Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sound Issues

Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:43 am

Okay so I know this doesn't have to do with computers to much but I have an issue with my Onkyo SR-606 receiver. I am trying to connect my laptop to the receiver (VCR/DVR input) with an S-video and two RCA cables that connect into the headphone jack of the laptop (that Y-cable). I can get video without a problem, but my audio seems to have a problem. I have a 5.1 speaker setup and I have the VCR input set to play to all channel playback. When I plug the audio cables into the other inputs that are already occupied I get sound out of all the speakers using the same All Channel Playback, but when it is plugged into the VCR input I only get sound on the left side. I have tried putting in the cables multiple times, and restarting the receiver. As far as I know this used to work because my Wii used to be there but I just may have not noticed. No other settings have changed. Is it possible to short on of the inputs if the stereo is on/stanby and you plug it in because I usually don't unplug the receiver from the wall. (I know I probably should) Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

Richie_G
Gerbil XP

Re: Sound Issues

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:22 am

Shouldn't have shorted, but perhaps that particular RCA jack is KO'd: they do take some punishing force from forcing the connectors on and off, afterall. Had the same happen on an old Marantz receiver of mine.

You've tried another source and plugged it in to test both jacks on VCR mode? And do both channels on the headphones etc work ok when plugged into the headphone jack on the laptop?
Edit: scrub those suggestions since both channels are obviously working from the laptop, since you say you tested them with no ill-effect on the other channels on the amp. Sounds just like a broken connector to me.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: Sound Issues

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:08 pm

Richie_G wrote:
Sounds just like a broken connector to me.

That is what I thought. I just wanted to make sure before I send it to Onkyo to get it repaired, because I have only had it 6 months now and it is still under warranty.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.