Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Why hasn't the 3.5mm jack/port been shrunk?

Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:37 am

tanker27 wrote:
Because they always want the latest update. Even the average user cares about this. Maybe not 100% but yes the majority does care.

Ehh... you may have a point there. I guess my enthusiasm for "latest and greatest" tends to be tempered with "OK, what functionality did they remove, what tasks will I need to re-learn because things work differently now, and what did they unintentionally break?"

I *just* upgraded my primary desktop to Ubuntu 14.04 a couple of months ago. Yes, that's an entire LTS version behind. 4 versions behind if you count non-LTS releases. :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:47 am

JBI wrote:
"OK, what functionality did they remove, what tasks will I need to re-learn because things work differently now, and what did they unintentionally break?"

And there is another side of that applies to what tanker27 is saying.

The fragmentation means even the same android version can be extremely different when it comes to user interface.

IoS is just IoS. You can't accidentally become familiar with a vendor app that isn't available on an different handset (but same android version), you won't become familiar with touchwiz, etc...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:05 am

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:25 am

Captain Ned wrote:

But is it 3.5mm? :wink:

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:53 am

You know what I'd be amused by?

If Samsung (of course it'll be Samsung) decided to put a second headphone jack ("so you can listen along with a friend") on the Galaxy S8, just to troll Apple.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:56 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
You know what I'd be amused by?

If Samsung (of course it'll be Samsung) decided to put a second headphone jack ("so you can listen along with a friend") on the Galaxy S8, just to troll Apple.

Can a troll be trolled? Surely Apple is already The King Troll by patenting rectangles with rounded corners and winning a lawsuit with that ridiculousness....
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

seankay
Gerbil First Class

Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:00 am

Ikepuska wrote:
seankay wrote:
As much as I have analyzed it, they just want to bring the wireless culture in already and definitely they would love to be called the pioneers!

That's great in principle, but the other pioneer moves, like moving away from floppies or DVD drives happened because there were measurably, objectively BETTER technologies, and they were the first to accept that technology had moved on. Wireless audio tech is NOT in that bucket by any conceivable stretch of the word. It has a different set of trade-offs. Contrast with DVDs and later thumb drives there were, for all intents and purposes, no trade-offs that came off as worse than the technology it replaced.

I completely agree with your point if it is merely about technology, but when it comes to competition and Apple (that always consider itself to be the innovator) this is about being pioneer despite the fact that the 3.5 mm jack is not even near to be obsolete!

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:22 am

In other words, it is about branding and image (the need to be perceived as being on the bleeding edge), not what delivers best value for the money to their customers.

This is offensive to me.

Apple has had, on multiple occasions in the past, flashes of genius and innovation. This is not one of them.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:07 am

just brew it! wrote:
This is offensive to me.

I'll be able to plug my 3.5mm equipped HD 461I headphones into my iPhone 7 the moment I take it out of its box. There is no reason to be offended.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:30 am

just brew it! wrote:
In other words, it is about branding and image (the need to be perceived as being on the bleeding edge), not what delivers best value for the money to their customers.

This is offensive to me.

Apple has had, on multiple occasions in the past, flashes of genius and innovation. This is not one of them.

Yeah I'm offended myself when corporations do this as well.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:43 am

End User wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
This is offensive to me.

I'll be able to plug my 3.5mm equipped HD 461I headphones into my iPhone 7 the moment I take it out of its box. There is no reason to be offended.

It's an extra dongle you have to carry around (and which can get lost), an extra electrical interface (which introduces another potential point of connector failure), and additional cost that users must implicitly pay, even if it is included with the phone.

What's the advantage of this, again?

Sounds like more of a bug than a feature, unless you're willing to shell out another $160 for their AirPods (and are happy with the fidelity and comfort thereof).

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:06 am

· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:06 am

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:28 am

Glorious wrote:
I don't think I've ever had a male 3.5mm jack wear out.

I actually have seen one of these worn out and in bad condition, but it was the 3.5mm end of a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter that came with some high-end headphones whose cables ended in 1/4". Looked something like this:

The wear was pretty much because the weight of the big 1/4" was hanging off the end of the small 3.5mm connector, and the long 1/4" connector was applying a lever force on it. Something like this would've worked a lot better:

LostCat

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:07 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Sounds like more of a bug than a feature, unless you're willing to shell out another $160 for their AirPods (and are happy with the fidelity and comfort thereof).

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but there is one reason I think this could be a good thing.
Replacing a single purpose jack that a lot of people don't use with a multipurpose connector that everyone does.
For those who use the jack it's not optimal, but they're not left out in the cold either.
For those who don't, they can use it as whatever they like.
Kind of like PS/2/serial/parralel ports vs USB really, though I know the comparison might not be 100%.
Meow.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:15 pm

LostCat wrote:
Kind of like PS/2/serial/parralel ports vs USB really, though I know the comparison might not be 100%.

