Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Headset for Gaming

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:23 am

I've been browsing around to replace my Corsair 1300's that finally bit the dust thanks to my kids. Since I have a new rig, why not!

I of course gravitated back towards the Corsair headsets because they are unbelievably comfortable. It really is hard for me to find a headset I can not hate having on my fairly large head for hours on end, when I get the chance to game anyhow. I'm struggling with the realization that so many of the "Gamer" headsets out there are sold as USB only and of course want to throw in RGB on top of it. I don't care about either of those things as the Asus ROG Strix B350-F board has some really nice audio that I'd like to use. Just a standard 3.5mm is what I'm after but having a hard time finding the same quality stuff in 3.5mm. It's like everyone is purposefully moving away from it except your really pricey $200-300 headset/headphones. I'm trying to keep this price conscious, somewhere in the range of $50-80 but for the right headset wouldn't mind paying a little more than that.

Since my other headset bit the dust... This is what I've been using :o

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... lsrc=aw.ds

These suckers came out in 2003 if anyone remembers. I've had them that long but they were put away in a plastic container until a few weeks ago. The sounds pretty darn bad honestly, and they are as uncomfortable now as they were in my 2 day gaming sessions during LAN parties back in the mid 2000's.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Headset for Gaming

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:34 am

Most of the reccomendations you'll get from this crowd are a "mid-range" set of good headphones + a separate mic. It's the only way I've ever gone. Something like...

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD280 ... B000065BPB
(or open back https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-55 ... B01L1IIEKM)

plus

https://www.amazon.com/Antlion-Audio-Mo ... B00R98JVVU

Any interest in that?
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:43 am

I had to send these back because I couldn't stand the heat (..and they are better in that respect than most over-the-ear designs):

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500S ... F7DSFSE7DS

..and of course the V-MODA BOOM Pro to acompany it (as seen in their "frequently bought together").

The sound was about as good as it gets (truly) except in the high treble, and the comfort (other than the heat) was also "stellar". It's also pretty well made - but still fairly delicate; don't sit on it! :lol: (..and the BOOM Pro is built even better - and can withstand several "sit-downs".)

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:01 am

I'm with Dancing jack on this.

Buy the best headphones you can afford and like and just get a clip-on mic.

My preference for mic is the Zalman Zm-Mic1: https://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-S ... B00029MTMQ
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:19 am

The reason to get a gaming headset is the USB connector which provides recording and playback without the noisy EMI interference that you get from a laptop or desktop's analogue outputs.

If you really want 3.5mm connectors, stop looking at gaming headsets and start looking at normal audio headsets and get the clip-on mic, or look at phone headsets and use an adapter like this.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:16 am

I was recently in the same boat and bought a HyperX Cloud headset that I'm happy with. 3.5 mm jacks, in-line volume and mic control, sounds good, microphone is detachable if you don't want to just push it out of the way.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:49 am

I had been using the Corsair Vengeance 1500. I am now using the Sennheiser PC 373D (I find them more comfortable that the 1500s).

superjawes

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:55 am

I use the Massdrop AKG K7XX headphones for my headset (plus a modmic). I know that is well above your price point, but these are the most comfortable headphones I have owned (by far), SQ is excellent, too. If you're interested in really good headphones at all, they're at least worth peeking at.

Massdrop also have a crossover with Sennheiser for the PC37X headset. Still a bit on the higher side, but the mic is built in, these seem popular, and Sennheiser is a solid brand.

Now I don't have any relevant experience for Massdrop's AKG M220, but they come in well below the K7XX while keeping the headband design (which is a big part of the K7XX's comfort).
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:11 pm

superjawes wrote:
I use the Massdrop AKG K7XX headphones for my headset (plus a modmic). I know that is well above your price point, but these are the most comfortable headphones I have owned (by far), SQ is excellent, too. If you're interested in really good headphones at all, they're at least worth peeking at.

Massdrop also have a crossover with Sennheiser for the PC37X headset. Still a bit on the higher side, but the mic is built in, these seem popular, and Sennheiser is a solid brand.

Now I don't have any relevant experience for Massdrop's AKG M220, but they come in well below the K7XX while keeping the headband design (which is a big part of the K7XX's comfort).

Thanks everyone for the suggestions... I just took a leap of faith and specs on that Massdrop PC37x headset. The range looks great especially compared to my Corsair 1300 it is replacing. The Massdrop one shows 15-28k whereas my 1300's we're 20-20k. Also the Massdrop PC37x shows better mic specs and is capable of 119db. The sound card on this board shows it will go up to 113db. So I think this will be a good pairing. I'm optimistic about comfort according to the reviews so time will tell on that one.

Those headphones you linked that you have look great as well, but I would have a hard time spending $200 and then still having to source a quality mic. $120 for a complete headset was just about where I wanted to be at most for now. I figured I loved the Corsair 1300 and these look to be worlds ahead of the 1300 so, I don't believe I can go wrong.

