Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

So this is where I'm spending the rest of my time in college.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:35 pm

That's just one of the studios and control rooms for the brand new building they built just for the film and audio students. It also has Dolby Atmos certified screening and mixing rooms, an enormous sound stage that is 100% acoustically dead, and the whole building is set up with a Dante audio networking system. The console pictured is a brand new Neve and I get to be a guinea pig for it.

This is a community college. I think I made a good choice in schools.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: So this is where I'm spending the rest of my time in college.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:41 pm

Yes I think you did. That looks like a pretty badass setup.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:50 pm

Well, good on ya.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

BIF

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:42 pm

links unavailable or broken.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:45 pm

Must be on your end, his pictures still show for me.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:47 pm

Sweet!

I'd contest the "100% acoustically dead" claim though. That doesn't look anything like an anechoic chamber.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:08 am

Nnniiiiicccee.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

BIF

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:09 am

bthylafh wrote:
Must be on your end, his pictures still show for me.

Yep, it's MalwareBytes complaining. Thinks the site is dodgy.

preview.ibb.co
outbound

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:22 am

Colombia TLD. Go figure. :lol:

Pics show fine for me though...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

the
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:14 am

It looks like there are a couple of RedNet MADI systems in those racks. I think I spy a Junger D*AP8 too. Nice stuff. Do you have any DAW machines with the Yamaha Dante accelerator card in them for editing?

I've recently proposed a bunch of Dante equipment for my employer from Biamp and Shure. Nothing studio quality, just venue installed audio but still great quality. The main thing to look for nowadays is AES67 support as that there is some sort of interoperability. I know a lot of gear from Harman Group (Crown, BSS, JBL) used their own variant of audio of Ethernet that is now gaining AES67 support via firmware updates. That simplifies things greatly so there is no Dante-to-BLUlink conversion.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:18 am

Ooooh you b*****d!

Slightly off-topic, as much as I praise and respect the history of Neve preamps, sounds, I have to wonder what's the point of that kind of mixing desk these days. Sounds (pun unintended) that it might just put the "Neve sound" on everything that's mixed there? I could be wrong though.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:41 am

That looks awesome! I'd love to get into that Dolby Atmos screening room! I've never visited a Dolby Cinema, but from all the reviews I've read on AVS Forums, it's about the best/most immersive theatrical exhibition experience available on the market today. The upcoming release of Blade Runner (The Final Cut) on UHD Blu-ray will probably push me over the edge and into 4K/UHD adoption at home later this year.

videobits
Gerbil

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:34 am

What school is this?

We just installed a Yamaha QL5 and some related Dante stuff in our video studios. Working well so far.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:43 pm

jihadjoe wrote:
Sweet!

I'd contest the "100% acoustically dead" claim though. That doesn't look anything like an anechoic chamber.

The pics aren't of the soundstage. They're just of the control room and live floor of the main recording studio. The soundstage is huge and all the walls are metal mesh with insulation behind them. You can scream your head off in there and won't hear a single millisecond of decay.
the wrote:
It looks like there are a couple of RedNet MADI systems in those racks. I think I spy a Junger D*AP8 too. Nice stuff. Do you have any DAW machines with the Yamaha Dante accelerator card in them for editing?

I've recently proposed a bunch of Dante equipment for my employer from Biamp and Shure. Nothing studio quality, just venue installed audio but still great quality. The main thing to look for nowadays is AES67 support as that there is some sort of interoperability. I know a lot of gear from Harman Group (Crown, BSS, JBL) used their own variant of audio of Ethernet that is now gaining AES67 support via firmware updates. That simplifies things greatly so there is no Dante-to-BLUlink conversion.

Yep, they're using RedNet for the interfaces and Cisco switches on the back end. I'm still very new to the whole audio networking thing and I only got a small peek at the systems so I'm not sure what all is in them, but I do know that the main rack for the Dante system has a computer on it with a screen and keyboard to control the whole system. They were saying each line can handle like over 500 audio channels. I love that on top of that, they have a network of analog cables connecting every room so that if you want to use a compressor on the other side of the building all you have to do is patch it into the wall, route it to your room at the main rack, and the analog signal will come straight out of a wall panel. Much better than having to pull gear out of racks and physically move it.
Pagey wrote:
That looks awesome! I'd love to get into that Dolby Atmos screening room! I've never visited a Dolby Cinema, but from all the reviews I've read on AVS Forums, it's about the best/most immersive theatrical exhibition experience available on the market today. The upcoming release of Blade Runner (The Final Cut) on UHD Blu-ray will probably push me over the edge and into 4K/UHD adoption at home later this year.

