Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Antias
Gerbil
Topic Author

In-Ear (canal) Wireless Headset - recommendations please

Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi folks,
As always, putting this out there to see if anyone has any thoughts...

I am a chronic migraine sufferer, and thus cannot wear on or around ear headsets.
The pressure on my ears and surrounding area can trigger my migraines.
The best i've found is the Logitech ClearChat Comfort Wireless, but even they after 2 hours of gaming can be uncomfortable and trigger headaches.

However, I've found my in-ear (canal) bluetooth headsets for my mobile never give me triggered headaches and migraines.
My favourites are the Skullcandy Ink'd Wireless. I have more expensive pairs (i.e. Sol Republic Shadow Wireless), but these have decent bass and are very comfortable for long periods of use.

So I thought to myself why don't I pair these with my PC and use them as a headset for gaming, reducing my risk of getting heaches and migraines.
It turns out, as a PC headset, bluetooth isn't the be-all and end-all...
When I turn the mic/coms part of the headset on in the windows 10 audio settings, it drops the sound quality to almost am radio-like - very tinny.
If the bluetooth headset is switched to pure headphone, the quality jumps back up to awesome.
Temporarily i'm using the headset in headphone mode and using my mic on the webcam above the monitor for voice input.
This is OK but not ideal, I can't walk around continuing to chat with other gamers.

After much research, it seems this is a standard thing with bluetooth as a means for keeping the bandwidth requirements low.
i.e. when talking on the phone, the background music is usually turned off or restricted, allowing more bandwidth for voice quality.
Apparently this'll all be fixed up in Bluetooth V5.

It makes me wonder how bluetooth headsets for PC work this all out? (such as the logitech H800)
Anyway, after all this I was wondering what other people have done if they use in-ear (canal) wireless headset for gaming on PC?
Is there RF versions? (not bluetooth)
Is there something I'm missing that allows better quality without compromise?

At the end of the day, I must have in-ear type headset, but want the quality too.

Thoughts?

Antias
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: In-Ear (canal) Wireless Headset - recommendations please

Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:06 pm

hmmm, no one has thoughts on the subject... :)
I've been reading up as much as I can on the subject but nothing answers the question - how to make a regular bluetooth V4.0 headset work as a gaming headset.
Thanks everyone for looking though,
respect!
:)

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:43 pm

These might be worth a shot. I have their bluetooth lanyard with the Phantom Sabres, and they sound pretty good.

With the strong USD and weak British Pound, this might actually not be a bad deal (even at £150)

Edit: Oooh. Didn't realized the estimated ship date was not until February. (The good news is the earlybird pricing of £95...)
Last edited by cynan on Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:47 pm

Do you need them to be wireless? If you have a 3.5mm port on your keyboard you could get just a regular pair of ear buds with a mic on them, which most pair made for phones do.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Antias
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 pm

Anovoca wrote:
Do you need them to be wireless? If you have a 3.5mm port on your keyboard you could get just a regular pair of ear buds with a mic on them, which most pair made for phones do.

Yeah I do, I have one of those sit stand desks (Varidesk) and stepping around the office (really a home games room but we wont tell the tax man that!) is pretty common.