Hell, even my old Zalman headphones sound more rich with this new motherboard. I didn't think the P67 Sabertooth boards audio was a complete slouch for it's time but it has nothing on the newer board.

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:03 pm

superjawes wrote:
I use the Massdrop AKG K7XX headphones for my headset (plus a modmic).

I have the AKG M220's from Massdrop. The set is lightweight and very accurate (50 ohm) monitors but bass is kind of weak with 35mm drivers. The pads are cheap plastic and makes your ears hot. So I changed those with velour ones from Beyerdynamic which fit just right and feel much nicer. They are open design so sound will be heard outside the cups.
I also have the Phillips SHP9500 which have larger 50mm drivers, better bass and also comfortable. These can become good headsets with the add-on microphone like others have suggested earlier. Each of these are often on sale new for about $50 from various online sites.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:20 pm

Since I grabbed myself a new headset I guess I should do the nice thing and grab the wife a nice one too. Unfortunately she HATES circumaural headsets, and doesn't care for in the ear style buds either (picky picky, I know). Curious if there is anything on the cheaper side that would be half decent for her in this realm. I'd imagine a table mic like she is using now would be fine or a clip on so it doesn't have to be a headset per se and the mic can be had later. I don't want her to get jealous of my new headset and feel like I totally forgot her because I haven't .

superjawes

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:41 pm

Welch wrote:
Since I grabbed myself a new headset I guess I should do the nice thing and grab the wife a nice one too. Unfortunately she HATES circumaural headsets, and doesn't care for in the ear style buds either (picky picky, I know). Curious if there is anything on the cheaper side that would be half decent for her in this realm. I'd imagine a table mic like she is using now would be fine or a clip on so it doesn't have to be a headset per se and the mic can be had later. I don't want her to get jealous of my new headset and feel like I totally forgot her because I haven't .

So...on-ear only? And plain headphones are fine? Maybe check out InnerFidelity's Wall of Fame for options. They've got separate pages for open and closed designs.

Also, what doesn't she like about circumaural?
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:49 pm

Personally not a fan of their sound, but Grado makes some good on-ears. Might take a peek.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:49 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Personally not a fan of their sound, but Grado makes some good on-ears. Might take a peek.

Yup.

http://www.4ourears.net/SR80_p/4e-sr80e ... mgrado=yes

http://majorhifi.com/grado-sr60e-vs-sr8 ... ifference/

deputy dawg
Gerbil

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:57 pm

I recently got a Logitech G230 headset and have been really happy with it. It has regular 3.5mm plugs but I did end up buying a cheapo SYBA USB sound card since my motherboard's audio is horrendous. Other than that they've been great! Nice and comfy and sound perfectly fine. The braided cable is crazy long but it comes with a velcro strap: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-981-000 ... B00BFOEY4I

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:19 pm

Alright, so after having this headset for a bit, and after my wife loved it so much and I bought her one.... I'm ready to say a few things about it.

1.) It is absolutely the most comfortable around the ear headset I've worn.
2.) Holy light weight Batman.
3.) The mic sounds crystal clear and doesn't make me want for more.. gaming in Discord anyhow, not production quality warmth.
4.) They are partially open ear, thought I'd maybe not like it, but love it, really nice sound stage no tin can reverb.

First impressions taking it out of the box was "Uhh, did I really spend $120 on this?" because it is so light and made of plastic, you'll have doubts. Once I put it on my head I completely realized why it is made the way it is and why it needed to be so light. I believe this was a design choice, not the product of trying to make the headset cheaper like most manufacturers. The ear cups are soft but very firm, making the headset seem to float perfectly around your ear, never touching. This was a big surprise to me as most other headsets like this, you feel your ears touch at some point. If my ears touch at all, it is only the very faintest amount and it's as if something is attempting to tickle the top of your ears, this usually only is felt when I'm moving the headset on my head. Speaking of which, I have a fairly large head, this headset traverses my dome with ease, leaving at least about 3-4 clicks on each side of adjustments.

The microphone slides down firmly, not relying on crappy notches that eventually wear out over time, although I'm not sure if this method will eventually become loose, allowing the mic to fall down during movement. While the headset is on, even when adjusted more loosely, I can shake my head left to right like a dog after a shower and not feel it budge much at all. I don't have to delay or slow down shaking my head to prevent it from flying off my head like more other headsets. It accomplishes this without putting almost any pressure on my noggin and the aforementioned ears.

Now, for what a headset is for, the sound. These sound fantastic. Take it with a grain of salt from someone who has never experienced true audiophile headphones before, but I can see what all of the hub bub is all about. The lows have a clean and concise reverb in bass heavy songs, while the mid and highers have a crisp sound that as my brother put it while trying them on "tickle the back of your brain". These were tested using Sony's FLAC audio file tests, as well as Amazon/Pandora music, Youtube, Path of Exile and Planetside 2. Each and every one of these gained a lot of depth and clarity that was not experienced before. Legitimatly there were times where I thought something was heard in real life, taking my headset off to figure it out.

I'd highly recommend them to say the least.