They played a few demos for us and it blew me away how pinpoint accurate the soundscape is. Then one of the teachers threw in a Steely Dan live DVD that was mixed in Atmos, which was quite a fun experience. What was even more impressive was the Harrison mixing console that they have for mixing in Atmos. It looks like something that belongs on the bridge of a space ship, even has a joystick!
videobits wrote:
What school is this?

We just installed a Yamaha QL5 and some related Dante stuff in our video studios. Working well so far.

Valencia College in Orlando, FL.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

BIF

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:33 am

Valencia is in direct competition with Full Sail University, which is almost right around the corner. Full Sail also has an IT program now! I hear UCF (University of Central Florida) also has a nice media program (and of course IT, too).

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:51 am

Wow, that would be fulfilling a life-long dream for me. Super cool.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Puolitwer
Gerbil

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:05 pm

Nice place. I hope you'll enjoy your stay to make your days worthwhile.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:05 pm

SCHWEEEEET
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

BIF

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:49 pm

At one time I wanted to attend classes at Full Sail. I wanted to learn audio engineering, recording, mixing, and mastering, but I didn't want to go for a degree-track. I already have bachelors and masters degrees in IT, and that's my day gig. I wasn't looking for a career track or even a certificate from Full Sail; just something to get me jump-started with some skills outside of the typical IT "stuff". I was figuring if it went well, I'd take some more classes on 3D art, drawing, character design, publishing, etcetera.

They could have made a lot of money off me!

But back then, Full Sail was only interested in students who would drop their entire lives to enter the curriculum and take their classes at all hours of the day and night, so they wouldn't even talk to me. Yeah, back then, there were people taking classes on third shift, because that's when they were offered. There was almost no way to even have a part-time job while going to school there. Hopefully that's all changed now.

I didn't know that Valencia had such a program, and I'm still interested in doing something like this. I may investigate that to see if night or weekend classes are available. Do you know if Valencia is affilliated with UCF like Seminole State College is?

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:10 pm

BIF wrote:
Valencia is in direct competition with Full Sail University, which is almost right around the corner. Full Sail also has an IT program now! I hear UCF (University of Central Florida) also has a nice media program (and of course IT, too).

From what people are saying, this new building puts them on par and in some aspects beyond what Full Sail has. I know a few people who have gone to Full Sail for their audio program and weren't satisfied. It's just so freaking expensive, I honestly don't know how they can live up to their own tuition costs. Especially with what Valencia has to offer now, and ESPECIALLY when they aren't regionally accredited. I don't mean to throw shade on them, but... okay, I kinda do. Something that really impressed me about Valencia when I first started there was that at least one year at AES, some of their students won a mixing competition against some of the biggest audio programs in the world. That's really saying something.
BIF wrote:
At one time I wanted to attend classes at Full Sail. I wanted to learn audio engineering, recording, mixing, and mastering, but I didn't want to go for a degree-track. I already have bachelors and masters degrees in IT, and that's my day gig. I wasn't looking for a career track or even a certificate from Full Sail; just something to get me jump-started with some skills outside of the typical IT "stuff". I was figuring if it went well, I'd take some more classes on 3D art, drawing, character design, publishing, etcetera.

They could have made a lot of money off me!

But back then, Full Sail was only interested in students who would drop their entire lives to enter the curriculum and take their classes at all hours of the day and night, so they wouldn't even talk to me. Yeah, back then, there were people taking classes on third shift, because that's when they were offered. There was almost no way to even have a part-time job while going to school there. Hopefully that's all changed now.

I didn't know that Valencia had such a program, and I'm still interested in doing something like this. I may investigate that to see if night or weekend classes are available. Do you know if Valencia is affilliated with UCF like Seminole State College is?

Full Sail has gotten a lot more flexible but so has Valencia. Most of my classes are either before 10am or after 5pm, and they have Saturday and Sunday classes available. Honestly if you're looking to get into this stuff, an AS at Valencia is a terrific value. They have four different specializations (music production, sound production which is more focused on live sound and is the one I'm in, audio engineering, and music business management). I know most people would say a degree in professional audio is a waste but I think this program is an exception for how little you pay compared to other schools and how much you get out of it. I mean, just look at those studios. I'm not sure what their policy is on just taking some classes without actually seeking a degree, but it would be worth going in and speaking to an adviser about it. And yes, they have the Direct Connect program with UCF but the direct transfer only works with their AA degrees. All of the professional audio degrees are AS degrees, which I think is pretty typical.

BIF

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks, I'll take this under advisement. It's nice to have options! 8)