Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Anovoca
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Weather Station - Audio

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:17 am

Hey Gerbs
I am looking into building a live streaming weather station at my home. So far I think I have a good camera and barometer picked out:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Reolink ... 1f913e6248

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NI57C14/?t ... er-20&th=1

But more than anything, I want to make sure that there is a good audio setup to stream with the camera (the camera has audio but probably not good enough to record rain or thunder). I mean, what is the point of streaming a thunderstorm if you can't hear the thunder (or rain). This is unfortunately out of my comfort zone and I would like some suggestions from you guys and gals as to what my options are. I would like to stick to a budget of $100-150 as I'm not looking to spend more than $350 for the station total. The camera and barometer are both wifi devices that will stream data direct to the pc so a mic that has that ability would be fantastic but I am sure for best quality I will probably need something with an amp. Either way, one thing to keep in mind is that the PC hosting the stream will not be any where near where the weather station is mounting to the roof and I am not looking to run network or AV cables. I have room to mount a receiver near the server if needed though.

So I guess to sum what I am looking for:
- Sub $150
- Wireless transmission
- db range capable of recording thunder
- weatherproof (or provide weatherproof enclosure ideas)
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Weather Station - Audio

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:08 am

Unfortunately I can't give you any really good suggestions but I just wanted to say that this sounds like an awesome project.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:56 am

chuckula wrote:
Unfortunately I can't give you any really good suggestions but I just wanted to say that this sounds like an awesome project.

Thanks, I'll post a link once the site gets up and running with some hosted content. The real trick will be getting the streams to go live automatically when storm advisories are issued for the area. I only wish I started this project 2 weeks earlier. We had two funnel clouds within a 5-mile radius of my house in the past week alone. (no touchdowns, thank god) But the light show and cloud-scapes out my back window have been unreal to watch.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:46 pm

FYI Weather Underground provides some service for hosting these feeds already, though probably not live video, mostly live camera stills.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:42 am

liquidsquid wrote:
FYI Weather Underground provides some service for hosting these feeds already, though probably not live video, mostly live camera stills.

Where is the fun in letting someone else build the infrastructure?