Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

ShadowEyez
Gerbil XP

Re: So what are you using for computer audio?

Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:47 pm

My motherboards built in autdio, a Realtek ALC892 in my case.

It's been said before: unless you're doing music or audio content creation and you're just doing playback, the motherboard's audio is usually good enough. The speakers are what makes a big difference.
The finest tools are forged from the hottest fires

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:25 am

Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones powered by a Van Alstine Ultra II Hybrid Tube Preamp that's a "hand me down" from my family room stereo. Source is currently a Dragonfly USB DAC.

For gaming I use an old set of Logitech G51 5.1 desktop speakers sourced with a Creative X-Fi Fatality Titanium sound card. The sound card is worlds better than any onboard audio I've ever heard.

ForceEdge
Gerbil

Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:16 am

headphones: self built grado-like cans with turbulent x drivers and rosewood cups, L-cush with tape mod. These sound great even without a good amp, great detail and imaging.
JBL LSR305 x2 :D hooboy these might be the best speakers you can buy for the price! got the pair for just 200$! I'm a reference buff so these might not sound as good for you if you like warm signatures hehe
both driven using an Audioengine D1, yes yes i know the output impedance is rather weak, but it was the best bang for buck DAC i could get at the time, and it sounds just fine!
[email protected]@1.3V,Corsair 32 GB DDR3 1600C10,ASUS GeForce GTX 660,Intel SSD 750 400GB,Crucial BX100 256GB,MX100 512GB,Samsung 830 256 GB,HGST 3TB,4TBx2,Seagate 3TB,Z87HERO,AX760,H80i,Dell U2713HM,Corsair K70R,Logitech G502,JBL LSR305s,Audioengine D1

npore
Gerbil

Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:24 am

ForceEdge wrote:
JBL LSR305 x2 :D hooboy these might be the best speakers you can buy for the price! got the pair for just 200$!

I was planning to get these, but in NZ they were horribly priced relative to competition. Like in the $400USD category, double E4.5s, where I think in the US/UK they're much closer.. Cheaper to import but wasn't worth it.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:22 am

My modest setup:

Headphones: Titanium HD (analog) -> Beyedynamic DT 880 250Ω (Sometimes I plug them into the Yamaha b/c I enjoy the virtual surround in movies)
Speakers: Titanium HD (optical) -> Yamaha Receiver (RX-377) -> Old (but fun) pair of JBL MX-1000 with more than enough rumble for a tiny one room apartment.

Since the Amp uses the same Burr Browns as my soundcard, I see no reason not to use the optical connection in order to transmit 5.1 DTS.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:27 am

Headphones: HD600
Amp: Magni 2 Uber
DAC: Modi 2 Uber

I've also got a pair of Logitech speakers for when I don't want to wear headphones.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:44 am

whm1974 wrote:
I know that you get what you pay for when to comes to sound, but at what point would we be just throwing money away?

Definitely!

It highly depends on what you hear and how you hear.
Does it make sense to buy a 1000$ Headphone like the T1 of you are hearing impaired? -> Nope.

Does it make sense to spend additional money on "Ermagawd 96/24" recordings? -> Hell no. 44.1/16 are already an overkill format in regards to human hearing. Assuming it is the same mastering as the "hi def" (lol) you won't be able to hear any difference, except for distortion of your system when it tries to create ultra sonic signals (you can't hear anyway).

With all things audio, the best advice I can give is: try before you buy with your OWN music you know well, not some reference sample.

Oh and do attack the weakest link first: get rid of crappy youtube rips and 128kbps MP3s and replace them with at lest 320kbps or better yet FLAC (in case you need to re-encode it for mobile use).

Also pay attention to **** masters (looking at you Dark Knight Rises soundtrack!).
Garbage in -> garbage out. Even on the most uber audiophile systems.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:35 am

I.S.T. wrote:
I'm actually using an ASUS with the back ports rather than front panel.

Well that sucks... I guess even ASUS still has a dud onboard implementation now and then (though I haven't encountered one lately). :-?

Some potential avenues of investigation (albeit long shots): Have you ruled out EMI being picked up by the external cabling? Does it happen with both headphones and speakers? Where is your OS's volume slider typically set (high-gain external speakers or efficient headphones + very low volume setting in the OS can exacerbate noise issues by degrading your S/N even more)?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

MEATLOAF2
Gerbil

Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:58 am

For headphones I'm using Sennheiser HD558s, and a Xonar DGX sound card.

The amp is good enough and everything sounds great to me, so no need to spend more on high end gear if I don't know what I'm missing. :)

SuperSpy

Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:32 am

I still have my 15+ year old creative 5.1 system, but I haven't run it in probably a year. I don't even think it's hooked up anymore.

