Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Captain Ned

Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Re: Hi-Fi VHS: It really does sound good

Wed May 31, 2017 5:43 pm

Aranarth wrote:
On a similar note:
Did you know you can record binary data on VHS tapes?!
Yes there is a standard for it...

Looks like you could store 50GB on a tape.

That's too cool. I'd better be careful here. Wouldn't want to fall down the rabbit hole that is obscure ways to use VHS.
Gerbil In Training

Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:39 am

I think I must have been quite unusual in the late eighties/ninties as I recorded all my vinyl to VHS Hi-Fi and used "Backer" to back up all my PC hard drive data, I thought it was normal practice for techie people!
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:29 am

The only reason tapes were good is that they were rewriteable, leading to easy-peasy recording/piracy.

Don't forget to rewind the DVD before you take it back to Blockbuster!
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.
The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:02 am

Back in the early 90s, I had a friend who bought a high-end Mitsubishi Hi-Fi VHS player with a flying erase head. It had a full florescent display with power meters(!), which I had never seen on a VHS deck before. He recorded several Guns & Roses tracks on a VHS tape and played them for me. I remember being quite blown away. It sounded fantastic on his Radio Shack Mach-IIs. He played that deck until he wore the heads out. By then, of course, it was impossible to find parts for it.

A few years later, I bought a Sony Hi-Fi VHS deck for myself, but it didn't have the fancy pants power meters, to my disappointment. But, it still sounded amazing, though. Braveheart in Dolby Pro-Logic was the bomb back then. I still have that deck and it still works fine.
I wish I had gone to med school.