Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

No sound except for volume changes in Win10

Wed May 01, 2019 8:20 am

My PC is doing something weird. No sound plays in any app. No YouTube audio, no sound from Windows Media Play playing an MP3, no sound from games, nobody can hear me on Skype (which means the microphone also isn't working), and I can't hear them. Nothing. Except for using the volume slider to turn things up and down. It's like every app is muted.

Spec: Dell Latitude E5570 (Skylake i7-6600U, 16GB memory, 512GB SSD, Radeon m370) - Win10 1809
Connected to a Dell monitor via HDMI
Also connected to a Dell AC511 sound bar

The default audio device is the soundbar, but I've swapped it around with the laptop speaker and the monitor's headphone jack. When I disconnect everything and the only audio device detected is the onboard Realtek audio, no changes. The slider's confirmation sound plays but that's it. Nothing is muted or disabled, though I've toggled that stuff on and off, too. No change if I use headphones or have them unplugged. I've removed everything from Device Manager, deleted drivers, reinstalled, and nothing. I also found the app volume and device preferences, and every app is set to 100.

I hear the confirmation sound either way, but nothing else plays. Not even the test sounds in the Windows sound control panel. It worked fine last Wednesday. Then I took a few vacation days, and it was dead yesterday. Spent time throughout the day fooling with it and no progress. I telecommute and my nearest office is like 3 hours away, and the helpdesk guy is all like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and I can send it to St. Louis if I want him to look at it.

I figured I'd try the forums first. :)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: No sound except for volume changes in Win10

Wed May 01, 2019 8:34 am

There are some pretty aggressive sound / mic controls in the Dell UEFI BIOS (I'm typing this on a work Latitude 5580), so I'd go through it to make sure things haven't been disabled, especially if Dell Command Assist has updated the BIOS on you recently.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed May 01, 2019 8:36 am

The check is set to manual and the last Dell Command Center check was last June. But I figured what the hey, let's check for updates, and I'll look in the BIOS. I'll post back. Thanks for the idea. :)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed May 01, 2019 8:43 am

FYI, Windows 10 is buggy with HDMI/Displayport montiors in regards to audio devices with sleep/suspend. It has an annoying tendency to revert to monitors as the default audio device after waking up from sleep regardless if your system default is something else. You have to force it back to get it working.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed May 01, 2019 8:59 am

Krogoth wrote:
FYI, Windows 10 is buggy with HDMI/Displayport montiors in regards to audio devices with sleep/suspend. It has an annoying tendency to revert to monitors as the default audio device after waking up from sleep regardless if your system default is something else. You have to force it back to get it working.

Windows 10 has bugs?! GASP say it ain't so!! lol :D

I run into this on occasion when i update my Radeon drivers.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed May 01, 2019 9:08 am

a) You have Admin rights to your work machine :P (yes, sometimes it's needed, I know)
b) disable any HDMI audio devices if not needed
c) Also make sure that the per-app volume is set up appropriately

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
The check is set to manual and the last Dell Command Center check was last June. But I figured what the hey, let's check for updates, and I'll look in the BIOS. I'll post back. Thanks for the idea. :)

This fixed it. Not sure if it's updated drivers or something that got reset in the CMOS, but after a BIOS update, I have sound again. Since it hadn't been updated in over a year, the cause is a mystery. :-/