Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

What's the best electric toothbrush?

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:59 pm

So I got my tax return, not bad, not bad. I still have some debt to, uh, service, so the majority goes to that. I might be able to squeeze a new video card out of it, but what I really want is one of them fancy electric toothbrushes. You know, because I think it ain't no good if it doesn't have electricity going through it. And I'm lazy.

I'm leaning towards the Sonicare HX5610, but I'm wondering if the mighty esteemed Gerbils have any input?
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Re: What's the best electric toothbrush?

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:50 pm

Hand ,fore arm, elbow...kinda in that order............wait let me get my dentures:)
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:37 am

Can't say I've ever thought about getting an electric toothbrush.

My entire 2014 refund went towards my 2015 Q1 estimated taxes (been temporarily doing the self-employed contractor thing).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:06 am

Yep, I tried my SO's electric toothbrush (with a new brush all of my own in it, of course), and the clean was a bit superior to my regular brushing technique. I've been brushing for decades now, and I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it. Anyway, as the joke goes, I want to do something for my teeth before they become like the stars, only come out at night.

JBI, I feel your pain. It's only temporary, which is some relief, I hope. I did the contractor thing for many years in the 00's, and while I liked that I could deduct just about everything from my taxes, spending a couple of weeks trying to remember where I'd put the receipts just wasn't one of my talents.

I'm gonna take the plunge, go electric. I feel it, man!

(Now then, a 970 or 290X? I'll need a new monitor, too, this one's starting to get a little faded in spots. Like a good pair of jeans.)

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:50 am

Wait and see what the 390X and 980 Ti do to pricing?

Otherwise, is the budget fixed for a new card and a new monitor? If so, I'd go 290X and BenQ XL2730Z, as the Nvidia solution lands you in 1920 rather than 2560 territory with Gsync (at least in UK pricing).

(Plus at 1920 the 970 outperforms the 290X which is only faster at 2560 and above :wink: )
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, RX Vega 56, 500GB Crucial P1, 2TB Ultrastar, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z + G2420HDB
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, RX 580, 250GB MX500, 1.5TB Barracuda
Laptop: MacBook6,1

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:46 am

So, somewhat on topic but: do you floss? At least for me, flossing twice a day has done more for my dental hygiene than my toothbrush (electronic or otherwise) has ever done. I've never really been one to get cavities though. Matter of fact, I remember reading somewhere that a regular toothbrush if used properly is just as effective as an electronic toothbrush. The issue is, most people (myself included), aren't consistent enough with their brushing habits and that's where the majority or problems come from. With an electronic toothbrush it's much easier, which I do like very much. The other thing electronic toothbrushes are good for is making sure you don't scrub too hard, which can be just as damaging.

Anyway, I think I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Sonicare- ... toothbrush

My wife and I got that as a joint christmas present one year, so that might be a bit out of your price range but I think it's great. Remember too: Unless your dentist tells you otherwise, always go for the soft bristles.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:54 am

Philips Sonicare brushes seem pretty good to me. I only had one before, a cheap Oral-B so I don't have a lot to go on but I would definitely buy Philips.

I am interested in these oral irrigators but they're expensive and the hoses seem to cause everyone problems. My teeth feel clean enough after brushing even if I just use a travel toothbrush (just a regular dumb toothbrush with a little vibrator in it). I won't use a normal unpowered toothbrush anymore because they just require so much brushing to get the coffee stains and plaque off. Enamel is not invincible and neither are your gums ;)
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:05 am

I've been using Oral B's electric (not ultrasonic) toothbrush for a few years and it's a huge improvement over a regular brush - between this and using mouthwash regularly my periodontal disease has completely gone away. It's got replaceable heads and I prefer the FlossAction one, but it's kind of expensive at ~$9 per head. Still, lots cheaper than having the dentist do invasive things.

I can't do ultrasonic brushes because the vibrations are so annoying and tickly.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:10 am

We have an Oral-B and the kids have a Phillips one. I don't think it really matters as long as it is one with the rechargeable handle and separate heads - i.e. not the disposable all in one that takes an AA. One slightly annoying thing is our Oral-B is only 120V while the kids Phillips is 120V-240V so when we go to England we have to borrow my parents charger.

I definitely find it keeps my teeth cleaner - if I go away and take just a hand toothbrush my teeth feel like they are building up a layer of fur that the electric removes when I get home. The hygienist at my dental office has commented on how clean my teeth are.