Day-to-day I use a Corsair "7.1" wireless headset. After going wireless I can't go back (no more rolled over cords!)
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:36 am

MEATLOAF2 wrote:
The amp is good enough and everything sounds great to me, so no need to spend more on high end gear if I don't know what I'm missing. :)

I just want to emphasize this. It's not even "don't know what I'm missing," but dudes, if you like the way your stuff sounds there is no reason to spend hundreds or thousands on high-end gear that honestly might not sound the way you like it. Test stuff out, find what you like, and be happy!
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:48 am

There are some pretty high-end setups here.

For a community that I didn't consider very audiophile, I actually think many of you have nicer setups than me.

My BX8 reference monitors were a good investment for me, and I'm so happy with my two-decade-old HD580's that I have never found a pair of headphones, no matter the cost, that I would consider as "superior".

Have any of you reached a point that's "good enough" or do those of you with fancy setups always hanker for more - limited only by the outragous costs and diminishing returns?
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:23 am

Have any of you reached a point that's "good enough"

I think I have with the Flips Audio headphones that I'm using in speaker mode. And they work great with my motherboard's on board audio.

superjawes

Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:40 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Have any of you reached a point that's "good enough" or do those of you with fancy setups always hanker for more - limited only by the outragous costs and diminishing returns?

Kind of...I got a chance to listen to an HD800 and Audeze LCD-3 once, and they really did sound superb. But with each of those models costing over $1,000, plus the fancy equipment driving them (at least $1,000 more), I think I can wait.

I think my big problem is that I find a lot of the tech cool. My wife got me a Valhalla 1 (2 for reference), which is an all-tube amp. Look gorgeous, sounds excellent. Schiit also got fancy with their newest amp, developing a "solid state tube" so customers can switch between a tube hybrid amp and a pure SS amp.

So it's not that I "need" any of that, but it's just so cool that I want it...
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:48 am

So it's not that I "need" any of that, but it's just so cool that I want it...

Yeah I can relate. While I could find something better then what I'm using it may not be worth the effort and money I would end up spending.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:08 am

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro ---> Denon AVR-E200 reciever ---> Sennheiser HD555 headphones & Paradigm bookshelf speakers.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

gigafinger
Gerbil

Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:53 am

I'm using the Audioengine A2+ and love them. Built in USB-DAC and plenty of power (and bass) for listening at the computer desk.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered ... p-Speakers

I've been looking at putting a Schiit DAC/amplifier and AKG701/702 headphone setup. That's going to run around a grand though.
Last edited by gigafinger on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:54 am

gigafinger wrote:
I'm using the Audioengine A2+ and love them. Built in USB-DAC and plenty of power (and bass) for listening at the computer desk.

I'm actually thinking about picking up a pair for my work machine (rMBP+Thunderbolt Display). Good to know.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

gigafinger
Gerbil

Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:59 am

DancinJack wrote:
gigafinger wrote:

I'm actually thinking about picking up a pair for my work machine (rMBP+Thunderbolt Display). Good to know.

They are fairly directional, but that's a given at their size. I almost bought the S8 subwoofer, but for music it would be overkill. I would only think the sub would be needed to movies/games and super bass-head listeners.

The Egg

Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:02 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Have any of you reached a point that's "good enough" or do those of you with fancy setups always hanker for more - limited only by the outrageous costs and diminishing returns?

More or less. I have a pair of 10-year-old HD595s which I'm still happy with. There's better available of course, but I'd have to spend a decent amount for diminishing returns. Right now I just need to find a replacement pad for under the headband.

If I had it to do over, I'd probably get an external DAC and amp rather than the Essensce STX card, mostly to get a physical volume knob and not have to worry about drivers.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:10 am

My tower is running 7.1 through a dedicated onkyo stereo system using HDMI, its the best most price effect option out there. If you have AMD it can be a little annoying to do it if your monitor resolution is over 1080p but if you are that res or below its not an issue for AMD. Nvidia drivers let you send audio only over HDMI so that solves the issue of having a phantom monitor if you use a 2K or above resolution. Otherwise my headphones are a audio technica pair that were 80 percent off from amazon, meant for plugging into an amp for studio stuff I find them comfortable and perfect sounding. Mic is a web cam.

jmcknight
Gerbil

Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:30 am

I don't do much music listening through headphones while at my computer but I do have a nice set of Sennheiser Momentums. Other than that I keep it pretty simple. I use a LePai LP2020A+ amp driving a set of Kenwood bookshelf speakers. All in all, my speaker and amp setup cost me around $50 and it blows away any Logitech speaker setup I'd used in the past.
AMD A10 7800, Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16GB DDR3-1600 Corsair XMS3, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, 2 WD RE4 500GB SATA III (RAID1), Cooler Master Elite 130