Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

setaG_lliB
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Hi-Fi VHS: It really does sound good

Mon May 29, 2017 1:37 am

The vintage audio geeks here at TR might find this interesting. I recently found a JVC VCR capable of recording Hi-Fi tapes. To put the machine through its paces, I hooked it up to my stereo and recorded some music from a few of my LPs last night. I'm completely blown away by how good stereo audio sounds on these NOS tapes. This is easily better than the best audio cassettes I've heard, and actually quite similar to good reel tape. I think those old claims that VHS can do 20-20000 might be true. :o

I made a quick video of the machine in action. Yes, you are hearing it through my DSLR's mic, but it's not that bad as far as built-in mics go.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Hi-Fi VHS: It really does sound good

Mon May 29, 2017 1:54 am

S-VHS Hi-Fi records the audio in diagonal stripes across the tape (like the video) instead of in a linear strip along the edge of the tape as regular VHS does. More tape covered per second = higher quality, given the same magnetic media and head capabilities. The 18½-year-old VCR in my AV stack is a JVC HR-S7500U. It's been at least two years since I turned it on.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Mon May 29, 2017 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon May 29, 2017 1:57 am

You're not far wrong. The main 2 audiophile mags (Stereophile and The Absolute Sound) both reviewed Hi-Fi VCRs back in the mid-late 1980s and loved the sound, but eventually came to the conclusion that the physical tape dynamics (narrow tape, rapidly spinning head) meant that tape life was abysmal.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 29, 2017 12:19 pm

I was just talking about this over the weekend, as an example of a format I'd never seen nor heard of back when VHS tapes were actually a common thing. I only found out about them in my twenties, from a very eccentric coworker who swore up, down and sideways that they were the best-ever audio format, infinitely superior to CDs.

morphine
TR Staff

Mon May 29, 2017 12:23 pm

And today on "formats I never heard of..."
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon May 29, 2017 12:30 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
You're not far wrong. The main 2 audiophile mags (Stereophile and The Absolute Sound) both reviewed Hi-Fi VCRs back in the mid-late 1980s and loved the sound, but eventually came to the conclusion that the physical tape dynamics (narrow tape, rapidly spinning head) meant that tape life was abysmal.

IIRC it wasn't digital; I believe it recorded an analog frequency modulated carrier wave on the tape alongside the video track. No error correction obviously, so imperfections in the tape could cause dropouts. But on a new tape it did indeed sound quite good.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon May 29, 2017 12:46 pm

Yeah, I think I'll pass.

I got rid of a dreadful tape-eating VHS machine many years ago and then decided just not to buy another one. I never missed it.

Long before that, I used to record radio programs with high capacity VHS tapes. Now I stream better content in podcast format.

I will NEVER miss tape devices. Ever. Good riddance.

morphine
TR Staff

Mon May 29, 2017 1:14 pm

"I absolutely love handling tapes." -- Nobody.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

toki
Gerbil XP

Mon May 29, 2017 1:23 pm

lol, in the mid 90s I used to hook my stereo up to the VCR and record samples off of the tapes for tracks I would try to make and so on.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon May 29, 2017 1:37 pm

just brew it! wrote:
IIRC it wasn't digital; I believe it recorded an analog frequency modulated carrier wave on the tape alongside the video track. No error correction obviously, so imperfections in the tape could cause dropouts. But on a new tape it did indeed sound quite good.

You are correct. Pure analog. The tape degradation due to multiple replays was so quick that the nervosa mags quickly rescinded their recommendations. That said, there was about 12 months where VCR manufacturers tried to grab a new market.

EDIT: As JAE alludes to above, the putative benefits of recording music to VHS came only if it was on the helically-recorded video portion of the tape.

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 29, 2017 4:07 pm

Interesting, I've never heard of HiFi VHS. I can definitely see why it didn't catch on though. It doesn't matter how good it sounds the first time if it degrades as quickly as VHS (video) tapes did. I've listened to audio cassettes that sounded fine after years of use, but most home-recorded VHS tapes look wonky the first time you play them and they get worse every time. Lets not even talk about recording over tapes multiple times.

