendly in that department, as the extremely small space hinders airflow.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

CthuluCall
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:45 am

mac_h8r1, thanks for the info. You are corrrect in that I was planning to drop in a NV40 card in the future. I was not aware of the possibility that it might not be AGP compatible. I may hold off on building the shuttle system until I know more.

I want to build the Shuttle primarily so that I can hook it up to my Living room HDTV, and I like that it's small enough to easily move it back and forth from my Office and also that it would be small enough to fit into my Home theater cabinet. Currently I move my full size PC back and forth, but it's a little cumbersome as my office is upstairs from my living room, and in my living room I have to put it on the floor next to my cabinet in the open, which bothers my significant other for some reason.

I'm thinking about maybe buying an Xbox to hook up to my HDTV to fulfill the need to play games in my living room as a stopgap measure, but It seems that the Xbox games are by and large only 480p, (maybe 1 in 20 support 720p) which would take some getting used to. I have been playing games on a PC for a long time and am accustomed higher resolutions.

damien
Gerbil

Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:02 am

You can OC the SN45G quite well actually. Well, unless you have a 'superlocked' cpu...

But I ramped my 2500 to a 3200 with no sweat. Temps were perfectly acceptable too.

Noise is a bit much for my tastes, but for those with big towers, 12 fans, and a pilot's license for their PC will think it's quiet compared to what they are used to.