Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Re: What's the best electric toothbrush?

Wed May 10, 2017 11:09 am

Since the thread is alive again I'll chime in and say I use a recent-model Phillips Sonicare and I've used one with the older head mount. I can say that my dental office notices when I'm using my Philips tooth brush compared to not. The only cavities I've had came when not using my electric. I don't know if it's "better" than any other but it definitely makes a difference in my and my dental hygienists opinion.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed May 10, 2017 11:17 am

For the past ~4 years I've been using the Crest Spinbrush Sonic and I'd highly recommend it. Prior to that I used the Spinbrush/Spinbrush Pro/etc for 10+ years, but I feel that the sonic version does a better job. The Spinbrush Sonic replacement heads are a bit tough to find. IIRC Target is the only brick&mortar store that carries them.
I have an Oral B 3D White in my travel bag. They suck, but does a better job than a non-powered brush. The ONLY good thing I can say about it is that the battery life is excellent.....and it won't die so I can replace it (although I see that as a con)
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

willyolioleo
Gerbil

Wed May 10, 2017 12:50 pm

i agree with the above. get the cheap ass one. it's an on/off button and an electric motor, what more do you need? even $16 is a lot, i got the thing on sale for $8. It's compatible with all the standard oral B toothbrush heads.

Why pay $100-200 extra for features like:

- non-replaceable lithium batteries
- a timer to tell you when you have to move on too the next tooth
- Bluetooth connection to your phone so you can tweet to everyone how long you've been brushing
- uh...

seriously, 99% of dental care is making sure you brush for 2min+ and using a fluoride toothpaste.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed May 10, 2017 9:40 pm

The physics of a Sonicare are somewhat similar to an ultrasonic cleaning apparatus, so comparing it to the cheap knockoffs is a bit like comparing an industrial ultrasonic tank to scrubbing parts with a shop rag. Both have a cleaning function, but one of these things is substantially better than the other.

If you're going to use an electric, at least do it right and get one that actually does something useful. I don't know if the high end Oral B stuff features ultrasonic cleaning action or not, if so they're worthy of consideration too. But that's what you're looking for...the high frequency action, not a fancy brush or a huge list of features. A $30 basic Sonicare will work about the same as the $200 posh boy model.

Robotics
Gerbil First Class

Sat May 13, 2017 12:30 am

Use manual tootbrush not automatic. It's healthy for dentists area.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 13, 2017 4:37 am

Sorry, too much fake news.

I'm in the camp that Listerine is bad for you. Like they tell you, anti-bacterial kills all, good and bad(mouth wash is anti-septic), same with Listerine. Its toooo much.
Bigger isn't better. And you should address root cause instead of nuking your mouth indiscriminately.

Sonicare is same. First, it likely does do better job in short term, but because it has much higher strokes per minute versus other brushes. But why use an extreme tool in your mouth. Btw, im talking about 2017, not decade old stuff with weaker magnets/motors because of tech and or just cost back then.

I went for non-crazy Oral-B Pro 1000, because it does do a better job than just brushing(pretty good job at most flossing needs). Like it.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat May 13, 2017 2:08 pm

blahsaysblah wrote:
I'm in the camp that Listerine is bad for you...Sonicare is same. First, it likely does do better job in short term, but because it has much higher strokes per minute versus other brushes. But why use an extreme tool in your mouth.

First, a dissection of your proposed fallacy: A is bad, B is similar to A, therefore B is bad. See the problem?

Second, the Sonicare is not about strokes per minute, it's about using high-frequency vibrations to disintegrate nascent plaque deposits so they can't build up.

My dental visits have been reduced to 15 minute affairs due to a nearly complete lack of plaque, and gum recession has virtually disappeared, since I started using a Sonicare several years ago. Granted, I don't always have time to fiddle with it, so I typically use it about three times a week in the evenings and do a conventional twice-a-day brushing otherwise. But it does work and most people in any field of dental hygiene recommend it or one of its competitors.

What were you saying about fake news?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 13, 2017 4:28 pm

The sonic vibrations is just marketing. It's same as car salesman selling you advanced traction control feature, aka tires.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun May 14, 2017 12:36 am

blahsaysblah wrote:
The sonic vibrations is just marketing. It's same as car salesman selling you advanced traction control feature, aka tires.

Uh, sure. Say hello to Nurse Ratched for me.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:30 pm

I've used the same Oral B Pro for 16 years and it finally wore out (buzzing but not really moving the brushhead). But the rechargable batteries never did give up. So, I ordered the Oral-B Black Pro 1000 Power Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush Powered by Braun. So far, so good.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro