Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Atmos on MS platforms

Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:55 pm

Finally gave me a reason to stick some tape over an LED. Heh.

I have no idea if it will change my life, but it should mean more games supporting it at some point.
Meow.

LostCat
Topic Author

Re: Atmos on MS platforms

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:43 am

Apparently, $15 for Dolby Atmos for Headphones after a 30 day trial but the Home Theater one appears to be free (assuming you have the equipment for it of course.)

I haven't yet found a source describing the actual differences between Windows Sonic for headphones and Dolby Atmos for headphones settings. I don't use headphones often enough to really do my own comparison, but I could later on since I have some varied quality on mine.
Meow.

Kougar

Wed May 03, 2017 5:19 am

What're you using to play Atmos movies with?

Tried it with one blu-ray rip and VLC couldn't handle it at all, audio stream was corrupted. Was able to play the file fine with MPC-HC x64 though.

LostCat
Topic Author

Wed May 03, 2017 6:03 am

I'm not really using it for movies or games yet...it's just set as the output for everything.

I wish I knew more implementation details. At the very least it's odd that it won't let you set a specific resolution/bitrate with it enabled.

I suspect MS will be making XAudio 3 (or something new related/added to the spatial sound API) for X1/win10/Scorpio to further their changes already in progress, but we'll have to see.
Meow.

LostCat
Topic Author

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:10 pm

With my 290 for whatever reason it only seems to encode properly if I don't have my monitor hooked up to my receiver. I'm assuming it's a thing with HDMI 1.4 vs 2.0 (my receiver does 2.0 but my card doesn't yet, so I can't really investigate.) Or possibly an issue with the drivers/TrueAudio support that doesn't show up in normal usage, but I haven't been bothered enough to ask AMD about it.

My consoles are also hooked up to the receiver so I'm usually just going back to the original 5.1 setting.
Meow.

LostCat
Topic Author

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:20 pm

And now Netflix supports it...a little, and only on the Xbox One (original or S.)
https://www.neowin.net/news/netflix-now ... o-enjoy-it
Meow.