Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

New headphones/in-ear earbuds`

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:50 am

For the longest time I've used the white Apple earbuds that came with iPhones. I'd like a new pair, and my criteria are as follows:

-- Higher quality than the Apple earbuds. I've only used Apple's, but if there's nicer to be had, then why not?
-- Longer wire. I put my phone in my back pocket and if I lean over the wire pulls out of my phone too easily now. A longer wire should fix this.
-- Needs a microphone. I want to be able to talk or listen to music.
-- 3.5mm headphone jack
-- I do not want any kind of wireless headphones. I will not wear them.

Price should be as inexpensive as possible. Money is tight right now, but I have to buy something...
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: New headphones/in-ear earbuds`

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 am

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:59 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Conwork-Auxiliary-Extension-Headphones-Samsung/dp/B00ZNTPSQ4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1539010036&sr=8-5&keywords=3.5mm+extension+white

Cool, thanks. Doesn’t help me with broken headphones though :-p

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:20 pm

True. It was mostly tongue-in-cheek so I expected a stronger response :D

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:21 pm

Can you be more specific on the budget? In ears can be 10 bucks or they can be 1K. Just shoot something out and we'll try to stick close.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:36 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Can you be more specific on the budget? In ears can be 10 bucks or they can be 1K. Just shoot something out and we'll try to stick close.

Well, he's happy with the Apple earbuds, so he should be able to match those relatively inexpensively. Unless he's like 9 feet tall, this should work: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-A ... 06XPKL7QF/

Worst case is to add Usacomp2k3's suggestion to these.

The Shure SE215 is my go-to, but there's no microphone in them. I bought a pair about 18 months ago and I've got hundreds of hours on them. So consider that an alternative if you can do without the mic.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:40 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Well, he's happy with the Apple earbuds, so he should be able to match those relatively inexpensively. Unless he's like 9 feet tall, this should work: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-A ... 06XPKL7QF/

Worst case is to add Usacomp2k3's suggestion to these.

The Shure SE215 is my go-to, but there's no microphone in them. I bought a pair about 18 months ago and I've got hundreds of hours on them. So consider that an alternative if you can do without the mic.

That's why I was asking. I was going to post something within a few bucks of those, but if he wants 20 dollar buds I didn't want to blow his budget out of the water. There are actual decent earbuds at 20 bucks, too, so IMO a budget is pretty necessary here.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:43 pm

I'm no audiophile but when I've shopped for headphones or buds I've used Wirecutter to narrow down the choices. You don't give a price range so have a look through their round-ups -- their Best Earbuds Under $100 is a year old now (products come and go and change prices but the best then should still be fine); the best under $50 was updated a month ago.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:46 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
I'm no audiophile but when I've shopped for headphones or buds I've used Wirecutter to narrow down the choices. You don't give a price range so have a look through their round-ups -- their Best Earbuds Under $100 is a year old now (products come and go and change prices but the best then should still be fine); the best under $50 was updated a month ago.

Those were interesting reads. It is ironic that the wirecutter.com is giving reviews of wired headphones :lol:

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:53 pm

Wirecutter is actually pretty great. It's a part of the NYT tech group, and they do some serious research on products. I use them all the time as a jumping off point.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:07 pm

MEE audio M6 Pro

Those are my travel earbuds. I've got audio-technica M40x's both at home and work and I use the earbuds for travel. I use the memory foam tips for extra isolation, but they come with enough different styles and sizes of tips that you should be able to find something that works for you.

--SS

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:24 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:

i have these as well
they're quite sibilant when new but respond well to equalization
Trump 2020

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:52 pm

I didn’t give a specific price because I didn’t want to artificially restrict recommendations, but I did say that money was tight and I can’t spend that much money.

The AudioTechnica looks good, but it’s on the expensive side. The M6 Pro is prices more reasonably, and it looks like it’s hard to rip out of the ear. My only question is, why are the buds themselves removable from the wires?

I looked at the Wirecutter. I read other articles it publishes and am always confused by the sometimes oddball recommendations it comes up with. It’s a good starting point, but it’s recommendation for earbuds with a mic in the $50 or less price range doesn’t inspire confidence.

I’m not as concerned with sound quality for earbuds because I’m usually using them under adverse conditions: walking, running, mowing the lawn, etc. I want decent audio, but I prefer to reserve my money for real headphones, like another pair of Grados or something along those lines.

Any more advice from here? Always love the discussions.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:05 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
I didn’t give a specific price because I didn’t want to artificially restrict recommendations, but I did say that money was tight and I can’t spend that much money.

The AudioTechnica looks good, but it’s on the expensive side. The M6 Pro is prices more reasonably, and it looks like it’s hard to rip out of the ear. My only question is, why are the buds themselves removable from the wires?

I looked at the Wirecutter. I read other articles it publishes and am always confused by the sometimes oddball recommendations it comes up with. It’s a good starting point, but it’s recommendation for earbuds with a mic in the $50 or less price range doesn’t inspire confidence.

I’m not as concerned with sound quality for earbuds because I’m usually using them under adverse conditions: walking, running, mowing the lawn, etc. I want decent audio, but I prefer to reserve my money for real headphones, like another pair of Grados or something along those lines.

Any more advice from here? Always love the discussions.

They're removable so you can replace the wire if need be. It's actually really nice. I'll throw up a few more suggestions later now that I have some more info to work off of.

cegras
Gerbil First Class

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:15 pm

I'm quite content with my Bose SoundTrue. I think they're discontinued, but you can snap them on Amazon for about $70. They feature highly on rtings.com as well, which seem to be one of the few sites with sound testing methodology.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:15 pm

Thanks for all the advice, fellas. I got the M6 Pro. The buds fit very nicely in my ears and the mechanism that curls around the top of the ear seems secure, though I've yet to test it while running or working in the yard. Sound-wise, it feels like I can hear a broader frequency range compared to the standard Apple earbuds. I enjoy the sound a lot. It's not perfect, but these headphones are for noisy environments anyway, and I have better headphones for quiet at-home listening.

The M6 Pro is comfortable and sounds good.

Daynoh
Gerbil In Training

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:21 am

I love wearing in-ear earbuds when I'm mowing as they are light and comfortable. Currently, I'm using Apple Airpods.

After doing some digging, I came across many other exciting options:
[list=]Letscom IPX7
Powerbeats Pro
Panasonic Ergofit HJE120-K
Mpow sport IPX7[/list]

Source (https://workhabor.com/best-headphones-f ... -the-lawn/)

Otium IPX7 also won't disappoint you at less than $20