While I can accept the fact that true analog recordings have advantages, its hard to imagine most of them being noticeably superior to a high quality digital recording, and the digital recording will never change no matter how many times the data is moved around or copied.
Fractal Design Define R6 - Ryzen 5 3600 - Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite - 16GB DDR4-3000 - PNY GTX 970
IBM 5150 - Intel 8088 4.77Mhz + TinyTurbo 286 7.16Mhz - 256K onboard + AST SixPakPlus 384K - 20MB Miniscribe MFM - Everex EV-659 EGA + Parallel

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon May 29, 2017 7:15 pm

Tapes still have a niche as an archival data storage medium where cost/GB and/or archival stability are important. LTO tape is pretty impressive tech.

TheEmrys

Mon May 29, 2017 7:47 pm

There was a video making the rounds a month or so ago HD VHS footage of NYC. Let me see... Yeah, here it is.
https://petapixel.com/2017/04/10/hd-video-new-york-city-1993-hard-fathom/

There are two YouTube videos embedded. One is the video, and another is about HD VHS itself.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 29, 2017 8:03 pm

morphine wrote:
"I absolutely love handling tapes." -- Nobody.

:lol:
No room here for a audiophile tape group i see.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Mon May 29, 2017 10:52 pm

Most movies on VHS had hifi stereo tracks, at least in the 90s. Some even had Dolby Surround embedded in the stereo track. They did sound good, but laserdisc always seemed to have a lot more low frequency oomph.

Free Man in Paris is a great song.
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 30, 2017 6:16 am

jackbomb wrote:

I agree. Were you listening to the original Joni Mitchell version, or someone else's cover version?

TheEmrys

Tue May 30, 2017 6:46 am

jackbomb wrote:
Most movies on VHS had hifi stereo tracks, at least in the 90s. Some even had Dolby Surround embedded in the stereo track. They did sound good, but laserdisc always seemed to have a lot more low frequency oomph.

I actually preferred our RCA Videodisc to our VHS VCR. It had stereo output, but the picture quality was awfully clear and never got worse.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue May 30, 2017 7:09 am

On a similar note:
Did you know you can record binary data on VHS tapes?!
Yes there is a standard for it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-VHS

Looks like you could store 50GB on a tape.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 30, 2017 7:14 am

There was also a multi-track digital audio recorder (from Alesis IIRC) which used VHS tapes as the media.

Edit: 8mm video tapes were also a popular data storage medium for a while back in the '90s. Exabyte was the biggest vendor of drives IIRC. Fermilab used a lot of them; with all the data that place handled they were always looking for cheaper ways to store massive (for that time) amounts of data. Unfortunately the 8mm tape transports did not hold up well under continuous 24x7 pounding and needed to be repaired or replaced after just a few months. For a while I had the dubious distinction of being the in-house "go to" guy for extraction and data recovery of eaten 8mm tapes. Had my set of Torx and small Phillips screwdrivers, and various makeshift implements fashioned out of bent paperclips, etc for disentangling the eaten tape from the mechanisms surrounding the head drum... :lol:

ultima_trev
Gerbil XP

Tue May 30, 2017 7:17 am

Ah.....................

Memories!

I had a Phillips/Magnavox Hi-Fi VHS back in the late 90's to early 2000's. By the time the PS2 came around I pretty much abandoned VHS for DVD in home theater use.
Ryzen 7 1800X - Corsair H60i - GA AB350 Gaming - 32GB DDR4 2933 at 16,16,16,36 - GTX 1080 at 1924 / 5264 (undervolted) - 250GB WD Blue SSD - 2TB Toshiba 7200rpm HDD

The Egg

Tue May 30, 2017 8:59 am

On a related note, if you guys haven't digitized your home videos yet, you might want to get on that. I did a combination of 8mm and VHS a few years back, and both formats were starting to get some significant degradation. I know some of the old archival movie films have held up well, but consumer-grade stuff from the 80's and 90's absolutely does not. If I had waited another 5 years, much of it may have been lost.

