Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Audio card with Dynamic Range compression software?

Sun May 17, 2020 6:41 am

Are there any audio add in cards that come with good software for adjusting the audio...all the 5.1 channels in volume/frequency etc.
What I really want is active Dynamic Range compression in the audio card/software.

One I had in W7 let you input the distance & direction of all the speakers. Room size and much more.
I'm thinking that W10 has killed a lot of that.

Have been doing a far bit of reading about this and it seems one trend is that you need separate hardware for Dynamic Range compression.
$80 and up.
I have read of software Dynamic Range compression but it seems to be in Pro software and costly.
And I don't know if even that is "real time" Dynamic Range compression.

Thanks.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Audio card with Dynamic Range compression software?

Sun May 17, 2020 7:56 am

Take a look at the latest cards from creative and see what it can do.

All sort of bells and whistles.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Re: Audio card with Dynamic Range compression software?

Tue May 19, 2020 6:38 am

Aranarth wrote:
Take a look at the latest cards from creative and see what it can do.All sort of bells and whistles.

Yeah, that is a mine field. I use optical and have read that you MUST have Dobydigital Live or some kind of compression to get 5.1 out of that.
Some cards have that some don't. Some don't even have optical out. You have to be so,so careful checking out all the details.

Finding someone that has done an in depth review of the card's software is much more difficult.
Seems more and more that the software side is left to rot. My Asus Xonar drivers are from 2015 ish.
From some of my reading "Realtek" seems to be just as bad.

I don't care about music at all. I want the ambient,directional wonderful sound I had 20 years ago...seemingly too much to ask for.
Do have to say I don't really know how much of the loss is due to the game or due to the soundcard.

Thanks.