Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Re: The Great Re-Encoding

Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:04 pm

Another minor footnote to the whole project... directory names of the re-encoded/transcoded albums are modified with suffixes to indicate source info:

- Albums ripped from CDs get no suffix.

- Albums ripped from vinyl get a "[V]" suffix.

- Albums downloaded as MP3s from Amazon or Rhapsody get suffixes of "[A]" or "[R]", respectively. (No, I don't use Rhapsody any more... do they even still exist?)

- Albums downloaded from Bandcamp (lossless) get a suffix of "[B]".

- Albums which were ripped from HDCD-encoded CDs and have been decoded to restore the original dynamic range get a "[H]" suffix.

Yeah, it's all a bit OCD... but this whole project was an exercise in OCD. So whatever. :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:22 am

I almost did something similar, but it got to be an eyesore for me.  I ended up just creating a text file with all that info, since it wasn't really necessary to see at all times.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:52 am

The suffix is only in the directory name, not the meta data tags. So it does not show up on the display of the Clip+ unless you are browsing the file system, and it is completely invisible in Poweramp unless you pull up detailed track info (to view full path to file).

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:24 am

I was just discussing with a colleague the other day about various mediums (namely optical) and how quickly the technology was adapted for *totally not illegal means* because of programs like Napster, Kazaa, Limewire, Morpheus, BearShare and all the other off spins of pre-torrent, post-newsgroups days. Not that I'm that old, but I was still in high school when kids were selling CD-Rs for $5 that included your choice of music. Now when I build a new machine I don't even include any optical drive.

I also get my music exclusively through google play for $10 a month I'd guess it is - Seems more than a fair price to pay for how much I use it.

I used to do video encoding that I completely automated with 'Super' before it turned into a heaping pile of crap (still out there on the internet). The last thing I did with any audio editing was with Audacity to make annoying mic spam for team fortress 2, but they killed that off.

"Anyway, here's wonder wall" - in .ogg format. :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:31 am

Another minor point... in the past, I've needed to manually trim a fraction of a second's worth of samples from the start and/or end of MP3 tracks purchased from Amazon if I wanted to get seamless "gapless" playback on albums where tracks run one into the next (e.g. live albums). At some point, the transcoding tools I use seem to have been updated to trim these extraneous samples automatically. This was a pleasant surprise.

I had figured there would be a background "rear guard" action going on for the next few months cleaning up gaps as I discovered ones that annoyed me, but it appears this will not be necessary. :D