Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

adamwzl
Gerbil

Re: Good 2.1 computer speakers

Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:11 pm

Oh Really? That's shocking. Are you on the West coast?

Here is the companies website http://www.prsguitars.com/

Here is guitar centers sale's for all PRS they have. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paul-Reed-S ... .gc?ipp=25

One thing to note is any PRS SE model is their Korean branch which makes the Student Edition for a cheaper price. Your cheapest PRS american starts at $1200 I believe. You will be able to tell instantly between a US and Korean as they share the same type of shape but the craftsmen ship in the wood of the US models blows it away.

I suggest playing one before buying anything or ordering it on the internet haha.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:30 pm

adamwzl wrote:
Oh Really? That's shocking. Are you on the West coast?

Here is the companies website http://www.prsguitars.com/

Here is guitar centers sale's for all PRS they have. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paul-Reed-S ... .gc?ipp=25

One thing to note is any PRS SE model is their Korean branch which makes the Student Edition for a cheaper price. Your cheapest PRS american starts at $1200 I believe. You will be able to tell instantly between a US and Korean as they share the same type of shape but the craftsmen ship in the wood of the US models blows it away.

I suggest playing one before buying anything or ordering it on the internet haha.

I'm on the East Coast. SC, inparticular ( i known, i know. I can't wait to move out west, or even Japan). Here's a pic of what I bought:

Sorry about the spaghetti junction cords, but this is the one free spot that the guitar an fit into:

Oh, and apropos of nothing, but here's some pics of my wee beasties:

Image - He's my youngest (5 y/o Lhasa Apso I resued)

Image - She's my pound puppy. No idea how old she is, and none of the vets I've taken her to can ID her breed, so She's just my mutt. When she isn't acting like a princess.

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:50 pm

<offtopic>
Sorry to continue this tangent, just would like to point out - don't play the brands game with guitars.

Seriously, you've mentioned brands I like (Gibson, Ibanez, PRS), but I'll be the first to tell you that above ~$700, any manufacturer has good guitars. What you need to do is eventually know what kind of sound and guitar feel you're looking for - you'll find this out in a couple years - and then go looking in all the manufacturers for what you need.

Looking back at the younger me that started to play the guitar, he would grab a Gibson Les Paul if he had the money. Nowadays, I'm thinking of an LTD (cheaper line of ESP) or perhaps a BC Rich, and dreaming of having the cash for a Mayones - all of this because over the years I realized what I want in the axe - meaty body, active EMG pickups (only two, I loathe guitars with three), a volume knob that stays out of the way, and a fixed bridge.

Oh, and quality control and overall tuning stability >>>> anything else.
</offtopic>
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:54 pm

morphine wrote:
<offtopic>
Sorry to continue this tangent, just would like to point out - don't play the brands game with guitars.

Seriously, you've mentioned brands I like (Gibson, Ibanez, PRS), but I'll be the first to tell you that above ~$700, any manufacturer has good guitars. What you need to do is eventually know what kind of sound and guitar feel you're looking for - you'll find this out in a couple years - and then go looking in all the manufacturers for what you need.

Looking back at the younger me that started to play the guitar, he would grab a Gibson Les Paul if he had the money. Nowadays, I'm thinking of an LTD (cheaper line of ESP) or perhaps a BC Rich, and dreaming of having the cash for a Mayones - all of this because over the years I realized what I want in the axe - meaty body, active EMG pickups (only two, I loathe guitars with three), a volume knob that stays out of the way, and a fixed bridge.

Oh, and quality control and overall tuning stability >>>> anything else.
</offtopic>

YEah, that's why I compared it to a teen getting his first car. An old beater is good enough to teach them how to drive. It's not like Mommy and Daddy are gonna buy them a high-end Lamborghini, Ferrari, or McLelan, since there's no way they could handle it.

BTW, the Epiphone was $180, and that was the top of the mark of what I was willing to pay, especially since RS2104 was $80, and I also had to get a stand, case, strap, Korg Tuner, insurance, and that string club membership.
IF you can get decent with an inexpensive guitar, you can really make an expensive Ibanez/Gibson/Vintage Stratocaster shine once you get good enough. :D

All told, I'm very happy with my purchase, especially since I'm a noob.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:59 pm

Hz so good wrote:
IF you can get decent with an inexpensive guitar, you can really make an expensive Ibanez/Gibson/Vintage Stratocaster shine once you get good enough. :D

Yup. And that's why I currently have cheaper guitars. :lol: Like morphine said, QC and tuning stability are by far the most important. My guitar stays in tune and it sounds great through the signal chains I have, I don't see a reason to spend more. I probably could have spent less, even. Rather than my Mexico-made Tele, I could have probably gone the Squier route and gotten something like this or this and be just as happy.

Of course, I'm only learning this now, having owned the Telecaster for a couple years, so right now the best path for me is to just keep playing it. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

bryan2112
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:54 am

$150 is probably a great budget to get started for an excellent Desktop PC setup.

Under this price, you can get a decent computer speaker along with a proper DAC+amp which will reduce digital noise coming from your PC and save it from hampering the quality of your songs.

Here's what I'd suggest for the price:

Speakers: Logitech Z623 2.1 Channel Multimedia Speakers ($109)
DAC: Creative Sound Blaster E1 ($45) - Small and powerful DAC + Headphone AMP

In the price range, there are also some other Bookshelf speakers that you can get... however they might make things complicated for you if you aren't aware on how to setup things and get them working.

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:04 am

Necro post :)
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

paulschoff
Gerbil In Training

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:31 am

+1 for Klipsch Promedia 2.1.