Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

bitcat70
Gerbil
Topic Author

Media player auto-starting a playlist

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:38 pm

Hi!
Are there mp3/media players that would automatically start executing a playlist upon power on? Preferably on a memory card?

mvp324
Gerbil

Re: Media player auto-starting a playlist

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:32 pm

I doubt there is one, tho when I turn my car on, the car will automatically start spotify through the Bluetooth connection. However sometimes I have to start the app, other times it will start on its own.
I tried searching "mp3 player playing playlist on startup" but it was all for software based. E.g. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 2e34d93484

I assume by mp3/media player you mean something like an iPod touch.
i7-4770K, ASRock Z87 Extreme9/ac, 2x EVGA SC 780Ti SLI, 2x G.SKILL TridentX Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400, Creative Sound Blaster Z, Samsung 840 EVO 120GB TLC (OS), Samsung 840 EVO 1TB MLC (Games), ZALMAN 1250 Platinum, NANOXIA Deep Silence 2 Mid Tower

bitcat70
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:02 am

Yup, most results are software based. However I found something that could work: Alcorn McBride DVM-7400. It's meant for video playback but also has audio out and supports playlists and scheduling. The only thing is that it's no longer made so ebay is the only source and current equipment from that company may be too advanced/expensive for my application. Maybe a RaspberryPi could be customized for that?

mvp324
Gerbil

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:16 am

bitcat70 wrote:
Yup, most results are software based. However I found something that could work: Alcorn McBride DVM-7400. It's meant for video playback but also has audio out and supports playlists and scheduling. The only thing is that it's no longer made so ebay is the only source and current equipment from that company may be too advanced/expensive for my application. Maybe a RaspberryPi could be customized for that?

I forgot to ask, what is the situation you are trying to work within? Is it for when you get in your car or when doing certain activities? I guess you could use a RaspberryPi, but I unfortunately have no experience in that area.
i7-4770K, ASRock Z87 Extreme9/ac, 2x EVGA SC 780Ti SLI, 2x G.SKILL TridentX Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400, Creative Sound Blaster Z, Samsung 840 EVO 120GB TLC (OS), Samsung 840 EVO 1TB MLC (Games), ZALMAN 1250 Platinum, NANOXIA Deep Silence 2 Mid Tower

bitcat70
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:32 am

No, not for a car. It's for a public area to provide background audio. So the size of the device should not be a constraint.

videobits
Gerbil

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:51 am

Roll your own with a Raspberry Pi and Video Looper.

Look for info here:
https://www.khm.de/~sievers/net/raspberry_pi_video_looper.html
And a nice guide on Adafruit here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi-video-looper/overview

Another guy at work set this up for a video playback project we were working on a couple years ago. It worked fine as I recall. It seems like there was just a half second or so of black as the unit got done with the last video and went back to the start of the playlist.
One slick feature of this software is that you can play from a USB stick and update live. Pull the stick and playback stops. When you put it back in the software starts playing whatever media files you've loaded.

This software is aimed at video. I don't even know if it will only play audio. But, if you only need to play a few files then rendering your audio with a still image to a video file might be easy enough.

Good luck.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:04 am

Reminds me of Zootech from a decade ago. I think he used a Sansa MP3 player back in the day.

defaultluser
Gerbil

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:34 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Reminds me of Zootech from a decade ago. I think he used a Sansa MP3 player back in the day.

Yeah, this is your easiest method. You can even plug in the player into USB while playing back, and never run out of power.

You just have to wait ten minutes for the media library to refresh whenever you insert a new card.

If you just want random play form a given playlist, that should be fine.

bitcat70
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:34 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Sorry, I'm not familiar with "Zootech" and google is not very helpful. Can you provide more info?

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:48 pm

bitcat70 wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Sorry, I'm not familiar with "Zootech" and google is not very helpful. Can you provide more info?

Long-ago forum member; nothing to Google.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:50 pm

bitcat70 wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

What Ned said:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16644

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:50 pm

bitcat70 wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Forum member from the early days of TR, banned over a decade ago for forum rules violations. IIRC at his day job he was responsible for creating the AV displays for exhibits at a fairly large zoo (hence the forum handle).

Edit: Looks like a couple of people beat me to it. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bitcat70
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:00 am

I see. Thanks!