Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Headphone market for 2018: Hot mess

Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:07 am

just brew it! wrote:
I had some really horrible ear wax problems ~20 years ago. Not unlike liquidsquid's wife's condition, it started to severely affect my hearing; I probably couldn't hear much above 4 kHz (maybe even lower). After repeated uses (over a period of a couple of weeks) of one of the over-the-counter earwax removal remedies, large chunks of impacted earwax fell out of my ears. I remember looking at the stuff, and thinking how the f*ck did I have all that sh*t in there?
:o

Barf

strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:32 pm

liquidsquid wrote:
No way in hell would I spend that kind of money on headphones. Unless they came with several live concerts from my favorite bands with it. Oh, and a pair of real speakers that can make you physically ill from the powerful bass.

On the subject of DACs
Modern DAC components and amplifier devices typically have amazing PSRR ratings (power supply rejection ratio). Meaning even with noisy power, most noise wont make it into the signal chain. These designs are necessary in the era of switching power supplies typically used for low power devices. Also switching frequencies are typically far above human hearing, but not mixing products. Again because of the PSRR rations, this is greatly reduced.

I am sure you can find some real crap designs, since consumer level stuff cuts every possible corner to compete on price. Also there is no requirement of a manufacturer to use a modern device.

The audio ICs paper specs are almost meaningless because the limiting factor on end performance always the design of the rest of the discrete circuitry.
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU

End User

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:10 pm

liquidsquid wrote:
So I just spent way more money on headphones than I ever have done, but what the hell, you only live once:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/headba ... wh-1000xm2

I have the first gen version. Amazing product.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:05 am

End User wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
I had some really horrible ear wax problems ~20 years ago. Not unlike liquidsquid's wife's condition, it started to severely affect my hearing; I probably couldn't hear much above 4 kHz (maybe even lower). After repeated uses (over a period of a couple of weeks) of one of the over-the-counter earwax removal remedies, large chunks of impacted earwax fell out of my ears. I remember looking at the stuff, and thinking how the f*ck did I have all that sh*t in there?

Barf

Oddly enough, I’m just leaving the urgent care due to clogged ears. They did they warm water flush and I had a clump of wax the size of a marble in each ear. Quite gross. At least I can hear now. I had had two days of hearing-through-water symptoms due to some water from the pool getting behind the wax and getting stuck.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:35 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
End User wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Barf

Oddly enough, I’m just leaving the urgent care due to clogged ears. They did they warm water flush and I had a clump of wax the size of a marble in each ear. Quite gross. At least I can hear now. I had had two days of hearing-through-water symptoms due to some water from the pool getting behind the wax and getting stuck.

Before I had the earwax problem myself, I did not realize there was room for something that large inside the ear canal!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:47 am

just brew it! wrote:
Before I had the earwax problem myself, I did not realize there was room for something that large inside the ear canal!

And you've had kids.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:59 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

And you've had kids.

My kids tended to get foreign objects stuck in their noses, not their ears.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:41 am

I'm glad that this thread hasn't yet degenerated to the "things living in orifices that shouldn't be living in orifices" stage that I was expecting.

Not because I'm above that, Oh no!

I see your spiders and cockroaches and raise you a nose leech. It's exactly what you think it is, so don't blame me for any outcome if you click on the link:

https://imgur.com/gallery/GFxoIND
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

End User

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:40 pm

I just upgraded to the WH-1000XM3 from Sony. Amazing sound quality via Bluetooth. The noise cancelling is even better than my MDR-1000X.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:24 pm

End User wrote:
I just upgraded to the WH-1000XM3 from Sony. Amazing sound quality via Bluetooth. The noise cancelling is even better than my MDR-1000X.

So far I've heard nothing but good things about these- Sony appears to have out-Bose'd Bose.

[in a good way!]

vonasi
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:34 am

Airmantharp wrote:
End User wrote:

So far I've heard nothing but good things about these- Sony appears to have out-Bose'd Bose.

[in a good way!]

Same here! The reviews I've come across until now have been positive might have to wait a bit to see whether they've achieved it or not.