Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Help me choose a speaker for my folks

Thu May 31, 2018 10:51 pm

I'm looking for an easy to use speaker for my folks gazebo. They'd prefer corded power, bluetooth connectivity is a must since they both use iphones. Decent sound, not over 150 or so? It's for a sheltered outdoor patio where they have their hot tub.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Re: Help me choose a speaker for my folks

Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:17 am

Sonos Play 1
Bose Soundlink Color
JBL Pulse/Charge/Link
UE Boom

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:26 am

Most portable Bluetooth speakers can be converted to "corded power" with a USB charger and micro-USB cable. Just factor that into the price...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:29 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
I'm looking for an easy to use speaker for my folks gazebo. They'd prefer corded power, bluetooth connectivity is a must since they both use iphones. Decent sound, not over 150 or so? It's for a sheltered outdoor patio where they have their hot tub.

Is it going to be in inclement weather? If so, that REALLY cuts down your options. Also, having there is a weird separation between BT and corded power. Having BT means you don't get corded power in a lot of cases.

Waterproof - https://www.amazon.com/GreenMachine-Wir ... B014M909NC
This isn't corded for power, you just charge it via USB cable but it should be enough for listening sessions. They quote ~15 hours.

Another option: https://www.amazon.com/RTX01B-Premium-W ... 00IPSC6F6/

I think a Sonos 1 might be a good option if you expand your criteria (and budget) a tiny bit. Sonos is only Wi-Fi so that'll have to be a consideration, but you're going to get likely better sound from something like this than the others. You still set up everything from the app though so it's not that different than any other "wireless" speaker. You also get Alexa, which while it might actually be a negative to some, it's still nice for things like skipping songs, pausing, volume control, simple questions, and weather stuff. It also has corded power like you want so you don't have to worry about charging it. Sonos also says it's "humidity resistant" so the only thing you have to REALLY worry about is full on thunderstorms/rain.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/one.html
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:47 am

Try "Bluetooth Soundbar" as your new search term. It might get you to an all-in-one solution with corded power.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:23 am

Does it need to be waterproof? That's the key factor here.

If yes, "waterproof bluetooth speaker"
If no, "bluetooth sound bar"
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:14 am

2-Way Active Wall Mount Speakers

Then add something like this for bluetooth.

The bluetooth receiver isn't specifically rated for outdoor use, but as long at it is in a protected area that doesn't get direct precipitation, it would likely be fine.
--SS

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:25 am

This might be on the more portable and affordable end of your inquiry, but I bought my brother a Douni A5 ($53 on Black Friday) for Christmas. He needed something small and portable with good sound to take with him on cruise ships (he plays in the band). I did a fair amount of research beforehand (although there are thousands of products). He really likes it.

Good bass. It's bass-rich to my ears at low volume (low-volume personal playback in a quiet bedroom) but once you get to mid-volume and higher, the treble and mids come out.
25W, which is rather powerful for this type/price of product. It gets pretty loud, but I can't comment on how it sounds behind the drone of a hot tub pump.
Powered or battery (battery life is good)
Aux input
Bluetooth
Build quality is good.
Good amount of weight for its size. I typically assimilate weight and quality for speakers.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

rendyhous
Gerbil In Training

Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:20 pm

Sony XB10 is very nice, with good quality and features. I was looking for something robust to take to the beach, with loud volume, and long battery life, but also light weight and with just the right size. This speaker has all these features. The sound is very loud and without distortion, even at the maximum volume. The build is of high quality, as it is always the case with SONY products, and it looks very nice too. The bluetooth pairing is very easy, and the controls are intuitive. I particularly like the added detachable support, which allows to place the speaker horizontally greatly enhancing the sound quality. Also, while the speaker is at maximum volume and even standing vertically, the rubber bottom keeps it steady without vibration. Overall this is an excellent speaker to carry anywhere outdoors, or to just use indoors, and it is very recommended: https://www.audioreputation.com/best-bluetooth-speakers-under-100/.
Last edited by rendyhous on Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:18 pm

The Sony XB line is pretty good! but they are more on the portable/battery side (even if they're bulkier). I have a 2.1 Logitech Z337 with Bluetooth for my desktop/laptop setup and it's a pretty good balance between sound/price (I got mine open-box and not a single problem since I got them)

gonzch
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:15 am

Was looking for this and I would share my experience, when looking for bluetooth speaker as such open space it would be good to consider this things:
    Water Prof / Splash prof
    Portability
    Battery Life
    Easy Pairing

And here are the list that I have tried in many scenario which I think can help others when looking for a budget friendly bluetooth speaker with great features:

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:53 am

I vote for the Sony XB Line!! (I have their predecessor, SRS-X5 and its amazing). If you need waterproofness and ruggedness (because why not) you could also look at the Fugoo Tough (https://www.fugoo.com/speakers/) They have comparable sound, and they can go virtually anywhere! (within reason, don't beat it with a sledgehammer)