Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

 
tempeteduson
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Houston, TX

X-Fi XtremeGamer Pics

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:07 pm

I just got an X-Fi XtremeGamer from Newegg on Monday, after seeing TR's Deal of the Day, of course. I thought I'd take a few pics of it for anyone interested.

Image
Image

I can confirm that the XtremeGamer uses the same Cirrus Logic CS4382 DAC and Wolfson WM8775 ADC as the rest of the X-Fi lineup (except for the Elite Pro). The op-amps look different, though.

Haven't had a chance to install it yet. The computer that it's going in has a HDD problem preventing it from loading Windows. :(
Antec SLK3700AMB, ASUS M2R32-MVP, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane, 2GB Corsair DDR2-675, Sapphire Radeon X1950 XT with Accelero S1, Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, 320GB Western Digital WD3200AAKS, Samsung Writemaster
 
20dB@10Hz
Gerbil
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:22 pm

Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:41 am

hi there,
I have noticed there is front panel connector.
Do you use it? Is it AC97 or HD Audio compatible? Or both?
P4 Northwood @ 2.2 GHz 2GB Corsair Value RAM Maxtor ATA 120 GB 7200 rpm Geforce Ultra 5900 X-Fi Platinum Antec 450Watt PSU Windows XP with this free antivirus
 
insulin_junkie72
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:19 pm
Location: WI, USA

Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:07 pm

20dB@10Hz wrote:
hi there,
I have noticed there is front panel connector.
Do you use it? Is it AC97 or HD Audio compatible? Or both?


It's HD-Audio compatible
 
20dB@10Hz
Gerbil
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:22 pm

Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:32 pm

good to know, thanks!
P4 Northwood @ 2.2 GHz 2GB Corsair Value RAM Maxtor ATA 120 GB 7200 rpm Geforce Ultra 5900 X-Fi Platinum Antec 450Watt PSU Windows XP with this free antivirus
 
deinabog
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:31 pm
Location: Bronx, NY-USA

Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:09 am

I have this sound card installed in my main box and it's by far the best Creative card I've ever used. There's definitely a market for sub-$100 sound cards as opposed to the $150-$200 monstrosities (of which I'm guilty of buying a few).

Except for the Elite Pro every card Creative makes should be of this quality and cost less than $100. I'm running Windows XP Professional so I haven't tested its performance under Vista. Yet.
A man must have a code -Bunk
 
Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2574
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:00 pm

Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:11 am

Looks nice, but I'm still not gonna upgrade from my Audigy 2 ZX until I can get something PCI-E
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:04 am

Corrado wrote:
Looks nice, but I'm still not gonna upgrade from my Audigy 2 ZX until I can get something PCI-E

Zs, you mean ;-) I had the Audigy 2 ZS platinum between my Audigy and my current X-Fi platinum. I loved that thing. It definitely had better low-end sound than the audigy. I only wish I hadn't accidentally fried the thing :cry:
 
king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4300
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:23 pm
Location: Browsing the web far and wide.
Contact:

Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:15 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Corrado wrote:
Looks nice, but I'm still not gonna upgrade from my Audigy 2 ZX until I can get something PCI-E

Zs, you mean ;-) I had the Audigy 2 ZS platinum between my Audigy and my current X-Fi platinum. I loved that thing. It definitely had better low-end sound than the audigy. I only wish I hadn't accidentally fried the thing :cry:


Hehe, I love my Audigy2 ZS gamer, $50 after MiR, which was worth it just for the games, /hug
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS
 
NeXus 6
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2566
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm

Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:47 am

deinabog wrote:
Except for the Elite Pro every card Creative makes should be of this quality and cost less than $100. I'm running Windows XP Professional so I haven't tested its performance under Vista. Yet.

Works great under Vista. I noticed a slight performance boost with some games over my Audigy 2 ZS. Alchemy works as advertised. The X-Fi Crystalizer adds a nice enhancement to the audio.
 
deinabog
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:31 pm
Location: Bronx, NY-USA

Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:58 am

NeXus 6 wrote:
deinabog wrote:
Except for the Elite Pro every card Creative makes should be of this quality and cost less than $100. I'm running Windows XP Professional so I haven't tested its performance under Vista. Yet.

Works great under Vista. I noticed a slight performance boost with some games over my Audigy 2 ZS. Alchemy works as advertised. The X-Fi Crystalizer adds a nice enhancement to the audio.


Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure about Creative's driver performance under Vista but this is reassuring :) .
A man must have a code -Bunk
 
Jive
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1573
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:14 pm
Location: San Francisco, California

Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:45 am

Lets us know how much you like it. My Klipsch 4.1 Promedia's are still waiting for a decent sound card to strut their stuff.
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.
 
deinabog
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:31 pm
Location: Bronx, NY-USA

Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:56 pm

Mysty wrote:
Lets us know how much you like it. My Klipsch 4.1 Promedia's are still waiting for a decent sound card to strut their stuff.


You may want to invest in the X-Fi XtremeGamer. I have a set of Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1s hooked up it and the result is aural heaven.
A man must have a code -Bunk
 
king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4300
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:23 pm
Location: Browsing the web far and wide.
Contact:

Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:49 pm

whats the difference between the extreme gamer and the extreme music?
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.



AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS
 
Klyith
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:27 pm
Location: Albany NY

Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:48 pm

king_kilr wrote:
whats the difference between the extreme gamer and the extreme music?

Not much...
The Extreme Music has a connectors for the special IO boxes, on the back for the external box and a header on the card for the drive bay one. The Gamer has connectors for "standard" front panel audio connectors that your case may have.

If you look around the web, you can find pinouts for the internal header on the Music card, so that you can put together some of the parts of the drive bay system yourself if you don't feel like paying $$$ for a headphone jack.
 
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Posts: 19255
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:55 pm

Did the pinout change from the Audigy2 ZS to the X-Fi?
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:25 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Did the pinout change from the Audigy2 ZS to the X-Fi?

For the front drive? I don't think so. My X-fi has the same connectors that my a2zs did, but those are different from the original Audigy's.
 
ALIAS
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 682
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:59 pm
Location: Texas

Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:39 pm

only other differences between the Ex-Gamer and Ex-Music is the Ex-Music is a wider card, has gold pinouts instead of colored plastic, and has a joystick/midi port.
i7-4770k, ASRock Z87 Extreme6, Radeon R9 270, 16 GB G.Skill Ares DDR3-2133, Creative SB Z, OCZ Vertex 460 240 GB SSD, 2x 1TB WD Black HDD, Windows 10 Pro
 
Klyith
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:27 pm
Location: Albany NY

Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:26 pm

ALIAS wrote:
only other differences between the Ex-Gamer and Ex-Music is the Ex-Music is a wider card, has gold pinouts instead of colored plastic, and has a joystick/midi port.

That isn't a juystick/midi port, it's a connector for the external breakout box ($180).

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
GZIP: On