When they are going to put 2 or more Lightning/USB3-TypeC ports on the phones, then we will talk.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

LostCat

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:20 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
LostCat wrote:

When they are going to put 2 or more Lightning/USB3-TypeC ports on the phones, then we will talk.

Can't you daisy chain em?  I mean maybe it'd take more hardware in the first thing plugged in but it seems like it should be possible.
I haven't really read up on Lightning yet since I'm not likely to ever use anything Apple related.
Meow.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:21 pm

LostCat wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but there is one reason I think this could be a good thing.
Replacing a single purpose jack that a lot of people don't use with a multipurpose connector that everyone does.
For those who use the jack it's not optimal, but they're not left out in the cold either.
For those who don't, they can use it as whatever they like.

But by removing the 3.5mm and overloading the function of the charging port you force use of an extra adapter for people who want to use existing headphones, and further inconvenience people who want to use wired headphones and charge the phone at the same time. To charge and listen now you need a splitter, in addition to the headphone adapter! Maybe they figure if they make using wired headphones sufficiently inconvenient, more people will opt to shell out for the AirPods.

How did having the 3.5mm jack inconvenience the people who never used it? Oh, right... it didn't.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:28 pm

LostCat wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
LostCat wrote:

Can't you daisy chain em?  I mean maybe it'd take more hardware in the first thing plugged in but it seems like it should be possible.
I haven't really read up on Lightning yet since I'm not likely to ever use anything Apple related.

As JBI said, in the iPhone 7's case you need a splitter just to be able to charge and listen to music. If you are using an older headphone you will need the adapter too, which makes the whole contraption really ugly. For what? The space saved in the iPhone wasn't really repurposed for anything else (yet). So it doesn't make sense at this point.

And as others in the thread mention, is there anything else better in terms of sound quality waiting in the wings to take over? Not really. I know wireless is supposed to be the future, but until they can agree on a standard (fat chance with Apple always wanting to re-invent the wheel), and make it such that it can take higher bitrates (AptX is a good start but still not quite enough yet, plus adoption is still bad), wireless is not "better" in terms of audio quality yet.

LostCat

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:31 pm

just brew it! wrote:
How did having the 3.5mm jack inconvenience the people who never used it? Oh, right... it didn't.

I don't really disagree with you.  I think this is a dumb move on their part, but give it three years and people will be calling it revolutionary and magical because Apple.
The potential minor gains by removing it don't seem that important, but I have to assume they had reasons for removing it beyond pissing people off/making them buy new stuff.
Meow.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:39 pm

LostCat wrote:
The potential minor gains by removing it don't seem that important, but I have to assume they had reasons for removing it beyond pissing people off/making them buy new stuff.

My assumption is that they decided (correctly or not) that any lost sales from pissing people off would be more than made up for by the additional sales of (expensive) wireless earbuds.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:00 pm

I also think the DRM angle has merits too in all of these. This is the last analog hole left (more or less).

LostCat

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:15 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
I also think the DRM angle has merits too in all of these.  This is the last analog hole left (more or less).

Unless every single device maker out there follows suit, which seems hellishly unlikely in even the next ten years...what are we even talking about here?  That's like locking the gate but the fence is only a foot high anyway.
Meow.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:16 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
I also think the DRM angle has merits too in all of these. This is the last analog hole left (more or less).

Except that (at least in the iPhone 7 case) they are supplying the external analog 3.5" adapter with the phone.

But yeah, it's a "camel's nose in the tent" situation.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:59 am

I haven't missed it in my 7+ yet. AirPlay to the 2 Apple Tv's in the house and the only time I use headphones is the headset in the car which I've swapped for the new set. I doubt I'll ever use the included adapter.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:47 pm

Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:55 pm

yogibbear wrote:
http://appleplugs.com/

Snnnrrrggxxxhhxxggsxxxxhhxxsssxx *SNORT*
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

End User

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:23 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
I also think the DRM angle has merits too in all of these.

Apple led the charge on DRM free music. Apple always had DRM on its iTunes sourced rentals and purchases.

End User

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:56 pm

Apple may have been the first to eliminate the 3.5mm jack but USB Type-C will kill it:

Device manufacturers can eliminate the need for multiple ports and efficiently deliver data, power and video over a single connector with USB Type-C and USB Power Delivery.

http://www.usb.org/press/USB-IF_Press_R ... _FINAL.pdf

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:07 am

End User wrote:
Apple may have been the first to eliminate the 3.5mm jack but USB Type-C will kill it:

Device manufacturers can eliminate the need for multiple ports and efficiently deliver data, power and video over a single connector with USB Type-C and USB Power Delivery.

http://www.usb.org/press/USB-IF_Press_R ... _FINAL.pdf

I doubt that will be the case. What will happen is that phones and other devices will appear with both of them.