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:16 am

Yeah, I use one of those general Oral B ones with a wall charger and replaceable heads. It is definitely an improvement over a traditional toothbrush in terms of cleanliness, and the only real downside is that the head replacements are way overpriced.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

TwoEars
Gerbil First Class

Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:09 am

Cision Pro Mark 4

mattshwink
Gerbil First Class

Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:33 am

I use an older Oral-B rechargeable model, and have for about 5 years. We got a deal on a two-pack at Costco.

The dentist recommended it, and I do really like that it essentially helps me brush evenly and for the right amount of time.

As an aside, while I realize it can be hard to compute taxes if you have variable income (been there, done that) if you get a big refund you are giving the government a free loan. It is actually better to muck with your marital status (and dependents) to get less taxes taken out each check.

David
Silver subscriber

Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:59 am

We used an Orab-B for a couple of years before upgrading to the Sonicare. A cool thing about them is that it stays on for two minutes unless you turn it off, which helps a lot with consistency.

The dental tech that cleaned my teeth at my last checkup was surprised how little plaque I had when I told her I didn't floss(and I hadn't been in three years). Told her I used a Sonicare and she said that's what they recommend to people looking to upgrade.

I floss a bit now, but I can only use the picks. The spools are too much of a pain.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:03 am

drsauced wrote:
So I got my tax return, not bad, not bad. I still have some debt to, uh, service, so the majority goes to that. I might be able to squeeze a new video card out of it, but what I really want is one of them fancy electric toothbrushes. You know, because I think it ain't no good if it doesn't have electricity going through it. And I'm lazy.

I'm leaning towards the Sonicare HX5610, but I'm wondering if the mighty esteemed Gerbils have any input?

Not that one, unless you have gorilla hands and Popeye forearms. I used an older version of it in the past, and wasn't thrilled. The handle is large and heavy and that makes it more difficult to manipulate the head into the backs and undersides of things.

This model is pricier but IMO the small grip and lighter weight are worth it. My wife and I actually use this model, which is evey pricier, but mainly because my parents bought the Costco two-pack as part of our wedding present.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

gecko575
Gerbil

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:36 am

I have an Oral-B Triumph and for me it is a vast improvement over standard brushes. I did not take care of my teeth growing up and now I have to live with crappy teeth. I switched to an electric toothbrush because I was experiencing receding gums on my back molars even though I was flossing 4/week and brushing 2/day. My dentist recommended this electric toothbrush and I have not had a problem with receding gums since. I probably could get a cheaper model as I don't use any of the fancy features... Although I do like the timer it comes with.

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:32 pm

I use the basic Sonicare, not sure the model number but it's the big fat one. Worked great for about 18 months but now it won't hold a charge--battery is supposedly replaceable but even third-party batteries cost almost as much as a new unit. I keep meaning to upgrade but it's effort and I'm lazy; I do like Sonicare so I'll probably get whatever Costco has the best deal on.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:30 pm

IMHO SoniCare. My dentist believes so as well (though dentists may differ). It doesn't scrub so much as sonically loosen stuff. I find this superior for two reasons: 1) I have had problems with over-brushing in the past, and having a toothbrush scrub even more is the opposite of what I need -- this can cause gum irritation, which hurts rather than helps, and 2) it works really damn well.

Doesn't really matter which model -- they all brush the same. The only difference is extra "modes" that you'll never use. I use one mode: brushing. It's all I need.

tu2thepoo
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:52 pm

Like Ryhadar said, you don't need an electric if you practice perfect brushing technique, but electrics afford you more consistency - every dental hygienist/dentist I've been to recommend electric brushes. I've moved several times in the past few years and have been to many dental practices; it seems like brand recommendations vary based on preference and familiarity. To my knowledge, one brand isn't clinically better than the other.

I'm actually going to recommend one of the cheapest ones you can buy - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HW ... UTF8&psc=1 . It uses the same brush heads as Oral-B's most expensive models, so you get the same quality of equipment and relatively cheap replacements. It has a two-minute timer (it pulses when you're "done", so you don't over-brush), and that's it for the fancy features. I prefer it because you can use AA batteries - I stick a couple eneloop rechargables and swap them out when they get low. The expensive models with built-in Nimh/lithium ion battery packs are a pain to service (I had one), and the batteries wear out much quicker than you'd think.

If you're very conscientious about not running the battery flat and always have a spare outlet to charge, then the more expensive models might be better. But I use an electric because I'm forgetful and I don't want to think about things right before I go to sleep, so the cheapie AA model is better for me.

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:16 pm

TwoEars wrote:
Cision Pro Mark 4

Hah! Nice.

