Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Headsets with 0-latency monitoring

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:12 am

I currently have a Logitech G35 headset. I like it really well except that I can't hear myself talk. I have been trying to use it for conference calls and games alike, but I find myself shouting when I'm on the phone. If I turn on the "listen to this input" option in Windows, I get a speech jammer-like effect because of the half-second (or more) delay. 

I'd like to get something a little more friendly to my intended use. Either a headset where I can hear myself without a lot of sound bleed, or a headset that pipes my voice back into the headset without any latency.  Any suggestions?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Re: Headsets with 0-latency monitoring

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:15 am

Stuff an earplug in one ear. I recommend the foam ones, a wad of duct tape, or both.

Bonus: Set your headset balance to +30dB in that ear. Now you have balanced sound AND realtime feedback!

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:34 am

I don't think you are going to find what you want with a closed design digital headset. The ADC/DAC loop is always going to introduce latency.

You either need to switch to an analog headset (in which case looping it back through the PC should have lower latency), or an on-ear open design so you can hear yourself talk without going through the system at all.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:58 am

just brew it! wrote:
I don't think you are going to find what you want with a closed design digital headset. The ADC/DAC loop is always going to introduce latency.

You either need to switch to an analog headset (in which case looping it back through the PC should have lower latency), or an on-ear open design so you can hear yourself talk without going through the system at all.

USB isn't a realtime, guaranteed latency bus either. Personally, I'd go with an on-ear, open design, but probably because that's what I use in the office. Mine don't have a mic on them though. Since I have a private office, I just use the built in mic on my laptop.

--SS

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:52 pm

I've rigged something together but it's not entirely optimal.  My M-Audio M-Track Quad has zero-latency monitoring in hardware (just routes the inputs back to the headphones as well as sends it to the PC) so I plugged that in with a condenser mic (MXL V67G) and my Sennheiser HD280s. It works but now my desk is a jumble of cables. 

On the microphone I have the gain cranked way down and it's sitting next to my desk. It picks up PC noise and the outside, but it's certainly workable. 

I don't really mind open-ear cans, I just don't have any. I guess I could use the webcam microphone and some Apple earbuds if worse comes to worse. 
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

The Egg

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:01 pm

Hmm.....I have what I believe is a Logitech F540 headset around here somewhere (it was the stereo set specifically, not surround), and they have real-time monitoring built directly into the headset.  I'm surprised similar models don't have this.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:15 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
Personally, I'd go with an on-ear, open design, but probably because that's what I use in the office. Mine don't have a mic on them though. Since I have a private office, I just use the built in mic on my laptop.

--SS

I'll add that even my circumaural HD555's are transparent enough to ambient noise, including my voice, to not pose an issue.

SecretSquirrel

Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:20 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:
Personally, I'd go with an on-ear, open design, but probably because that's what I use in the office. Mine don't have a mic on them though. Since I have a private office, I just use the built in mic on my laptop.

--SS

I'll add that even my circumaural HD555's are transparent enough to ambient noise, including my voice, to not pose an issue.

The HD555's qualify as an open design.

--SS

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:25 am

Sorry, they're 'circumaural open' ;)

(I meant to put that, as a distinction between open on-ear)