Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Re: New Poweramp for Android

Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:27 pm

cphite wrote:
Some people live or work in places where streaming isn't always available, or isn't always reliable.

And, some people like to listen to music they already own without having to pay someone else for the ability to do so. Poweramp works really well for this.

The full version is $3.99, so technically you are paying something... but it's a one-time cost. And $3.99 is lost in the noise.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:51 pm

just brew it! wrote:
cphite wrote:
Some people live or work in places where streaming isn't always available, or isn't always reliable.

And, some people like to listen to music they already own without having to pay someone else for the ability to do so. Poweramp works really well for this.

The full version is $3.99, so technically you are paying something... but it's a one-time cost. And $3.99 is lost in the noise.

Also there are free applications out there if you look hard enough... Poweramp just happens to be a lot more robust (in my opinion) for playing local audio on an Android device than most, so it's worth the couple of bucks to buy the full version.

The main reason I had it was that thing where Android wouldn't let the Google Music app play songs from extended storage - it had to be the built in memory. Not sure if they ever changed that (I've since migrated to the iPhone) but Poweramp was one of the few players I could find that had a good interface and could read from extended storage.

Personally, I like having my music local... especially when driving. Of course now that Apple has mucked up the iPod for my car, I've been streaming off my phone more :evil:

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:21 pm

I haven't tried Poweramp but I'll throw my hat in the ring for Blackplayer (android). It's got a fantastically easy to use interface that's well laid out while still retaining a ton of customizability and features. I use the free version and almost never see an ad, and I've yet to run into a feature I can't use because I haven't bought the full version.

Also, if we're going for "who has the largest music collection?" I'll just leave this here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/potd72o6eulr3kr/Music%20collection.png?dl=0

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:21 am

I am really disliking the new version. It is SLOW when it first loads up, after a minute or two things move at a normal pace. And the new UI, while prettier, isn't as intuitive as before.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.