Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

How big is the NUC power adapter?

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:30 pm

I'm going to need to conceal them for wall mounts in dental exam rooms, I'm thinking in junction boxes with the absurd raceway system we're going to need to use to route HDMI cables half way around the planet. Can someone who has a NUC take a fairly precise measurement of the AC adapter for me? I can figure how much clearance I need for the three prong plug from other adapters, but if the cable coming out on the NUC side is exceptionally rigid or something, that would be good to know.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: How big is the NUC power adapter?

Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:07 am

It's very hard to even buy a NUC as reviewed. Most places here are just selling the boards, which require a generic 19V DC, 65w PSU.

If you look at the Anand video you can see the PSU; it's pretty small but you could probably just order a standard Delta or HiPro unit to fit your size requirements if they're very specific.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

roguecomgeek
Gerbil In Training

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:11 pm

The Nuc power supply is 4" 3/4 by 1" 7/8 wide and 1" 1/4 tall.
the power connector is pretty stiff on the top. but you get some flexing below the plastic part. The connector from top to bottom is 1" 1/4
Geek

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Excellent, thank you. Luckily our supplier still has them because alternatives are quite a bit more expensive. But now I'm wondering if by no power cord they mean no cord, or no AC adapter.

roguecomgeek
Gerbil In Training

Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:12 am

You have to buy the cord that connects the power supply to the wall socket. I bought this for my Nuc http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812196313
I find it kinda wierd when you open the box it makes the intel logo sound but doesn't include a power cord to the wall.
Geek

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:06 am

roguecomgeek wrote:
I find it kinda wierd when you open the box it makes the intel logo sound but doesn't include a power cord to the wall.

One product for all markets. Means they can ship it globally with a 100-250V AC adapter and not have to worry about regional variants for different plug types in the box.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:05 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
roguecomgeek wrote:

One product for all markets. Means they can ship it globally with a 100-250V AC adapter and not have to worry about regional variants for different plug types in the box.

It's a weak, very-customer-unfriendly excuse. I thought Intel would've learned by now. With Intel's supply chain, how hard would it be to customize the boxes with the right cord for each region?

Sounds like laziness to me, and most certainly hurt their sales. I had to spend time finding a friggin' cable, and I consider myself a somewhat capable PC consumer..

Machupo
Gerbil In Training

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:05 pm

This is a pretty old thread, but FWIW, the new Haswell NUCs come with power cords for the US market (or at least, my D54250WYK did).

mako
Gerbil First Class

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:14 pm

I'll chime in to say that the DN2820FYKH kit comes with no less than 4 different plugs (it's the kind where it slide-clicks onto the adapter body).
E3-1230v2 | GA-6UASL3 | 16 GB ECC | Seagate 600 240GB | HGST 4TB | GTX 660 | Silverstone TJ08-E | Seasonic X650 | Win Server 2012 | Dell U2713HM || Zotac CI320