Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

morphine
TR Staff

Re: Think twice before buying digital downloads of anything distributed by Universal

Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:58 pm

Expanding on my post above: part of the issue is, I think, that the sibilance (apparently) introduced by the watermarking in the high-end can actually fit the music sometimes. No, of course I don't want an altered version of the original, but you can roughly say that sometimes the watermarking "works", I guess ?
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Think twice before buying digital downloads of anything distributed by Universal

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:47 pm

ludi wrote:
Ifalna wrote:

Interesting. I went through the entire test (in a less than ideal listening environment) and got the correct answer on pretty much all the softer/classical pieces. Anything with fast beats or electronica, nope. Couldn't pick the difference better than a guess.

I was in a fairly quite area with closed, over the ear headphones on and got pretty much the same results you did. If you read some of his discussion he actually notes that it is most audible in purer tones such as a piano. If you think about it, this makes pretty good sense.

--SS

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:31 am

ludi wrote:
Ifalna wrote:

Interesting. I went through the entire test (in a less than ideal listening environment) and got the correct answer on pretty much all the softer/classical pieces. Anything with fast beats or electronica, nope. Couldn't pick the difference better than a guess.

Yes, on the main site was a short sample with an electronic guitar. Much harder to hear out. I'd imagine that if you had trance or other electronic music, it would probably fall into the inaudible category.
It's a nightmare in classical music though.

His statistical analysis of the listening test confirms that.

I used DT880 headphones @ Titanium HD and my home is so quiet that my breathing is usually the loudest sound in here. ;)
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:59 am

Given the nature of Smells Like Teen Spirit, I suspect the only reason so many people picked it out is because the song is *everywhere* and is insanely famous.