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Tue May 30, 2017 10:23 am

just brew it! wrote:
jackbomb wrote:

I agree. Were you listening to the original Joni Mitchell version, or someone else's cover version?

Was just listening to the original Joni Mitchell version that the OP was playing in the video. Definitely my preferred version. I'll have to find my copy of Court and Spark when I get home from work. :)

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 30, 2017 10:25 am

jackbomb wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
jackbomb wrote:

I was just listening to the original Joni Mitchell version that the OP was playing in the video. Definitely my preferred version. I'll have to find my copy of Court and Spark when I get home from work. :)

Ahh, OK. I didn't realize it was in the video, as I hadn't watched the video yet. The title cut and "Raised on Robbery" are great songs too.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue May 30, 2017 10:34 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
There was a video making the rounds a month or so ago HD VHS footage of NYC. Let me see... Yeah, here it is.
https://petapixel.com/2017/04/10/hd-video-new-york-city-1993-hard-fathom/

There are two YouTube videos embedded. One is the video, and another is about HD VHS itself.

Quite fascinating. There is one thing that unequivocally dates it, though: not one mobile device anywhere. Anyone who is talking is either engaged with a nearby person or praying to a preferred deity.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue May 30, 2017 10:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Ahh, OK. I didn't realize it was in the video, as I hadn't watched the video yet. The title cut and "Raised on Robbery" are great songs too.

Just beware that if you have the original CD version of "Court and Spark", you have one of the most abysmal CD transfers ever. Quant noise is everywhere (What? We can't run it into the red on digital??). Overplayed original vinyl is better than the original CD version.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 30, 2017 11:14 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Just beware that if you have the original CD version of "Court and Spark", you have one of the most abysmal CD transfers ever. Quant noise is everywhere (What? We can't run it into the red on digital??). Overplayed original vinyl is better than the original CD version.

My CD of it was purchased within the past couple of years. It's HDCD encoded, which strongly suggests it was mastered in the late '90s or early aughts. There's some noticeable clipping in a few isolated spots, but without having the original vinyl for comparison (I did not become a fan until later in life) I have no basis for saying whether this is a problem with the CD transfer or something that was present in the original source material. Overall, I'd say the sound quality is OK but not fantastic.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed May 31, 2017 7:44 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Just beware that if you have the original CD version of "Court and Spark", you have one of the most abysmal CD transfers ever.

Haha.

Have you ever seen the original DVD release of Outland?

Most abysmal DVD transfer ever.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed May 31, 2017 7:54 am

Outland.

Haven't seen that flick in decades, but I do remember it well and liked it when it was on cable 24/7. High Noon in space, but this time Grace Kelly gets out of Dodge and Frances Sternhagen has to play the role. Peter Boyle was good as well.

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Wed May 31, 2017 11:52 am

I believe I have the original CD release. From 1990. It doesn't sound too bad, although a bit thin in bass compared to that LP (vinyl??) to VHS dub...lol.
I had lots of fun revisiting Court and Spark last night. "Twisted" was such a fun way to end the album. :)

TheEmrys wrote:

I actually preferred our RCA Videodisc to our VHS VCR. It had stereo output, but the picture quality was awfully clear and never got worse.

I never saw RCA's videodisc, but back in the 90s a friend of mine had an awesome Laserdisc rig and yeah, it beat VHS to a pulp. The picture was oh so clear and the audio was even better. I'll never forget the time I first heard/felt those T-rex thumps in glorious AC3.

setaG_lliB
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed May 31, 2017 5:42 pm

BIF wrote:
Yeah, I think I'll pass.

I got rid of a dreadful tape-eating VHS machine many years ago and then decided just not to buy another one. I never missed it.

Long before that, I used to record radio programs with high capacity VHS tapes. Now I stream better content in podcast format.

I will NEVER miss tape devices. Ever. Good riddance.

Yup, VHS is indeed a cumbersome way to store music. I'm not going to sugarcoat it; CDs and even MP3s sound just as good. But having grown up in the 80s-90s, I long associated the format with terribad mono sound. I was just really surprised when my recording came out sounding so good.
Last edited by setaG_lliB on Wed May 31, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.