Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

ShadowDog
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

New build sound problem

Thu May 28, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi everyone.

I've been lurking here for a while collecting all the parts for my first try at a new build. Got the last stuff in today and left work early to see if it all came together. Everything worked at first except the 7.1 sound. Only had 2 speaker sound. Messed around with settings and now I don't have ANY sound. System is the Christmas 08 build and follows:

Processer - I7 965 Extreme
MB - Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
Memory - Corsair 6GB DDR3 1600
GPU - (2) Zotac GeForce 260 GTX
HD - (2) Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
SSD - Intel X25M 80GB
DVD -LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray combo
Audio- Asus Xonar DX
TV Tuner - AVerMedia AVerTV Combo PCIe
Speakers - Logitech G51

Running Windows Vista Ultimate 64

I have the speaker input plugged into the audio card outputs.

I never expected everything to work on the first try, but didn't really expect problems with the sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pdh

wibeasley
Gerbil Elite

Re: New build sound problem

Thu May 28, 2009 9:02 pm

I've never used an add-on sound card, so don't take these questions too seriously. Is the motherobard's on-board sound working? Is there a setting to change from the on-board sound to the sound-card? Any chance some setting on the media card is interfering? Do you remember what settings were changed when it went from 2 working speakers to 0 working speakers?

eric93se
Graphmaster Gerbil
Location: Home of the most reprehensible false flag attack in the world.

Thu May 28, 2009 9:21 pm

Did you disable the onboard audio in the BIOS?

How much did you spend on that PC?
Increase your half open TCIP connections with the Half-open.com utility.

morphine
TR Staff

Fri May 29, 2009 3:34 am

You probably didn't have a problem in the first place. If you were listening to music, YouTube videos, etc, then you're only going to get L+R sound because that's all that exists in the first place. The source material has to be 4/5.1/7.1 in the first place.

As for music, there are many plugins for Winamp/Foobar/etc for copying music from front speakers to rear/etc. For videos, ffdshow has some extra settings for that as well.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

ShadowDog
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri May 29, 2009 7:43 am

I do have audio on the motherboard and finally figured out how to get that up last night.

I didn't change anything in BIOS to disable the onboard audio. I'll take a look at that tonight. I'm very nervous in BIOS.

I did check to make sure that I was using DTS media to check the system using a DVD. It is working fine on the motherboard audio.

As you can probably tell, I'm completely newbie with this stuff. Got really tired of buying games I can't play on proprietary systems that are only a couple of years old.

BTW, the price wasn't as much as the XMas build indicated. Not counting the monitor and peripherals, it came in around $3200. That 30" Dell monitor was worth every penny though! I was up all night with Oblivion.

Thanks for the advice and comments.

pdh

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 29, 2009 4:35 pm

Are you sure you didn't switch the settings that control whether it's the analog or digital output that's being used?

I know with the M-Audio software I could select different speakers setups. Only one of which is labeled "Digital". All the other settings were different analog settings.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri May 29, 2009 6:27 pm

If you have the SPDIF Out box checked, then you will get no sound at all. Your selections should be:

Audio Channel: 6 channels

Sample rate: doesn't matter

Analog out: 5.1 speakers

SPDIF Out: NOT checked

Virtual speaker and Pro Logic IIx are a preference thing, and you will just have to play with those to see if they suit your tastes.

Also make sure Hi-Fi mode is not on... it may force stereo. I don't remember, because I'm using the standard C-Media interface instead of ASUS' proprietary stuff. So, I don't have Hi-Fi mode or SVN.

Putting the card in 4, 5.1, 7.1, etc, will send music to all the speakers. I'm listening to it that way now. You may prefer 2- or 4- channel sound for music though. It depends on the quality of your center, spacing of the speakers, etc. Try different modes and decide what suits you best. I find 4-channel mode best for my music needs.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."