Buub wrote:
IMHO SoniCare. My dentist believes so as well (though dentists may differ). It doesn't scrub so much as sonically loosen stuff. I find this superior for two reasons: 1) I have had problems with over-brushing in the past, and having a toothbrush scrub even more is the opposite of what I need -- this can cause gum irritation, which hurts rather than helps, and 2) it works really damn well.

Doesn't really matter which model -- they all brush the same. The only difference is extra "modes" that you'll never use. I use one mode: brushing. It's all I need.

Lots of Oral-B folks. I'm flossing like a beast, twice a day sometimes. I got a fresh outta dental school dentist who gave me a flawless textbook filling (for one from the 70's that disintegrated), but I've now got to floss or I get infected. I think I'll go the Sonicare route, if for nothing else to match what my SO has. Much thanks! Wow!

DPete27
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:19 pm

Crest (arm and hammer) spin brush sonic.... it's perfect.

I have one of those cheapo Oral B electric brushes in my travel bag, they suck.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

David
Silver subscriber

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:12 am

We've had our Sonicare brushes for at least three years and haven't had any issues with our holding a charge. We don't even take the charger when we travel because the brush will hold a charge for a couple of weeks of daily use.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:04 pm

drsauced wrote:
JBI, I feel your pain. It's only temporary, which is some relief, I hope. I did the contractor thing for many years in the 00's, and while I liked that I could deduct just about everything from my taxes, spending a couple of weeks trying to remember where I'd put the receipts just wasn't one of my talents.

Yeah, I've done the contractor thing before too. Dealing with the tax paperwork was always a lot of "fun". This time around, the main issue is the COBRA premiums -- they are absolutely insane (an unfortunate side effect of my previous employer having very good health insurance coverage). If things had stretched out much longer I was planning to check out Obamacare, but there's no need now as I am supposed to convert to full-time status in a week.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 10, 2017 7:33 am

I'm seeing a pattern of necromancy from a small group of new users. I also suspect those new users are posting on each other's thread about a particular product however I don't have time to confirm. I'm running off my vague memories for the past few days.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

roncat
Gerbil

Wed May 10, 2017 7:39 am

My spouse is a dental hyg, and she uses this brush because it is the best currently available. The Oral-B's, etc. are OK, but the Sonic is the top of the heap.

I don't know how I feel about knowing this, lol...

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 10, 2017 7:40 am

Like I said.... Lol noticed the signature ad to. Whelp it got deleted.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Anovoca
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP

Wed May 10, 2017 7:56 am

This seems like a question better asked of your dentist or an oral hygienist. I do recall a friend of mine, who happens to be an oral hygienist, stating that there are 1 or 2 brands that are head and shoulders above the others, as they are pretty much a bare bones version of what she uses at work. I couldn't tell you the names she said though.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 10, 2017 8:28 am

I don't know what the "best" one is. I can recommend one that I think is very solid for a reasonable price though. That may be what you mean by best.

I've used a Sonicare Easy Clean for years and I love it. Only costs about $50 on sale, and you can get the brush heads for a pretty good price at Costco (be careful about ordering brushes from Amazon since you can easily get fakes). I think you can actually get a two pack of the brush bases and several heads for a good price at Costco. I don't really think you need to spend much more than that since the Easy Clean does such a good job.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10

ColeLT1
Silver subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Wed May 10, 2017 9:58 am

NovusBogus wrote:
I use the basic Sonicare, not sure the model number but it's the big fat one. Worked great for about 18 months but now it won't hold a charge--battery is supposedly replaceable but even third-party batteries cost almost as much as a new unit. I keep meaning to upgrade but it's effort and I'm lazy; I do like Sonicare so I'll probably get whatever Costco has the best deal on.

Same here, but even more basic of a sonicare fat model, mine takes 2x AA batteries (I use rechargeable). I cannot go back to a regular one.

I have had it for about 4 years now and my Dentist always talks about how good my teeth are (never had a cavity and 35yrs old).

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 10, 2017 10:03 am

Can we please kill this old necro thread? It's only relevant in 2017 if we're discussing new RGBLED toothbrushes.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

christos_thski
Gerbil

Wed May 10, 2017 10:43 am

Since the thread has been necroed and all...

https://www.amazon.com/DB4010-Oral-B-Ad ... ance+power

It's cheap, it's cheerful, it still does a much better job than manual brush, it takes standard oral-b heads and has no need for an unwieldy power plugged base. It just takes a couple of AA alkalines (seems like eneloop rechargeables would do, too).

I used to have an old power charging Oral B. At one point the rechargeable battery died, as they are prone to do. This one won't have this problem.