Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

CB5000
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Need high impendence headphones (earbuds)

Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:15 pm

So I'm trying to get some high impedance headphones and while I have easily find ones with 40+ Ohm impedance on over the ear headphones, I can't find any that are in-ear type (earbuds) headphones. Those are all 16 Ohms, and I'm wondering if something like a 40+ Ohm impedance earbud even exists? I just much rather use ear buds since they are much more compact and portable than big bulky over the ear headphones.

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Re: Need high impendence headphones (earbuds)

Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:25 pm

"I'm wondering if something like a 40+ Ohm impedance earbud even exists?"

Oh, they exist all right; there are about three models here...https://www.etymotic.com/ephp/epcomp.html
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:35 pm

May I ask why you need high impedance?

Monoprice has these coming in at 32 Ohms. I'm seeing a couple more at 32, but nothing over that yet.

Also consider ear-pad (on-ear) designs, as you might be able to get some higher impedance without increasing the size too much. InnerFidelity keeps a Wall of Fame with suggestions in several categories.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

CB5000
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:40 pm

Some of those ETY ones are 300 Ohm impedence... wow.

I need/want it for my ASUS 750G laptop that contains a amplifier designed for high impedance headsets and speakers. The standard 16 Ohm ear buds that I have has a lot of hissing sound that is noticeable.

SecretSquirrel

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:56 am

CB5000 wrote:

I need/want it for my ASUS 750G laptop that contains a amplifier designed for high impedance headsets and speakers. The standard 16 Ohm ear buds that I have has a lot of hissing sound that is noticeable.

An inline volume control will solve that. $10 on Amazon. I had to get one for one of my past laptops for just that reason.

--SS

superjawes

Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:15 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
CB5000 wrote:

An inline volume control will solve that. $10 on Amazon. I had to get one for one of my past laptops for just that reason.

--SS

Probably the best solution.

Kind of weird that they have a high impendance on the output of a laptop, though...you'd expect most users to use more portable headphones, right? :-?
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

CB5000
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:08 pm

Well that laptop is a bit of a monster laptop.

The inline volume control thing works very well. Just put the volume from the computer to max, and then adjust the volume from the inline control. This eliminates the hissing completely. Thanks for the tip